The Beatles!

June 17, 2021 The Hollywood Reporter
the_beatles_embed.jpg

Peter JacksonÂ’s The Beatles: Get Back six-hour documentary series is headed to Disney+ for a Thanksgiving holidays debut.

The Walt Disney Studios, Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd. unveiled the timing for the bow on DisneyÂ’s flagship streaming platform, having opted against Jackson directing a single movie for a theatrical release. The Beatles: Get Back will comprise three episodes, each around two hours in length, and will roll out over three days on Nov. 25, 26 and 27 exclusively on Disney+.

“As a huge Beatles fan myself, I am absolutely thrilled that Disney+ will be the home for this extraordinary documentary series by the legendary filmmaker Peter Jackson,” Bob Iger, executive chairman of The Walt Disney Company, said in a statement.

The doc series promises never-before-seen footage to illustrate the camaraderie, genius songwriting and musical world impact of the famed Beatles rock band out of Britain.

The Lord of the Rings directorÂ’s Beatles doc draws from material originally recorded by Michael Lindsay-Hogg while the band was recording the 1970 album Let It Be, the seminal record that had the working title of Get Back. Lindsay-HoggÂ’s Let It Be film was shot in 1969 but not released until 1970, after the Beatles had officially broken up.

JacksonÂ’s most recent directorial effort was the critically acclaimed World War I documentary They Shall Never Grow Old.

“In many respects, Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s remarkable footage captured multiple storylines. The story of friends and of individuals. It is the story of human frailties and of a divine partnership. It is a detailed account of the creative process, with the crafting of iconic songs under pressure, set amid the social climate of early 1969. But it’s not nostalgia – it’s raw, honest, and human. Over six hours, you’ll get to know The Beatles with an intimacy that you never thought possible,” Jackson said in his own statement.

Ahead of the doc seriesÂ’ Disney+ debut, Apple Corps Ltd./Callaway Arts & Entertainment will release The Beatles: Get Back book on October 12.

Ok, I didnt read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if anybody else posted this, but during the last European date of the Bad tour, the show in Aintree, Liverpool, which I think was also the biggest show of the tour, the band played a medley of Beatles songs as the groove instrumental section.

Songs were:
Day Tripper
Taxman
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
Drive My Car
Lady Madonna
Let It Be

Ok, I didnt read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if anybody else posted this, but during the last European date of the Bad tour, the show in Aintree, Liverpool, which I think was also the biggest show of the tour, the band played a medley of Beatles songs as the groove instrumental section.

Songs were:
Day Tripper
Taxman
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
Drive My Car
Lady Madonna
Let It Be
@filmandmusic

Maybe this is the answer to the mystery! Remember? We were chatting about this ages ago when I was posting stuff over on the 'Michael in front of crowds' thread and this thing about the Beatles medley came up bc I posted stuff from the Liverpool Echo about Michael's Aintree gig.

The Beatles medley was mentioned several times in the Echo (2009, 2015, 2021) but no-one was talking about it in the YT comments under various YT vids about the show. Which seemed a bit odd but if it was just an instrumental thing done by the band then I can understand that.

I think we have our answer. :D

@R1chard

Where did you get your info on the medley? I'm intrigued. I tried to dig around but didn't come up with anything. And that's quite a long medley, there's a lot of songs in there.

@zinniabooklover

haha alright mystery solved!
I’d like to hear that medley, nice touch of the band.
Yep. :D

I really didn't think the Echo could be getting this wrong or lying. In Liverpool? Lying about a Beatles medley at a Michael Jackson gig? The whole city would rise up in protest, lol. So it had to be true but no-one seemed to be talking about it - not that I could see, anyway. Now I understand a bit better. If it was an instrumental thing a lot of people probably used that time for toilet breaks, getting food, whatever, lol.

I'd still love to know more about it. Did Michael choose all of the songs or did the band? It's an intriguing mix of songs. 🤔

Songs were:
Day Tripper
Taxman
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
Drive My Car
Lady Madonna
Let It Be
@R1chard

bumping this again as you've just popped up on another thread. I'd love to know where the info re this medley came from. Anything you can add to what you wrote here?

Sorry for the delay... Haven't been here for a while...

Where did you get your info on the medley? I'm intrigued. I tried to dig around but didn't come up with anything. And that's quite a long medley, there's a lot of songs in there.
I simply listened to it! I know all the Beatles songs and I just wrote them down as I heard them. Just find the whole gig on YouTube, the medley is perhaps 60% of the way through (worth watching the whole thing though).

There's like about a minute from each song. Yeah, Michael wasn't on stage. It was probably Greg's idea. Wasn't the medley slightly different every night? All professional musicians can play Beatles songs, they probably just chose the ones they liked playing the most (not all of these songs are based around an instantly recognizable riff).

