The Estate should put the 'B-Team' in charge of producing the next posthumous album!

We wouldn't have Off The Wall, Thriller or Bad. Thriller wouldn't even be called Thriller if Michael would have worked with another producer.

Exactly. michael probably wouldn't of have those 3 albums with those album titles but he still probably have 3 albums (or more).

Nobody's saying that Quincy wasn't an integral part in three of the most popular albums in world history. But over the years his attitude and ego have absolutely eviscerated his reputation within the fan community.

It's also worth mentioning that talent CAN degrade. Quincy was delivering home runs in the '70s and '80s, but that was 30-40 years ago. He could have very well lost his touch by now.

Exactly.

Just let Stevie Wonder handle the music. Brilliant artist, great friend = lots of love for the project

:heart:(y)

producers

most people don't even know who Q is until they realize he was the one who helped him with 3 albums and at the grammys at 1984. and that's also make Q bitter.
Even without working with Mike, Quincy Jones is probably more known to the general public than most other record producers. How many people that's not a hardcore Beatles fan can see a picture of George Martin and know who he is? Same for Mutt Lange, Bob Rock, Phil Spector, Holland Dozier Holland, Gamble & Huff, Narada Michael Walden, Ted Templeman, William Orbit, Shep Pettibone, the Mizell brothers, Larry Smith, Rick Rubin, etc. The mainstream public might know hip hop era producers like Puff Daddy, Jermaine Dupri, DJ Khaled, Dr. Dre, or Timbaland. That's likely because they often say their names on their productions ("We da best music!") or appear in the artists music videos. Babyface is known because he puts out his own records as a singer and was part of a band The Deele. Jam & Lewis were members of The Time. Other than that, music producers aren't usually celebrities themselves, just like the session musicians who play on the records aren't. The media will say certain singers/bands have the most hits. Well they don't have more hits than the Wrecking Crew, MFSB, or Funk Brothers. :rofl:

I wouldn't mind Q did a posthumous album. but if he doesn't wanna do it i respect that. though, as long he doesn't talk crap about Michael.

I wouldn't mind if he did. it's not him doing all his albums just one or two. some artists handle music of other artists. though, i kind of agree with him doing his career and worry about a friend who's not here anymore.

Stevie

Just let Stevie Wonder handle the music. Brilliant artist, great friend = lots of love for the project
Stevie has only released 4 albums of new material since 1987, the last one came out in 2005. So it's unlikely he's going to do someone else's entire album.

NatureCriminal7896;4287487 said:
it's not him doing all his albums just one or two. some artists handle music of other artists.

What?? Stevie produced all of his albums since he did the Signed, Sealed & Delivered album. He produced Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness First’ Finale and Songs In The Key Of Life, which is arguably his best work....plus every album that came after that.

Without Q and the others (who were connected to Q) MJ would have continued to work and tour with his brothers throughout the 80s and 90s - probably the 2000s too.

Don't forgett to add Bruce Swedien!

Man.

That just hit me hard....i read it & thought about it. I guess in another reality it exist

Stevie has got his own career. Why would he want to handle Michael's music?

Well why not, they probably never asked him. You could ask the same question to other producers who worked for MJ posthumously
If you ask me this would bring a new project a lot of attention and anticipation for fans and critics.

Anyway I prefer just a boxset of all material , untouched by anyone

Quincy's recent ... well, strange behaviour may overshadow some fans' perception of him and I agree it's not fair, as he had an amazing contribution to the music world (BTW his work with MJ is just a small portion of his impressive catalogue). I respect his talent and impact tremendously. My reason for not wanting him to produce MJ has nothing to do with his questionable attitude, but the fact that after working with and learning from him MJ definitely moved on to follow his own path, and he did rightly so (Dangerous and History are superior albums IMO). Trying to recreate/imitate the magic of OTW and Thriller now would inevitably result in a failed attempt of clinging into the past, I'm afraid.

I agree that the best for the job could be those who helped MJ to materialise his visions, the likes of the B-Team or Brad Buxer etc. I can imagine them aiming at a result that is the most close to MJ's original intentions.

Anyway I prefer just a boxset of all material , untouched by anyone

Well, yep, me too basically. I like remixes/reimaginations too, just give us the originals as well, please. But in some cases when the demos are in bad state producers are still needed.

Nobody's saying that Quincy wasn't an integral part in three of the most popular albums in world history. But over the years his attitude and ego have absolutely eviscerated his reputation within the fan community.

It's also worth mentioning that talent CAN degrade. Quincy was delivering home runs in the '70s and '80s, but that was 30-40 years ago. He could have very well lost his touch by now.

Absolutely.

To put it like Michael wouldn't have had a solo career (worth speaking about) without Quincy is blasphemy to put it lightly.

For all the times people credit Michael Jackson's collaborators over the man himself, I put it this way, Michael never had a monopoly on hiring producers, choreographers, music video directors, fashion designers etc. etc. etc. If just anyone could hire these people and achieve stratospheric success and rewrite the book over and over then I'd say fair enough. And Michael's collaborators would go and produce albums for other artists in the years after and they would be massive too (I'm looking at you Quincy lol).

Michael Jackson was a genius. He worked with immensely talented people whose contributions I have no interest in suppressing.

Michael is top tier. All these other people exist on tiers below him.

