The main and the only problem of This Is It tour was lack of "Invincible" content?

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
In my humble opinion, the main problem of This Is It tour was lack of "Invincible" content... I know, that MJ's last tour planned to have only his greatest hits, most popular songs, but there is one inconsistency. On TII tour announcement Michael stated, that he was going to perform songs, his fans wanted to hear! I know, that Invincible album wasn't that popular, especially if you compare it with his other albums. But! There is also a lot of fans of Invincible album, including me, that would like to hear something "Invincible"! So, i think Michael, shall have add 3 songs from Invincible album to TII track-list. Unbreakable, YRMW and Whatever Happens! I know, in that case it would be harded for MJ to perform, because track-list would be bigger, but that's fair enough. At least YRMW definately should have been included! It already had it's own dance style (thanks to 30th annyversary). I know, that there planned to be a little snippet of "Threatened" in Thriller performance, but, damn, that's pathetic:cautious: few seconds from whole album. That's not fair
R.5c1fb2a23b457deb6545c3a8cd9db6b2.jpg

Last edited:
wasnt there a thing with This Is It that fans could vote online for what songs they wanted to hear on that tour? idk maybe im just making it up but if im not then thats kinda the fans' fault lmao, id love to hear some of em Invincible songs This is It-ified tho

MJ always played it safe when it came to concert tracklists and would mostly only perform his well-known hit songs. Even if it wasn't for the fan voting I don't think he'd include a full song from Invincible since a lot of the songs on the album aren't as known as his main songs. Maybe YRMW would have a chance to be performed if anything, since it's the only song from Invincible to have gone mainstream.

Last edited:
Yes, fans could vote. I am not sure where you'd place random Invincible songs in the setlist or whether it was even appropriate to do so. I mean, what classic hits would you replace for them?

I think Whatever Happens could genuinely have been interesting performed live. It's very different to anything else he did. Sets the mood for a bit of a low key acoustic arrangement, perhaps sat there jiving with Carlos Santana (or a competent stand in). There may have been a place for that in an otherwise frenetic show.

Other than that there was some interludes with Threatened and Speechless already in the show and that was probably the best way to incorporate the album.

I see what you mean. Like how Madonna didn't tour Ray Of Light but then the next tour, Drowned World Tour setlist was comprised heavily of ROL tracks and Music, the subsequent album.

Yes, fans could vote. I am not sure where you'd place random Invincible songs in the setlist or whether it was even appropriate to do so. I mean, what classic hits would you replace for them?

I think Whatever Happens could genuinely have been interesting performed live. It's very different to anything else he did. Sets the mood for a bit of a low key acoustic arrangement, perhaps sat there jiving with Carlos Santana (or a competent stand in). There may have been a place for that in an otherwise frenetic show.

Other than that there was some interludes with Threatened and Speechless already in the show and that was probably the best way to incorporate the album.
Not to replace, but add in track-list!
As far as I know, Speechless never planned as a part of TII, MJ just sang a snippet, like he always did on rehearsals. He also sang snippet of Water song

MJ always played it safe when it came to concert tracklists and would mostly only perform his well-known hit songs. Even if it wasn't for the fan voting I don't think he'd include a full song from Invincible since a lot of the songs on the album aren't as known as his main songs. Maybe YRMW would have a chance to be performed if anything, since it's the only song from Invincible to have gone mainstream.
If I would choose the song to replace with YRMW, it would definately be TWYMMF. I know this song is very important for MJ, he dedicated it for his mother. But I don't like it. For me this is the weakest song on TII tour track-list

I think the set list for This Is It was filled with problems, none of which were the lack of Invincible songs. It was an incredibly predictable, cut and dry selection that completely betrayed the idea of “performing the songs [his] fans wanna hear,” as he claimed at the press event. It was a technological marvel, with the only good band and dancers he’s ever had on stage with him, but the actual song selection (in my opinion) was terrible.

I always thought some nights he'd exchange YRMW with TWYMMF. And some nights Human Nature with Stranger in Moscow. I guess that was just ran conjecture though.
That's a great idea! These songs have something in common, but YRMW is much better

I think the set list for This Is It was filled with problems, none of which were the lack of Invincible songs. It was an incredibly predictable, cut and dry selection that completely betrayed the idea of “performing the songs [his] fans wanna hear,” as he claimed at the press event. It was a technological marvel, with the only good band and dancers he’s ever had on stage with him, but the actual song selection (in my opinion) was terrible.
You are damn wrong, my friend. Set list actually is pretty good:
WBSS
Don’t stop ‘till you get enough
Rock with you
TDCAU
Human nature
Stranger in Moscow/YANA
Smooth criminal
The way you make me feel
I just can’t stop loving you
Dangerous
Dirty Diana
Beat it
Thriller
Earth song
Heal the world
Black or white
Billie Jean
Man in the mirror

But as I stated before, it needed to have something from Invincible! So, in my opinion, this set list would be perfect:

WBSS
Rock with you
TDCAU
Human nature
Stranger in Moscow/YANA
Unbreakable
Smooth criminal
The way you make me feel/ YRMW
Dangerous
Dirty Diana
Beat it
Thriller
Earth song
Heal the world
Black or white
Whatever Happens
Billie Jean
Man in the mirror

Reactions: MJ5
I don’t think MJ has ever really been a great tour performer. The setlists are always the same. Guess that’s the problem with being a legacy act, but on his tours for his albums, he barely performed new songs. So the setlist for This Is It is actually decent except we’ve basically seen it 2/3 times already.

