The Estate should put the 'B-Team' in charge of producing the next posthumous album!

Fuzball

Proud Member
The Estate should put Matt Forger, John Barnes & Bill Bottrell - aka the B-Team - in charge of producing the next posthumous album.

These guys have worked together on the bulk of the Encino demos. Thus, imho, makes them qualified, wherever it may be necessary, to work further on and complete those songs. Just my 2 cents though.

The Estate should put Matt Forger, John Barnes & Bill Bottrell - aka the B-Team - in charge of producing the next posthumous album.

These guys have worked together on the bulk of the Encino demos. Thus, imho, makes them qualified, wherever it may be necessary, to work further on and complete those songs. Just my 2 cents though.

Matt Forger maybe, but not Bill Bottrell.

I like Rodney Jerkins and Teddy Riley. Hahaha!

I hope we get to hear the unaltered versions of any songs they release like with Xscape.

I agree, Rodney and Teddy made some great collaborations with MJ.

I love the songs Michael did with Bill Bottrell... Who Is It, Give In To Me, Black Or White, and also Come Together... actually, I love the early Bill Bottrell-version of Dangerous just as much as the definitive track by Teddy Riley. So yes, I would love to have Bill Bottrell involved!

I would like Neff U and John McClain to produce the next album. Some of my top favourites posthumous songs are Best of Joy, Much Too Soon, Behind The Mask, Hollywood Tonight, Love Never Felt So Good. All of these songs were produced by McClain or Neff-U, so I would like those two to be involved in producing the next posthumous album.

I love the songs Michael did with Bill Bottrell... Who Is It, Give In To Me, Black Or White, and also Come Together... actually, I love the early Bill Bottrell-version of Dangerous just as much as the definitive track by Teddy Riley. So yes, I would love to have Bill Bottrell involved!

Imagine, if only Bill had been the sole producer on Dangerous the outcome could have been superior than the Teddy stuff. :love:

Just hypothetically speaking, if MJs entire 40 year spanning discography would consist of only Riley & Jerkins songs I surely hadn't become a MJ fan.

John McClain has done a good job with previous tracks. Mark Ronson I feel could also be a good shout. That pop/funk sound would suit MJ's material.

I think it all depends on the era the album is predominantly sourced from:

1980s - John McClain (since Quincy Jones won't say yes) / Matt Forger
1990s - Teddy Riley / Brad Buxer / Brad Sundberg / Bruce Swedien / Matt Forger
early 2000s - Rodney Jerkins / Brad Buxer / Michael Prince
late 2000s - Brad Buxer / Michael Prince / Neff-U

If I had to choose just ONE producer though, I'd go with John McClain. His reproductions have all been top notch in my opinion; he knows how to maintain the integrity of a track while still giving it a touch of completion. I'm still in awe of how he made "Love Never Felt So Good" a listenable track.

Just hypothetically speaking, if MJs entire 40 year spanning discography would consist of only Riley & Jerkins songs I surely hadn't become a MJ fan.

Well, of course, I wasn't speaking about a 40-year span. I was referring to the re-imagining/re-working of unfinished songs for a posthumous album, which is what I thought you were referring to in your first post. (???) I think Jerkins and Riley are good candidates for that job. Also Matt Forger, Michael Prince, Brad Buxer, Brad Sundberg, etc.

I agree with Always There, regarding John McClain, but I think he is not a well man, these days and perhaps isn't working on music any more. I heard that he suffered a stroke a while back.....not sure if that's true.

John McClain... wasn't it him who butchered "Behind The Mask" and added fisherman's accordion to "Much To Soon"?

If any of the people who worked on posthumous releases, I want HIM to stay away as far as possible.

John McClain... wasn't it him who butchered "Behind The Mask" and added fisherman's accordion to "Much To Soon"?
He was. So did Tedddy on HT, Lenny on AD, Rodney on Escape, etc.

The most authentic posthumously reworked and released song so far is "All in your name".

