The BASS thread

Oh, this is interesting. A thread for the bass guitar, huh? Think I'll nominate my 3 faves:

Geezer Butler
Jean Jacques Burnel
Billy Gould

Last edited:

Marvin Gaye / What's Goin' On

3m 52s

Posting this bc it's such a treat to be able to see James Jamerson doing his thing. Little fragments only but better than nothing.

DWlFxi5XkAE2Z91.jpg

Jean-Jacques Burnel in 1977.

Tower of Power / Soul with a Capital “S”

5m 2s

This is one of the rare tracks from this period of Deep Purple that I’m not too crazy about! 😑
oh, don't get me started! I really dislike this song. I think it's awful. Boring song, dreadful, DREADFUL vocal performance, useless lyrics, the whole thing is just ... gah!

BUT ... the rhythm section ... aahhhh! I do love the drums and especially the bass line. I listen to the song maybe once every three or four years. The only other DP song I like is Child In Time - especially the live version. But the bass line here - omg! Divine!

Deep Purple / Highway Star
yeah, see, this is a No from me. I don't like DP, never did. They are not a rubbish band, far from it, but they never connected with me. It was all a bit - meh!

I'll defend my decision to include SOTW on the thread but I can't argue that DP are one of the greats. That would be a job for someone else, lol.

Francis Rocco Prestia / Fingerstyle Funk (bass lesson)

1m 37s
Wasn't gonna look at this. Ngl, I'm not the muso / techie type. Don't understand, don't wanna understand. But it was only 1m 37s which is my kind of video clip. So I watched it.

First of all, I did enjoy the playing. Awesome! Really interesting. Lovely tone. So I enjoyed that.

But, my god, the man's voice! Um, how can I put this - very 🥵 🥵 🥵 🥵

Dead on the floor!

Dennis Coffey interview - Tribute to James Jamerson Pt.1

Not much interview but there is a live recording of James playing with Dennis Coffey's band in 1969.

5m 22s

Francis Rocco Prestia / Fingerstyle Funk (bass lesson)

1m 37s
callling @MacMandy90 and @staywild23

Urgent call-out to the girls! :ROFLMAO:

sw23 prob won't even get this tag so this is really a call-out to MM90, lol.

Can someone - anyone - listen to the first 15 seconds of this vid and tell me where in America this guy's accent is from? I'm having a 🥵 moment over his voice.

So grateful. No hurries, anytime is fine. I'm dead on the floor, anyway, lol.

Can someone - anyone - listen to the first 15 seconds of this vid and tell me where in America this guy's accent is from? I'm having a 🥵 moment over his voice.

Poor Francis 😅

Awe dear, you're so thoughtful! :ROFLMAO:

He was from Sonora, California, so the west coast of the states lol

Back