The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

220px-George_H._W._Bush_with_Michael_Jackson_%28cropped%29.png

Wow, I can even read most of it 😯🙂 😯
But I want to tell you about the big and beautiful letter "K".

It's Bukvitsa (initial) - a large, different first letter of a chapter, section, or whole book.

The art of book design began to develop actively in early Christian times, when texts appeared. Texts were considered divine, and therefore required special treatment. At the same time, the bookplate appeared as an obligatory part of book decoration.

Primers were lavishly decorated with colored plant ornaments and images of people or animals intertwined with geometric patterns. The symbolic language of ancient alphabets is very complex and in many ways has not yet been deciphered.

The secret meaning of the alphabet
Bukvitsa is a border point where everyday life is interrupted and another world emerges - the one the text tells us about. It is the point where the mystery of nature (plant ornament), the mystery of human feelings and passions (they are depicted by animals and people) and the mystery of the word (the mystery of the transformation of man and the world under the influence of the word) intersect.

In pre-press times, special artists were engaged in the design of letters, so in ancient books all the letters are unique.

But then the Bukvitsa began to disappear, as everything in the world is on the path of simplification and minimalism. But still in some books, you can still find alphabets and it's beautiful!

<so as not to ruin the mood, quietly abandons plan to post video clip of cold, snowy, blustery Britain>
Here it´s rainy, and we have some bit of sun ... then it was suddenly warmer today ... headache weather :cautious:

Snow at the end of March ... wow ... it must feel even colder than in winter, because it is supposed to be early spring

It's Bukvitsa (initial) - a large, different first letter of a chapter, section, or whole book.

The art of book design began to develop actively in early Christian times, when texts appeared. Texts were considered divine, and therefore required special treatment. At the same time, the bookplate appeared as an obligatory part of book decoration.

Primers were lavishly decorated with colored plant ornaments and images of people or animals intertwined with geometric patterns. The symbolic language of ancient alphabets is very complex and in many ways has not yet been deciphered.

Bukvitsa is a border point where everyday life is interrupted and another world emerges - the one the text tells us about. It is the point where the mystery of nature (plant ornament), the mystery of human feelings and passions (they are depicted by animals and people) and the mystery of the word (the mystery of the transformation of man and the world under the influence of the word) intersect.

In pre-press times, special artists were engaged in the design of letters, so in ancient books all the letters are unique.

But then the Bukvitsa began to disappear, as everything in the world is on the path of simplification and minimalism. But still in some books, you can still find alphabets and it's beautiful!

I love it! If I were born during these times, I would have been a nun in a cloister writing hall, copying and decorating books! :D:LOL::love:

omg! Fabulous post. Thank you so much. :love:

This has really got my imagination going. 😲

It's so disheartening. This is why I'm not keen on computer generated art. There is never any depth. Not that I can see, anyway.

I love it! If I were born during these times, I would have been a nun in a cloister writing hall, copying and decorating books! :D:LOL::love:
Ooh, rather you than me. We talked about the self-mortification thing. I'll pass, thanks! :D

But I know what you mean, of course. Even just to look after a collection of books of hours or the mediaeval primers or whatever. I doubt I would have had the talent to even copy these things but to be able to cherish them and look after them, that would be nice.

I once bought a page of a incunabulum (early printed book) at an antique art fair. It is a page from a bible. I try to photograph it:

20240330_201008.jpg

Still looks somewhat like a handwritten text, and the color and large letters was added by hand :)

omg! Fabulous post. Thank you so much. :love:

This has really got my imagination going. 😲

It's so disheartening. This is why I'm not keen on computer generated art. There is never any depth. Not that I can see, anyway.
ABOUT! This is an exciting reaction! I agree, I cannot comprehend the “soul” of digital creations... They seem to lose out to material things. Although digital art can also be exciting, cinema, for example)))

I once bought a page of a incunabulum (early printed book) at an antique art fair. It is a page from a bible. I try to photograph it:

View attachment 3503

Still looks somewhat like a handwritten text, and the color and large letters was added by hand :)
Initially, this was the sort of thing I was going to post but then I saw that page of Russian text and I was sold. There was no caption so I wasn't even sure if it was from a religious text or what but, visually, it was so lovely I had to post it.

This page is very beautiful and it's always exciting when I can recognise the odd word here or there.

Back