The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Here we are again, Mr JT. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Respectfully, of course!

Yes, it was the start of Stevie's 'slightly lesser' '80's period. But that is a separate thing, imo, from the album itself. Just for Master Blaster alone, Songs/Key/Life was huge. Like you said, the whole album was huge. Politically SO important. For the UK, at that moment, I still say Stevie was bigger and way more important that Michael. Stevie never had the pandemonium that Michael had but there are many ways to measure a person's influence and importance. He had been our voice all through the '70's - arguably more important than Marvin although that's a closer competition than Stevie / Michael.

Master Blaster only managed No.2 in the UK charts but, then again, it only made it to No.5 in the Billboard Hot 100. I'm not forgetting that it was at No.1 on the R&B chart for 7 weeks.

7 weeks!! 😲 🥳 🤸‍♀️

I'm standing up for my man!

Sales wise it couldn't compete with OTW. That's as far as I can go on this point.

Yep, great footage, love it. But I'm standing by my man! Fan hysteria isn't everything. Not for me, anyway.

1980? Stevie all the way.

"They couldn't touch us even if they tried"

(oh god, now I've made myself cry)
Hey, no disrespect to Stevie. I consider him absolutely the equal of Michael. It's just about the hysteria and the cheering clapping. I've seen Motown 25. Stevie got praise and applause, accolades the whole time. But those Jackson's were like the people's choice the whole way through. Truly the Black Beatles at that point.

Hey, no disrespect to Stevie
oh, I didn't think you were disrespecting Stevie. No way!

. I consider him absolutely the equal of Michael.
Hm, see this is where we definitely differ. I see Stevie as being above Michael. That's in MY universe, you understand. And I'm not saying that Michael isn't the sun, the moon and the stars to me. But Stevie is ... I don't even know what to say.

Actually, I literally don't know what to say. Am I saying that Stevie is more talented than Michael? I have no idea. I need to think about this.

It's just about the hysteria and the cheering clapping.
Oh, that's Michael, no question. As a superstar, as a global phenomenon, as someone with an insane level of fame, as someone who reached heights of fame, success and artistic achievement that no-one could have predicted or even imagined - that's all Michael.

I've seen Motown 25. Stevie got praise and applause, accolades the whole time. But those Jackson's were like the people's choice the whole way through. Truly the Black Beatles at that point.
I don't know what to say about this. Once Michael did his M25 solo routine I didn't even care about the rest. Not even my Stevie! Michael danced like he had never danced before. And I'm not talking about the moonwalk. I'm not even bothered about that. It was the whole routine. Mind blowing.

But Stevie in 1980? He was The Man. At least, he is if I'm writing the story, lol.

Yes, because ‘The Jacksons’ would be an incorrect answer. Remember that he released his solo debut in 1972.
Thank you. You are as attentive and accurate as ever. But this is not a fan issue. I asked a few non-fans a question for the sake of verification. And they knew exactly what I meant. The paradox of 1979 and 1980 did not confuse anyone. And out of the 10 respondents, none of them did not know any of the names. Half knew he sang somewhere and that was it. Best answer: "in some family band."

Hm, see this is where we definitely differ. I see Stevie as being above Michael.
In the 60s and 70s absolutely, he was. There were several significant greats before MJ. (Very few after.) And for the first half of the 80s Stevie still had it. But, it was in the 90s that I didn't see Stevie doing quite such a great work as before. Meanwhile MJ starting with Bad and continuing through on to the 90s, he was just top tier. And then the student, became the master. A song like Get It was MJ inheriting the torch, the same way as Say Say Say and the like with Paul.

I still enjoy everything Stevie did but his prime was different to MJ's prime. But overall the trio of music, MJ, Prince and Stevie is what I consider.

In the 60s and 70s absolutely, he was.
Tbf, @Nite Line 's original question was about whether Stevie was bigger than Michael in 1980. I say yes, other peeps say no. But things did change for Stevie as the 1980's progressed, for sure.

There were several significant greats before MJ. (Very few after.) And for the first half of the 80s Stevie still had it. But, it was in the 90s that I didn't see Stevie doing quite such a great work as before.
I think it's fair to say most musicians have a peak period of creativity - often from their late teens to the late 20's or early 30's. After that the hits usually dry up. Sometimes the creativity goes, sometimes they retain it but it's never burning hot like it was when they were younger. So for Stevie, since he started in the early 60's, it's to be expected that the 90's would see him being a lesser force.

Meanwhile MJ starting with Bad and continuing through on to the 90s, he was just top tier. And then the student, became the master
Yeah, that's how it usually goes. There's something lovely about the Stevie / Michael thing. I dunno, maybe bc we have those photos of Michael in the studio watching Stevie create a record. Maybe bc we have J5 backing vocals on You Haven't Done Nothin. Lovely quotes from Michael about how much he loves and admires Stevie. There's just something so cool, so lovely about it.

I still enjoy everything Stevie did but his prime was different to MJ's prime.
oh, for sure but for me Stevie's prime is better bc it's more meaningful for me. It just always will be.

But overall the trio of music, MJ, Prince and Stevie is what I consider.
My trio is Jimi, Stevie and Michael. In that order. You got me thinking about all of this today, lol. I listen to Michael way more than Jimi or Stevie but they are the masters so they are in prime position. I'll be thinking about this for a while yet!

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover slightly surprised by Phil Collins’ 8 songs on that list, he is always overlooked when it comes to 80s iconic musicians. But this stat shows he is right up there.
Agreed. I could not have predicted that. I might have expected him to have 4 or 5 songs on the list but not 8. He's too MOR for me but, y'know, gotta acknowledge an impressive result.

Michael with 13 songs. That is very pleasing.

Last edited:
Agreed. I could not have predicted that. I might have expected him to have 4 or 5 songs on the list but not 8. He's too MOR for me but, y'know, gotta acknowledge an impressive result.

Michael with 13 songs. That is very pleasing.
He’s where I would’ve thought him to be . He was huge (“huuuge”!) in the 80’s.

He’s where I would’ve thought him to be . He was huge (“huuuge”!) in the 80’s.
oh, I know. Unfortunately I was there so I know. He's way too MOR for me. I didn't even like him as the lead singer for Genesis. He did a good enough job, don't get me wrong, just too boring for me although I had long gone off Genesis by then, anyway.

Wiki tells me this:
"He is one of only three recording artists, along with Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson, who have sold over 100 million records both as solo artists and separately as principal members of a band."

Fgs, why am I talking about Phil Collins! :eek:

Let me go and find some data for the thread, lol.

Last edited:
mj-spotify mid-year
albums :

Thriller :375,600,126- 3,696,001,228
bad :206,110,775- 2,241,249,928
off the wall :111,235,445- 1,080,616,770
dangerous :87,215,990- 933,294,587
history :72,490,128- 713,764,104
invincible :44,407,005- 292,754,903

mj-spotify mid-year
top-10 songs

billie jean :148,303,886