If any of the people who worked on posthumous releases, I want HIM to stay away as far as possible.

You're legit the first person I've ever seen who has described anything he's done as butchering lol.

My personal dream team for unreleased music would be Matt Forger, Michael Prince, Teddy Riley, Darkchild, Neff U and John McClain

I'd have Matt Forger and Michael Prince there throughout, guiding the project with first hand knowledge, then I'd bring in each producer for each era, John McClain for 80's, Teddy for 90's, Rodney Jerkins for early 2000's and Neff U for 2004-09 material. I feel each person knows those eras well and have an idea of where Mike was sonically in those eras. Plus with Matt Forger and Michael Prince guiding along the way you can't go too far wrong.

I feel this is were the Estate have gone wrong to a degree with unreleased material, the fans and most of the public, don't want Michael Jackson to sound like the current chart fad they want him to sound like himself, the one and only King Of Pop, Michael Jackson

Imagine, if only Bill had been the sole producer on Dangerous the outcome could have been superior than the Teddy stuff. :love:

Totally.

Michael doing his form of rock was something I felt he never explored far enough.

You're legit the first person I've ever seen who has described anything he's done as butchering lol.

I just have a strong heart felt hate for that Behind The Mask "update". It's so damn terrible. :D
He has the out-of-touch taste of an old man, who should never work on any MJ music again.
I'll take well made fresh new remixes like the ones by Timbaland anytime over McClains
pointless wanna-be-genuine clishe-rehash-updates.

Last edited:
I'll take well made fresh new remixes like the ones by Timbaland anytime over McClains
pointless wanna-be-genuine cliche-rehash-updates.
Isn't that what Bruno Mars does? He's really popular now. The Neptunes & Mark Ronson also tend to do retro sounds. Acts who sample are also basically using old sounds even if they put a new beat on it like DJ Khaled & Pitbull.

Isn't that what Bruno Mars does? He's really popular now. The Neptunes & Mark Ronson also tend to do retro sounds. Acts who sample are also basically using old sounds even if they put a new beat on it like DJ Khaled & Pitbull.

I have nothing against retro sounds. This has been a thing since forever in certain genres of music. But it's always a fine line to get it right and it needs to be paired with actual talent. It would be awesome of McClains updates would sound anything like Bruno Mars. But they don't. McClains music is stiff and plastered with poor clishes.

In his "Behind The Mask" update he added over the top 'typical' MJ-beatboxing; made a whole new refrain out of cut up hee-hee samples; made the whole groove sound like a typical carecature "MJ beat" (like when Michael gets mocked in 'comedy'); added an extremely lame saxophone intro etc. That's all in all just incredibly poor taste.

Last edited:

Lol Behind The Mask and Much Too Soon are like two of the best posthumous songs.

Totally.

Michael doing his form of rock was something I felt he never explored far enough.

I always wish Michael did a ROCK only album. Songs like Beat It, Dirty Diana, Give In To Me proved that Michael could have done a successful rock album.

Yes, because of what's left of the original in it. But just imagin the untouched 1982 Behind The Mask. :)

I really disagree here. We know what the original behind the mask sounds like, the remix is both faithful to the original and a modern update. Also I wouldn't describe the timbaland remixes as fresh or well made. They all sound dated even now.

I have nothing against retro sounds. This has been a thing since forever in certain genres of music. But it's always a fine line to get it right and it needs to be paired with actual talent. It would be awesome of McClains updates would sound anything like Bruno Mars. But they don't. McClains music is stiff and plastered with poor clishes.

In his "Behind The Mask" update he added over the top 'typical' MJ-beatboxing; made a whole new refrain out of cut up hee-hee samples; made the whole groove sound like a typical carecature "MJ beat" (like when Michael gets mocked in 'comedy'); added an extremely lame saxophone intro etc. That's all in all just incredibly poor taste.

I thought the heehees were part of the song originally. If not where did they come from?

Behind the Mask being littered with Bucharest ruined it for me

Back