The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

What actually is the apple music chart? How does it work? Why is called apple?
It’s just the Apple Music app. Lots of iPhone users have it. I did a free trial just so I could follow Michael on the charts there. I know, I’m a freak lol. Anyway, it’s just an alternative to Spotify and other streaming apps 😊

Ok, I guess it is a lot smaller than spotify then. I haven’t really noticed an impact on spotify

Ok, I guess it is a lot smaller than spotify then. I haven’t really noticed an impact on spotify
Well from what I can tell, Spotify doesn’t have genre charts. So on Apple I’m looking at the Pop charts, specifically. I did see on Spotify that it was charting on the viral songs, which was cool. I think I may have posted about that somewhere above.

Heaven Can Wait seems to be getting a lot of views lately on youtube too.There is a site that I follow named Kworb it Gives you The daily and monthly views of the videos.For Heaven Can Wait since it got first uploaded the most views in one day is 8th Of May 61065 views in a day.And for monthly it always have been around 90k views a month but in April it got 197000 views and as for May Which We Are only in the middle of it got 640000 views!You can check the site here:https://kworb.net/youtube/video/TDVlDUAIz5k.html
And for Michael's other Songs:https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/michaeljackson.html

Last edited:
Some big news in time for Thriller 40 that has made me really happy.

The following Michael songs just received updated certifications in the US.

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - 5X Platinum. Last certified for 3X Platinum in August 2018.
Rock With You - 5X Platinum. Last certified 2X Platinum in August 2018.
Black Or White - 3X Platinum. Last certified 2X Platinum in August 2018.
Remember The Time - 3X Platinum. Last certified Platinum in August 2018.
She's Out Of My Life - Platinum. Last certified Gold in February 1989.

For those who don't know, Platinum is USA is 1 Million, so 2X Platinum is 2 Million. Gold is 0.5 million.

Remember that in the US, for an artist to receive certifications, their record label has to pay money to RIAA (official company in USA for music certifications). Good to see Sony spend some money on updating Michael's songs. I believe that a lot of Michael's songs are massively undercertified.

None of these songs are from Thriller. I suspect the big three from Thriller (Billie Jean, Beat It & Thriller) may also be recertified as we get closer to the release date of Thriller 40.

Billie Jean and Thriller must be diamond
At the moment, Billie Jean is 5X Platinum and Thriller is 6X Platinum. But if Rock With You & Don't Stop Til You Get Enough are now 5X Platinum, then, yes, Billie Jean and Thriller should be diamond or close to it.

Number Ones is 10X Platinum in the UK for surpassing units sold of 3 million. Michael becomes the only artist to have 3 or more albums to have sold more than 3 million copies in the UK.

Michael's highest albums certification in the UK:

Thriller - 15X Platinum. Last certified in November 2021.
Bad - 14X Platinum. Last certified in November 2021.
Number Ones - 10X Platinum.
Dangerous - 6X Platinum. Last certified way back in October 1993, so should probably be 7X Platinum.
History - 4X Platinum. Last certified way back in February 1996, so should probably be 5X Platinum.
The Essential - 4X Platinum. Last certified in April 2018.

Number Ones is 10X Platinum in the UK for surpassing units sold of 3 million. Michael becomes the only artist to have 3 or more albums to have sold more than 3 million copies in the UK.

Dangerous - 6X Platinum. Last certified way back in October 1993, so should probably be 7X Platinum.
History - 4X Platinum. Last certified way back in February 1996, so should probably be 5X Platinum.
This is wonderful!

Does anyone know how albums get certified? It seems crazy to me that both Dangerous and HIStory haven't been recertified since, essentially, their release. I assume this is something the estate has to do? It makes me wonder if/when they do anniversary editions for either album they will take that time to do it to help promote the albums.

This is wonderful!

Does anyone know how albums get certified? It seems crazy to me that both Dangerous and HIStory haven't been recertified since, essentially, their release. I assume this is something the estate has to do? It makes me wonder if/when they do anniversary editions for either album they will take that time to do it to help promote the albums.
As far as I know in the UK, albums and songs released post 1994 are automatically certified when they reach the threshold. But for "older" albums like Dangerous, the record labels probably have to ask for the updated certification.

As far as I know in the UK, albums and songs released post 1994 are automatically certified when they reach the threshold. But for "older" albums like Dangerous, the record labels probably have to ask for the updated certification.
oh interesting! it does feel like something that just be automatically done. But I guess that would be a pretty overwhelming ask with all the albums out there, so I suppose it makes sense that the estate/record label would have to pursue that.

I hope they do! It's also crazy how even Michael's "less successful" albums still did amazing compared to other people.

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!

Go UK!!! 😂

Michael Jackson's Number Ones has sold 2,984,400 copies in the UK. It needs to sell another 15,600 copies to reach 3m total sales and be certified 10X platinum in the UK. Given that it sells 2,500 copies a week on average, it will probably reach that milestone in the next 6-7 weeks.
Spot on, Nite Line. It's just over 6 weeks since you posted this. Wow.