I don’t think MJ has ever really been a great tour performer. The setlists are always the same. Guess that’s the problem with being a legacy act, but on his tours for his albums, he barely performed new songs. So the setlist for This Is It is actually decent except we’ve basically seen it 2/3 times already.
Are you joking? Performing literally was his life purpose! He was born on stage and performed from 5 years old. In my opinion performing was the best thing he could do! Maybe even better then creating music

Are you joking? Performing literally was his life purpose! He was born on stage and performed from 5 years old. In my opinion performing was the best thing he could do! Maybe even better then creating music
That’s all well and good, but change it up a bit. Who wants a Jackson 5 medley from MJ? Retire it!

Michael’s tours were too rehearsed to have random songs included. If he really wanted to tour with songs the fans could have picked all he had to do was compile a band and get on stage without costume changes, sets, background dancers, pyrotechnics and tanks lol

Michael with a bass guitar, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, piano, drums, percussion, horn section, synth, a small choir of background singers and violins and we’d have had a masterpiece of a show.

You would see the critics go crazy as well but he wanted it big and bombastic so nothing we can do about it, it is his art, his show 🙂

Michaels setlist usually contained hits and he rarely switched it up.....I couldn't picture him tossing in a b-side or 2 during a show but it would've been nice to every once in a while

Why would you want to put Invincible songs on a setlist that was all about his legendary catalogue.

These concerts were an attempt to change opinion about MJ and to bring him back into the spotlight musically.

It was about his image following the previous awful several years, he needed to do the hits and nothing else.

I do think that throughout the 50 shows there may have been a few surprises to change it up a little but overall it's about damage control.

You are damn wrong, my friend. Set list actually is pretty good:
WBSS
Rock with you
TDCAU
Human nature
Stranger in Moscow/YANA
Smooth criminal
The way you make me feel
Dangerous
Dirty Diana
Beat it
Thriller
Earth song
Heal the world
Black or white
Billie Jean
Man in the mirror

But as I stated before, it needed to have something from Invincible! So, in my opinion, this set list would be perfect:

WBSS
Rock with you
TDCAU
Human nature
Stranger in Moscow/YANA
Unbreakable
Smooth criminal
The way you make me feel/ YRMW
Dangerous
Dirty Diana
Beat it
Thriller
Earth song
Heal the world
Black or white
Whatever Happens
Billie Jean
Man in the mirror
I think it’s immeasurably disappointing. J5? IJCSLY? HTW? Nothing new or creative or interesting for his FINAL shows?

I would have absolutely loved to see more 'Invincible-Live' but I understand the decision to only have snippets in the This Is It Tour...
The setlist was incredibly long especially for a man in his 50s to perform.... and what songs would you cut in order to add more Invincible content? You can't cut anything from 'Thriller' or 'BAD' and there wasn't even much of 'Off The Wall' either if I remember correctly-
The J5 Medley couldn't have been cut, neither could I have given up on Jam or TDCAU!
I'd love to see Speechless or Break of Dawn live tho and I am absolutely IN LOVE with the style Michael went for on YRMW...

I think it’s immeasurably disappointing. J5? IJCSLY? HTW? Nothing new or creative or interesting for his FINAL shows?
You are damn right, my friend. That's why Invincible songs would be the BEST addition to the TII track list)

That’s all well and good, but change it up a bit. Who wants a Jackson 5 medley from MJ? Retire it!
"Light Man"
"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
"Jam"
"The Drill"
"They Don't Care About Us"
"Human Nature" ("Stranger In Moscow")
"Smooth Criminal"
"The Way You Make Me Feel" ("You Rock My World")
The Jackson 5 Medley: "I Want You Back" / "The Love You Save" / "I'll Be There" "Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)"
Instrumental Interlude Off the Wall Medley: "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" / "Rock with You”
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You"
"Dangerous"
"Black Or White"
"Dirty Diana"
"Beat It"
“Bad“
"Thriller"
("Threatened")
"Earth Song"
"We Are The World" / "Heal the World"
"You Are Not Alone"
"Billie Jean"
"Will You Be There"
"Man In The Mirror"

Now it's perfect)

Unbreakable would've been a sick opener, I don't care who you are.

But the tracklist was basically all Thriller singles, the big Bad and Dangerous tunes, and a couple HIStory songs.

What the show really needed, was guest stars. Let Janet show up and sing Scream. Get Paul to do Say Say Say (Or The Girl Is Mine, lol). Stevie shows up for GET IT (Just Good Friends, don't even kid yourself lol)

If Santana appears, then by all means, we're doing whatever happens. Slash hops up, let's do a big rockers melody. Like, there's where you unlock that lateral potential. Just the AEG crew would've been, boring, no offense.

Why would you want to put Invincible songs on a setlist that was all about his legendary catalogue.

These concerts were an attempt to change opinion about MJ and to bring him back into the spotlight musically.

It was about his image following the previous awful several years, he needed to do the hits and nothing else.

I do think that throughout the 50 shows there may have been a few surprises to change it up a little but overall it's about damage control.
Because that would be right choice! Invincible is the part of MJ discography too! Moreover! It's his final album and this is one of his best work!

Can we just talk about how sick this move is?

The video is ancient so ignore the quality. But new songs means new choreography, also.

Unbreakable would've been a sick opener, I don't care who you are.

But the tracklist was basically all Thriller singles, the big Bad and Dangerous tunes, and a couple HIStory songs.

What the show really needed, was guest stars. Let Janet show up and sing Scream. Get Paul to do Say Say Say (Or The Girl Is Mine, lol). Stevie shows up for GET IT (Just Good Friends, don't even kid yourself lol)

If Santana appears, then by all means, we're doing whatever happens. Slash hops up, let's do a big rockers melody. Like, there's where you unlock that lateral potential. Just the AEG crew would've been, boring, no offense.
You are damn right, my friend. That's why Unkbreakable should been pasted somewhere in the middle. Before SC or after)

Back