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay... Haven't been here for a while...

I simply listened to it! I know all the Beatles songs and I just wrote them down as I heard them. Just find the whole gig on YouTube, the medley is perhaps 60% of the way through (worth watching the whole thing though).

There's like about a minute from each song. Yeah, Michael wasn't on stage. It was probably Greg's idea. Wasn't the medley slightly different every night? All professional musicians can play Beatles songs, they probably just chose the ones they liked playing the most (not all of these songs are based around an instantly recognizable riff).
Cheers for that. So helpful.

@filmandmusic - it's done. We have the final answer. :D

I don't know why I couldn't find the wretched gig online. Finally tracked it down on @MJbr2 YT channel. The gig is audio only but there's a time stamp for the Beatles medley. Keyboards very prominent. Fantastic audience participation. It's Liverpool so *of course* they're gonna join in. Lots of big noise for Yellow Submarine and Let It Be and then they all go crazy at the end. Fab!

Thank you, @MJbr2. You're like the cavalry!!!

Blackbird, Fool on the Hill, and Here Comes the Sun! I would rank those three up there with the aforementioned Eleanor Rigby and Penny Lane as my Beatles favourites.

That’s all. Over and out.

Blackbird, Fool on the Hill, and Here Comes the Sun! I would rank those three up there with the aforementioned Eleanor Rigby and Penny Lane as my Beatles favourites.

That’s all. Over and out.
Fool on the Hill. Yes! :)

"Fans of the Beatles and Paul McCartney can be forever grateful the greatest musical talent of the 20th century remained open to interviews and candid in his responses, barely a year after John Lennon's devastating assassination. McCartney seen here in his late 30's remains stoic, answering difficult questions, including his own drug bust in Japan, and as always Paul the epitome of cool."

“NOW AND THEN” TO BE RELEASED WORLDWIDE
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2 AT 2PM GMT / 10AM EDT / 7AM PDT

THE BEATLES’ 1962-1966 (‘THE RED ALBUM’) AND 1967-1970 (‘THE BLUE ALBUM’) COLLECTIONS EXPANDED, MIXED IN STEREO & DOLBY ATMOS FOR 2023 EDITION RELEASES OUT NOVEMBER 10

London – October 26, 2023 – Together and apart, The Beatles have always had a talent for the unexpected. And now, 2023 brings one of the most anticipated releases of their long and endlessly eventful history. “Now And Then” is the last Beatles song – written and sung by John Lennon, developed and worked on by Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, and now finally finished by Paul and Ringo over four decades later.

“Now And Then” will be released worldwide at 2pm GMT / 10am EDT / 7am PDT on Thursday, November 2 by Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe. The double A-side single pairs the last Beatles song with the first: the band’s 1962 debut UK single, “Love Me Do,” a truly fitting full-circle counterpart to “Now And Then.” Both songs are mixed in stereo and Dolby Atmos, and the release features original cover art by renowned artist Ed Ruscha. The new music video for “Now And Then” will debut on Friday, November 3. More details including global premiere plans will be announced.

I’m very curious how this song will be received. It’s the Beatles it will probably go on every playlist possible and storm the charts. That is unless the kids go “who’s the beetles”?

I’m very curious how this song will be received. It’s the Beatles it will probably go on every playlist possible and storm the charts. That is unless the kids go “who’s the beetles”?

From August 2023

The Beatles - Now And Then - The Last Beatles Song (Short Film)

lol, Friedmann is acting like it is a secret for fans to find a listening for the song. Every newsstation in the world reports about it.

A pedestrian song. Maybe it'll grow, maybe not. Quite liked their 90s "new" songs real love and free as a bird

A pedestrian song. Maybe it'll grow, maybe not. Quite liked their 90s "new" songs real love and free as a bird
f&m, posting as FYI

Last night, BBC One shifted its schedules to broadcast a film about the making of the “final” Beatles single, Now and Then. It was brief and rather moving, but it offered a tactfully bowdlerised version of events, understandably stepping around the parts of the story that might cause anyone to regard Now and Then with a wary eye. It talked about the surviving Beatles’ initial attempts to work up John Lennon’s late 70s demos in the mid-90s, but didn’t mention the slightly muted response the completed versions of Free as a Bird and Real Love received. It was the height of Britpop, the Beatles’ stock higher – and their influence on current music more obvious – than at any point since their split. And yet Free as a Bird – clearly released with the intention of bagging the Christmas No 1 spot, as the Beatles regularly did in the 60s – couldn’t dislodge Michael Jackson’s Earth Song from the top: by its second week in the charts, it was being outsold not just by Jackson, but Boyzone’s cover of Cat Stevens’ Father and Son."

Back