I need cake!

The likes of dangerous probably haven’t sold a million copies since 1994, it didn’t even sell good for a long period after Michael died

Heaven can wait is the 10th most streamed MJ track this week on Spotify, so it seems the track is still popular. From what I know it is the first time it hit the top 10 here.

1. Billie Jean
2. Beat it
3. Smooth Criminal
4. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
5. Rock With You
6. The Way You Make Me Feel
7. Bad
8. They Don't Care About Us
9. PYT
10. Heaven Can Wait

Has Off The Wall been certified platinum in the UK?

This week on Spotify. Heaven can wait rises 3 spots to nr 7 in MJ's top 10 most streamed tracks. On my last update it was streamed 13 million times now it stands at 14 million 500 thousand streams. It looks like the rate of streams is still slightly accelerating. It seems to gain 1 million plus streams a week now.

1. Billie Jean
2. Beat it
3. Smooth Criminal
4. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
5. Rock With You
6. The Way You Make Me Feel
7. Heaven can wait
8. Bad
9. PYT
10. They Don't Care About Us

So not a lot of changes, bad drops a spot to 8 and TDCAU drops from 8 to 10 while HCW rises from 10 to 7.
Overall MJ is at nr 79 most streamed artist on Spotify this week with 29 million 300 thousand streams this week. Which is his highest position in months.

As part of the Jackson(s)5 these are the top 10 most popular songs on Spotify. With his band he has about 10 million streams a month. The following 12 songs swallow the majority of streams, the rest of the back catalogue hardly gets a look in.

1. I want you back
2. ABC
3. Blame it on the boogie
4. I'll be there
5. Who's loving you
6. can you feel it
7. shake your body
8. Heartbreak hotel
9. never can say goodbye
10. the love you save
11. dancing machine
12. torture

Did some more Spotify research

MJ is the 69th most streamed artist in the history of Spotify closing in on 10 billion streams. Apparently there are 329 MJ tracks available on Spotify.
He has 1 song of over a billion streams, 21 songs of over 100 million streams, 91 songs of over 10 million streams and 233 songs of over 1 million streams.

Queen, The Beatles, Linkin Park, Eminem and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are all above MJ in the ranking. I named these as they were also recording when MJ was still recording. The rest of the 100 is made up of artists post Invincible. It goes to show how fast and brutal the musical landscape changes. You’d be very lucky if you stay relevant for even a few years…

Michael’s top streaming albums top 6 is:

nr 1 thriller 25 with almost 2 million streams per day. Nr 137 in the overall chart of most streamed albums
nr 2 bad 25 with just over 1 million streams a day. Nr 340 overall chart
nr 3 off the wall just over 500 000 streams a day. Nr 989 overall chart
nr 4 dangerous with over 400 000 streams a day. Nr 1146 overall chart
nr 5 Diana Ross presents the J5 over 300 000 streams a day. Nr 1180 overall chart
nr 6 xscape with over 200 000 streams a day. Nr 1487 overall chart

Furthermore MJ is the nr 43 most followed artist on spotify with 23 million plus followers. Queen is at nr 13 ( biopic impact), beatles at nr 44. Michael has adaily gain of 11000 + followers, this rate puts him at nr 37 for fastest growing artists on Spotify. Queen is at nr 22 in this chart with 19000 new fans a day.
Interesting note Elvis Presley is at nr 86 with about 4000 gains a day. Is this an early biopic effect?

All of these numbers will be hugely interesting to follow in the coming years starting with thriller 40. At least I find it interesting 😂

Did some more Spotify research

MJ is the 69th most streamed artist in the history of Spotify closing in on 10 billion streams. Apparently there are 329 MJ tracks available on Spotify.
He has 1 song of over a billion streams, 21 songs of over 100 million streams, 91 songs of over 10 million streams and 233 songs of over 1 million streams.

Queen, The Beatles, Linkin Park, Eminem and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are all above MJ in the ranking. I named these as they were also recording when MJ was still recording. The rest of the 100 is made up of artists post Invincible. It goes to show how fast and brutal the musical landscape changes. You’d be very lucky if you stay relevant for even a few years…

Michael’s top streaming albums top 6 is:

nr 1 thriller 25 with almost 2 million streams per day. Nr 137 in the overall chart of most streamed albums
nr 2 bad 25 with just over 1 million streams a day. Nr 340 overall chart
nr 3 off the wall just over 500 000 streams a day. Nr 989 overall chart
nr 4 dangerous with over 400 000 streams a day. Nr 1146 overall chart
nr 5 Diana Ross presents the J5 over 300 000 streams a day. Nr 1180 overall chart
nr 6 xscape with over 200 000 streams a day. Nr 1487 overall chart

Furthermore MJ is the nr 43 most followed artist on spotify with 23 million plus followers. Queen is at nr 13 ( biopic impact), beatles at nr 44. Michael has adaily gain of 11000 + followers, this rate puts him at nr 37 for fastest growing artists on Spotify. Queen is at nr 22 in this chart with 19000 new fans a day.
Interesting note Elvis Presley is at nr 86 with about 4000 gains a day. Is this an early biopic effect?

