The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Fantastic work @travis3000.

Looking at the numbers, They Don't Care About Us (Brazil) currently stands at 893m, Thriller at 822m and Beat It at 802m. One of these will Michael's next video to hit 1 billion views. The question is which one will get there first? I say Beat It, because even though it is behind both They Don't Care About Us and Thriller in overall views, it accumulated way more views in the last year than the other two.

Will certainly be interesting... since LN premiered TDCAU has been viewed more than Beat It, but if you just use the last 12 months I believe Beat It is ahead. Could be a close call. But it does seem certain that in the next 12-24 months MJ will have 3 more videos joining the 1 billion club.

Michael's 5 most popular non singles on Spotify

working day and night 39m+
Dangerous 37m+
the lady in my life 37m+
baby be mine 36m+
I can't help it 31m+

Not sure what point I'm trying to make with this post but it was an interesting tidbit for me. 4 of them come from his 2 highest acclaimed albums and Dangerous was a big live staple (just like working day and night). So live performances can definitely make a song more popular, sadly Michael rarely performed non singles in concerts.

Most of the other non singles score well below 10m, actually these 5 perform better or on par with many of his later era (90s) singles like will you be there or stranger in Moscow

Michael Jackson's Number Ones has sold 2,984,400 copies in the UK. It needs to sell another 15,600 copies to reach 3m total sales and be certified 10X platinum in the UK. Given that it sells 2,500 copies a week on average, it will probably reach that milestone in the next 6-7 weeks.

Number Ones is Michael's third most successful album in the UK after Thriller and Bad. In the next 10 years, it will probably become his most successful album here in the UK.

Michael Jackson's Number Ones has sold 2,984,400 copies in the UK. It needs to sell another 15,600 copies to reach 3m total sales and be certified 10X platinum in the UK. Given that it sells 2,500 copies a week on average, it will probably reach that milestone in the next 6-7 weeks.

Number Ones is Michael's third most successful album in the UK after Thriller and Bad. In the next 10 years, it will probably become his most successful album here in the UK.
Usually I'm not bothered about sales figures and that type of stuff but this has got me so stoked. Maybe cos it's UK stats. Between 2009 and last year I bought 6 copies of the CD (don't ask :ROFLMAO: ) so I won't be able to help with this but I would absolutely love it to get a 10x platinum UK certification. I didn't buy Michael's albums until after he died and the 2 that were on heavy rotation were Invincible and Number Ones.

This is so cool.

Apparently it is popular on TikTok right now? Saw some people on Twitter saying it’s in the top 50 on the Apple Music charts, so I signed up for a free trial just to verify haha

Noticed this also…

Pretty amazing considering everyone else on the chart surrounding him are contemporary artists. I went to YouTube to see what people were saying in the comments on Heaven Can Wait and there are a lot of new fans, but also a lot of people who seem angry or offended that the song is popular on TikTok. Which honestly I don’t get because isn’t it just a great thing that Michael’s music is still so beloved and he’s finding new fans all the time?

Top 200 Pop Albums on Apple Music:
#26 - Invincible
#43 - Thriller
#53 - Off the Wall
#79 - The Essential Michael Jackson
#123 - Bad

Top 200 Pop Songs on Apple Music
#45 - Heaven Can Wait
#66 - Billie Jean
#176 - P.Y.T
#193 - Beat It
#200 - Rock with you

That's interesting, Invisible is above Thriller! That just shows Album sale numbers of Invincible don't indicate its real popularity. Music is consumed differently today.

Why caused Heaven Can Wait explosion?!! :unsure:

That's interesting, Invisible is above Thriller! That just shows Album sale numbers of Invincible don't indicate its real popularity. Music is consumed differently today.

Why caused Heaven Can Wait explosion?!! :unsure:
This is what I want to know. @staywild23 reported that HCW was trending on TikTok so started trending on Spotify. Which raises the question - why was it trending on TikTok? Great that it happened but it's kind of intriguing.

I think someone made a Speed Up version of the song and it was re-posted quite often, as the youth likes that type of music.

example

I think someone made a Speed Up version of the song and it was re-posted quite often, as the youth likes that type of music.

example
ew :eek: I am clearly not "youth" anymore as I could not listen to more than 1 min of it. But hey, if it makes the original popular, I won't complain. Its a great song.

If that is all it takes to make a song popular we should post sped up versions of all MJ songs right now.
Another part of me should sound perfect if that is what young people wanna hear lol

This is what I want to know. @staywild23 reported that HCW was trending on TikTok so started trending on Spotify. Which raises the question - why was it trending on TikTok? Great that it happened but it's kind of intriguing.
Someone started a trend on TikTok and people started making videos dancing to Heaven Can Wait. No one knows why this trend started on TikTok.

#34 Invincible
#41 Thriller
#52 Off the Wall
#76 Essential Michael Jackson
#126 Bad
#187 Dangerous

So happy to see Dangerous on there!

To note, every other artist/album on the list (aside from Abba, whose Greatest Hits album is at #62) is a contemporary artist, still around and making music. Think about how amazing that is? He has 5 studio albums on the chart AND a compilation.

I just think that’s amazing. It makes me really happy 😊

#34 Invincible
#41 Thriller
#52 Off the Wall
#76 Essential Michael Jackson
#126 Bad
#187 Dangerous

So happy to see Dangerous on there!

To note, every other artist/album on the list (aside from Abba, whose Greatest Hits album is at #62) is a contemporary artist, still around and making music. Think about how amazing that is? He has 5 studio albums on the chart AND a compilation.

I just think that’s amazing. It makes me really happy 😊
Really happy to see invincible up there. It's a great album, but it has the fan community divided so much! That's 5 out of his 6 solo albums! Only HIStory is missing. There is no better proof that Michael is timeless!

Really happy to see invincible up there. It's a great album, but it has the fan community divided so much! That's 5 out of his 6 solo albums! Only HIStory is missing. There is no better proof that Michael is timeless!
RIGHT? And HIStory absolutely deserves to be on there. Not only is it my current obsession, but it is also a BOMB album.

I am really only now starting to get into Invincible, because as I've mentioned several times on this forum haha I am still easing my way through all of his discography. I'm in no rush to get through it all. But so far I really love what I've heard from Invincible. The vocals alone are 🤯

Back