ChrisC;4287561 said:
If just anyone could hire these people and achieve stratospheric success and rewrite the book over and over then I'd say fair enough. And Michael's collaborators would go and produce albums for other artists in the years after and they would be massive too (I'm looking at you Quincy lol).
I've never understood this idea of comparing record sales, chart positions, or how many awards a singer/band got as a way to say a performer is better than another. To me that's like saying McDonald's & Coca Cola are superior foods because they have "billions & billions" sold. Or Walmart is a better store than the mom and pop stores they put out of business. Music is not sports, there isn't a winner or loser. Backstreet Boys albums sold more than any by Miles Davis. Does that mean the Backstreet Boys make better music? Rock n roll sold more than folk, gospel, blues, or classical music and rock is an offspring of gospel, blues, & R&B. Look at the list of the highest selling artists, most of the Top 50 are white males. Does that mean white guys make better music than women or other ethnicities? Kanye West has won more Grammys than The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, Herbie Hancock, Diana Ross, Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand, Pink Floyd, etc. Beyoncé only has to win 8 more Grammys to be in first place with the most wins of any artist. Drake has more Hot 100 singles entries than anyone else. Is streaming music better than CDs, records, or tapes since streams are how more people today listen to music. They don't buy anything. Streaming is like a free jukebox.

Re: popularity

And Michael's collaborators would go and produce albums for other artists in the years after and they would be massive too (I'm looking at you Quincy lol).

I've never understood this idea of comparing record sales, chart positions, or how many awards a singer/band got as a way to say a performer is better than another.

I agree that comparing artists by chart positions/fame/etc. isn't fair and quite misleading actually (e.g. you can't compare mainstream genres with those that appeal to smaller audiences, plus don't forget the distorting power of marketing machines by big, almost monopolistic companies).

But this "why couldn't QJ produce a next MJ then?!" outburst is just a provoked reaction to the decades-old attempt of trying to diminish MJ's impact/talent/contribution IMO, and not a general comparison of different artists. It's quite clear that MJ was irreplaceable in this story, he had the vision and was the "sparkle" of this teamwork of many talented individuals. You couldn't just have the same team and achieve the same result with someone else (not to mention you wouldn't have Billie Jean, Beat It and WBSS, some of the strongest songs on an already strong album).

Last edited:
DuranDuran;4287575 said:
I've never understood this idea of comparing record sales, chart positions, or how many awards a singer/band got as a way to say a performer is better than another. To me that's like saying McDonald's & Coca Cola are superior foods because they have "billions & billions" sold. Or Walmart is a better store than the mom and pop stores they put out of business. Music is not sports, there isn't a winner or loser. Backstreet Boys albums sold more than any by Miles Davis. Does that mean the Backstreet Boys make better music? Rock n roll sold more than folk, gospel, blues, or classical music and rock is an offspring of gospel, blues, & R&B. Look at the list of the highest selling artists, most of the Top 50 are white males. Does that mean white guys make better music than women or other ethnicities? Kanye West has won more Grammys than The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, Herbie Hancock, Diana Ross, Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand, Pink Floyd, etc. Beyoncé only has to win 8 more Grammys to be in first place with the most wins of any artist. Drake has more Hot 100 singles entries than anyone else. Is streaming music better than CDs, records, or tapes since streams are how more people today listen to music. They don't buy anything. Streaming is like a free jukebox.

I agree. we really need to stop comparing people. somethings are just rigged just to give people sales etc. things are not like they use to be. you really had to have some kind of talent to get sales. nowadays they just being easy with people. i understand people need help to get where their wanna be but, you get what i mean.

I respect his talent and impact tremendously. My reason for not wanting him to produce MJ has nothing to do with his questionable attitude, but the fact that after working with and learning from him MJ definitely moved on to follow his own path, and he did rightly so (Dangerous and History are superior albums IMO).

Exactly. he want it to move on. while i'm not a big fan of dangerous and history some songs are pretty good. he want it to do his own things and move on. plus the music style was changing. so that why he went to get other producers to help him with his work. i don't see nothing wrong with that. all artists do that. Q just need to let it go.

Well, yep, me too basically. I like remixes/reimaginations too, just give us the originals as well, please.

i agree as well and me too.

DuranDuran;4287575 said:

I'm disappointed you have overlooked the wider point, but I feel I should clarify. When I used the word "massive" I meant in terms of the impact, influence, reverence and every other way Michael's albums affected the world and changed the game. Not solely in terms of their peak position, units sold or awards won.

I'm disappointed you have overlooked the wider point, but I feel I should clarify. When I used the word "massive" I meant in terms of the impact, influence, reverence and every other way Michael's albums affected the world and changed the game. Not solely in terms of their peak position, units sold or awards won.
Your earlier comment seems to imply that "if Quincy and/or his team are so great, then they can work with any act and have the same success as Mike". Someone like James Ingram is not really the same kind of singer as Mike, nor has the same image. So of course James is not going to sell as well.

If Mike had sold like Rick James or El DeBarge, would he have the same amount of impact worldwide or even in the US? Probably not, so it is still pretty much about how much he sold. Today a lot of younger people know about Rick because of a comedy skit, not his music per se. If The Jacksons had remained on Motown, it's unlikely he would have had the same success. Talent in itself doesn't necessarily sell records.

Your earlier comment seems to imply that "if Quincy and/or his team are so great, then they can work with any act and have the same success as Mike". Someone like James Ingram is not really the same kind of singer as Mike, nor has the same image. So of course James is not going to sell as well.

If Mike had sold like Rick James or El DeBarge, would he have the same amount of impact worldwide or even in the US? Probably not, so it is still pretty much about how much he sold. Today a lot of younger people know about Rick because of a comedy skit, not his music per se. If The Jacksons had remained on Motown, it's unlikely he would have had the same success. Talent in itself doesn't necessarily sell records.

It was said as an aside at the end of a much bigger point, and you've dismissed that entirely on the basis of one comment that was made pretty much tongue in cheek. As I said before, disappointing.

Back