All of these numbers will be hugely interesting to follow in the coming years starting with thriller 40. At least I find it interesting 😂

I love all this data! I too find all of this stuff really interesting. One point I think should be noted though when comparing Michael to the other artists in the top streaming is that both Eminem and Red Hot Chili Peppers are still actively making music and present. Linkin Park actively made music and toured until 2017 (though I'm still surprised at their popularity...nothing against them, I just didn't realize they were big beyond my high school years).

So the only real comparable artists are The Beatles and Queen. Queen had the biopic come out, which certainly made an impact, though they always had a huge following of course. And The Beatles are The Beatles lol. When you consider all of this, it's pretty remarkable that Michael is so far up there still. Actually, even more so when you consider that his legacy has been trampled on endlessly for years. Imagine how high it would be if it weren't for all the bullshit??

Either way, just wanted to add those thoughts. I love all the data and appreciate you sharing :)

@staywild23

There is a lot to analyze behind the numbers, I’m still trying to wrap my head around it all. Not all numbers are actually relevant. Some completely unknown artists rack up huge numbers because one of their songs shows up in hugely popular playlists, while these artists have barely a few 1000 followers.
I basically am not sure if the MJ statistics are impressive or not.

What I do lnow is that he is miles behind Queen and The Beatles. Queen has 4 song that have a billion + streamed tracks, the beatles have surpassed MJ’s total streams in only a few years time (they came on Spotify way later).
Another artist I forgot to highlight is Elton John who is in the weekly charts at nr 24 as most popular artist. He is currently the best scoring “old“ artist. I have no idea where this success comes from? Is he featured on a track with a hot current artist or so?

The website I take this from is bursting with info and stats, analyzing it all is pretty tough, the site is also a bitch to navigate. What is clear though is that Thriller is here to stay but really lots of MJs streaming succes comes from that album so it might put overall numbers in perspective.

@staywild23

There is a lot to analyze behind the numbers, I’m still trying to wrap my head around it all. Not all numbers are actually relevant. Some completely unknown artists rack up huge numbers because one of their songs shows up in hugely popular playlists, while these artists have barely a few 1000 followers.
I basically am not sure if the MJ statistics are impressive or not.
I think this is a really important point. This year I watched the Billboards solely for the Maxwell tribute to MJ and what was interesting is they added a category of awards for artists whose songs charted because they blew up on TikTok. Largely unsigned artists. When I look at top streaming, especially, it's very obvious that popularity comes and goes and most of the people on there won't be relevant in a couple months or years. To put it in perspective, I love to check out the Billboard Hot 100 artists (MJ has been in there every time I have looked this year, which is typically weekly). But Beyonce has barely ever been on it, if at all. Why? She hasn't released anything in awhile. However, she's due to release something next month, so I fully expect her streaming to explode.

I guess my point in saying that MJ is impressive is that he is gone and nothing has been released in YEARS and yet he is still consistently charting and showing up streaming a ton, while contemporary powerhouses fall off the charts when they don't regularly release stuff. I think that's impressive!

Another artist I forgot to highlight is Elton John who is in the weekly charts at nr 24 as most popular artist. He is currently the best scoring “old“ artist. I have no idea where this success comes from? Is he featured on a track with a hot current artist or so?
He also had a biopic come out a couple years ago! It was successful and nominated for some awards (may have won some, I have no idea). I got really into Elton John in middle/high school because of "Elton John" night on American Idol lol. You never know where these people's music is being featured for the youth to enjoy lol.

As for The Beatles, they also have a hugely popular documentary series out right now, either on Hulu or Disney+, I don't remember. Plus, they are The Beatles. I am not actually a huge fan of them, but their legacy has never faced any challenge that I'm aware of.

The website I take this from is bursting with info and stats, analyzing it all is pretty tough, the site is also a bitch to navigate. What is clear though is that Thriller is here to stay but really lots of MJs streaming succes comes from that album so it might put overall numbers in perspective.

I wouldn't worry about what album is keeping him relevant right now. Thriller will always be his biggest album, and the avenue to new fans. It's not a bad thing, really. The only album I'm really sad for is HIStory because it never shows up in any charts and it's so good.

If you want to feel better, or encouraged, about Michael's streaming, think about all of the MAJOR artists that don't appear on any of these lists. Artists with huge legacies, icon status, legend status. No where on those lists. Michael always is though. Though I'll never understand why he isn't permanently a top 20 fixture, I also wasn't even a fan until this year when I was re-exposed to him via random videos on Facebook, and now I'm a borderline psycho fan so... 🤷‍♀️

Back