The Estate & Sony should release HQ concerts and short films on home media & digital prior to the the biopic theatrical release on April 18th 2025!!!

Fuzball

Proud Member
So far reactions and media coverage regarding the biopic are surprisingly very, very positive.

From April 18th 2025 on people will come out of the theaters and search for MJs music, short films and concerts.

There shouldn't be any problem in satisfying the demand for MJ music. But what about short films and concerts? "The Vision" dvd box with its doo-doo quality is gonna meet the demand? Bucharest '92 and especially the state of the art remastered (and NASA approved šŸ˜) Wembley '88 dvd, too?

I hope Estate/Sony are clever this time and are already working on preparing new transfers for MJs short film catalogue as well as few concert footages to be released when the biopic hits theaters. Anything else would be a hugely waisted opportunity.

Branca could give 2fx about transfers. Took him almost 5 years to release thriller 4k in 2017. Can't wait for that... that....devilish guy leaves the estate.

It would be really great, new transfers of his short films should really be the number one priority in order to preserve his legacy I think, the current YouTube videos we have look awful.
Hope the Thriller and Beat It 4K transfers are a sample of what's to come in the near future without having to wait for anniversary editions of each album

I wouldn't expect anything before the film, that's for sure. Maybe, after, maybe.

Ok, next topic

It would be really great, new transfers of his short films should really be the number one priority in order to preserve his legacy I think, the current YouTube videos we have look awful.
Hope the Thriller and Beat It 4K transfers are a sample of what's to come in the near future without having to wait for anniversary editions of each album
It's been 2 years again and you shouldn't expect anything

Do you think they are able to convert them to 4K mate? The Beat It and Thriller restorations are great to be fair

Long time no see by the way my friend, hope you're well
They should be able to but cgi in some short films (Dangerous and HIStory era) could cause problems if they were edited on tape. They might have to redo the effects.

They should be able to but cgi in some short films (Dangerous and HIStory era) could cause problems if they were edited on tape. They might have to redo the effects.
That's really not something I'm concerned by, other than the estate being too lazy/cheap to do it (likely) there's really no reason it can't be done.

Do you think they are able to convert them to 4K mate? The Beat It and Thriller restorations are great to be fair
All Bad era videos as well as Say Say Say shouldn't cause any problems - as long as all negatives are in good condition.

If they do new scans, I wish they release all of them in their original uncut state. Especially Speed Demon, where in its current released state the beginning seconds are missing, needs to be fixed!

It would be enough if these are released in 1080p. A proper transfer from original master tapes (U-matic??) probably with little upscaling would be more than ok if compared to already 2000s releases.

All Bad era videos as well as Say Say Say shouldn't cause any problems - as long as all negatives are in good condition.
I think MPL owns the negatives in this case and I highly doubt Macca would be willing to lend them.

As I've said before, I definitely expect them to use AI for whatever batch of remasters they aren't actually making or doing anything about, as we've all clearly come to an understanding on.

As often as we talk about something they ain't doing.

It would be enough if these are released in 1080p. A proper transfer from original master tapes (U-matic??) probably with little upscaling would be more than ok if compared to already 2000s releases.
They should scan the original film elements in 4K. If they don't want to redo the effect shots they should upscale them or something.

Last edited:
They should scan the original film elements in 4K. If they don't want to redo the effect shots they should upscale them or something.
This is what happened with the Missionary Man video by Eurythmics. I don't know if the effects parts were upscaled though. But you can easily tell the difference in picture quality between the 4K non-effects parts and the other.

This is what happened with the Missionary Man video by Eurythmics. I don't know if the effects parts were upscaled though. But you can easily tell the difference in picture quality between the 4K non-effects parts and the other.
Also with Whitney's I Wanna Dance With Somebody video. The SD footage there is in poor quality and it affects the experience.

The thing with special effects, if they are done over would they try to duplicate the original effects or update them to a more current look like they did with the 1960s Star Trek show. Either way it won't be the same video. I think the early ones like Rock With You were shot on videotape, so not much can be done with those. Also unlike maybe a popular movie, music video compilations are not really as much of a seller today like in the VHS days. DVDs still outsell blu-ray & 4K discs put together. So the expense of scanning videos is generally not worth it to companies, even if the original footage was not thrown away. Some of the officially uploaded videos that are on Youtube as HD or 4K are really upscales.

Back