The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Elvis also gets a lot of Christmas play and wedding play. I was quite surprised about him too, though, tbh.

Elvis also gets a lot of Christmas play and wedding play. I was quite surprised about him too, though, tbh.
I guess the biopic which was a boxoffice hit elevated his streams too.
Elton John is slightly surprising too but then again he found the new formula for massive success with collaborating with hot current stars

@Nite Line still impressive imo considering Spotify is probably mainly used by young(er) people. I am quite astounded these old rock n roll tunes are liked by the younger generations. Especially since I literally never hear him on the radio anymore ( bar the little less conversation remix)

Hmm thriller 25 did better but I remembered a real hype for it. It charted top 10 literally all over the world, even hitting nr 1 in several countries. I don’t think it was eligible to enter the billboard top 200 back then but it sold enough to hit nr 2 the first week of its release.

T40 at nr 18 would make it perform only marginally better than Bad 25 (nr 23)

Hmm thriller 25 did better but I remembered a real hype for it. It charted top 10 literally all over the world, even hitting nr 1 in several countries. I don’t think it was eligible to enter the billboard top 200 back then but it sold enough to hit nr 2 the first week of its release.

Yeah but this is just for Thriller, not Thriller 40. Which means there's really no reason it should be performing so well haha

And of course by this ^ I mean it has every reason to do well because it's Michael Jackson and Thriller is perfect

This isn’t about Thriller 40, but the original Thriller album.

Incoming! Gonzo question alert!

Sorta losing the plot on this convo but can't resist asking for a reminder - why would T25 not have been eligible back then? I'm sure I'm supposed to know this but all this chart data is mashing my brain to pieces, lol.

Was happy to see T25 peaked at No.3 in the UK.

UK Official Charts - Chart run for T25 (19 weeks / 23.02.2008 - 28.06.2008)
Top 10 - 07 weeks / Top 20 - 13 / Top 40 - 16 / Top 75 - 25 / Top 100 - 27)
19 weeks on the chart in 2008 plus 8 more in 2009.

Sorry! Brain having a 'Chart Watch' moment. As you were! :D

Last edited:
Incoming! Gonzo question alert!

Sorta losing the plot on this convo but can't resist asking for a reminder - why would T25 not have been eligible back then? I'm sure I'm supposed to know this but all this chart data is mashing my brain to pieces, lol.

Was happy to see T25 peaked at No.3 in the UK.

UK Official Charts - Chart run for T25 (19 weeks / 23.02.2008 - 28.06.2008)
Top 10 - 07 weeks / Top 20 - 13 / Top 40 - 16 / Top 75 - 25 / Top 100 - 27)
19 weeks on the chart in 2008 plus 8 more in 2009.

Sorry! Brain having a 'Chart Watch' moment. As you were! :D

Because it was a re issue, and reissues didn’t count as new releases back then afaik.

Also is this higher than how Thriller charted in 2009?

Because it was a re issue, and reissues didn’t count as new releases back then afaik.

It was another chart-system back in 2009. Michaels albums counted only as catalog-albums and not BB 200-charts. He had for sure occupied place 1-10. after his death. Also Thriller 25 could also only chart after relase on the catalog-albums. This for example is the Catalog-album chart from the week end of july 2009

Billboard changed the sytem right to time where Beatels-catalog went on spotify, so that their first big streaming-increase could be counted for BB 200. The timing was sure not a coincidence.

Last edited:
It was another chart-system back in 2009. Michaels albums counted only as catalog-albums and not BB 200-charts. He had for sure occupied place 1-10. after his death. Also Thriller 25 could also only chart after relase on the catalog-albums. This for example is the Catalog-album chart from the week end of july 2009

Billboard changed the sytem right to time where Beatels-catalog went on spotify, so that their first big streaming-increase could be counted for BB 200. The timing was sure not a coincidence.

Didn’t remember when they started counting them, thanks.

Weird timing indeed

Thanks. That was the bit I forgot.

It was another chart-system back in 2009. Michaels albums counted only as catalog-albums and not BB 200-charts. He had for sure occupied place 1-10. after his death. Also Thriller 25 could also only chart after relase on the catalog-albums.

Goodness me! Did not know that.

Annita, could you please check the link of the Reuters article? I opened it but says not found.

Thriller reached #2 overall in 2008 for 2 wks
and was #2 for 1 week trailing NUMBER ones in 2009.

That's not true, Billboard 200 included the catalog albums at the end of 2009, it is rumored that it was due to the boom in catalog album sales after MJ's death and the remastering of The Beatles albums, but neither benefited fully as MJ died in June and The Beatles reissued their catalog in September.

"Starting with the issue dated December 5, 2009, however, the catalog limitations which removed albums over 18 months old, that have dropped below position 100 and have no currently-running single, from the Billboard 200 was lifted, turning the chart into an all-inclusive list of the 200 highest-selling albums in the country (essentially changing Top Comprehensive Albums into the Billboard 200). A new chart that keeps the previous criteria for the Billboard 200 (dubbed Top Current Albums) was also introduced in the same issue."

The same thing happened with the death of Whitney Houston, Billboard changed the rules and now catalog songs can re-enter the top 50 of the Billboard HOT 100.

Does anyone know how often a catalogue album outsold a new album in billboard history?

I’m very confucius to see MJ on top in front of all those political and historically important people. If Donald Trump reads this he will make sure he is on top by next week though so enjoy it while it lasts.

Back