The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

just posted by the official account

It's nice to see that Chicago is still growing. I thought that with all the hype surrounding Thriller 40, people will forget about Chicago.
I think Chicago is being streamed by the general public and fans alike. Or, if not the general public, likely people who are newer fans who maybe aren't paying much attention to T40, but are still hooked on Chicago and other of his current trending songs. That's just a theory. I have nothing to back this up lol.

I think Chicago is being streamed by the general public and fans alike. Or, if not the general public, likely people who are newer fans who maybe aren't paying much attention to T40, but are still hooked on Chicago and other of his current trending songs. That's just a theory. I have nothing to back this up lol.
You are right. Sadly, the new songs on Thriller 40 hardly got any attention from the public, while Chicago is still growing. I would love Who Do You Know to become a hit on tiktok.

You are right. Sadly, the new songs on Thriller 40 hardly got any attention from the public, while Chicago is still growing. I would love Who Do You Know to become a hit on tiktok.
I think it's very likely a song from T40 will go viral on TikTok at some point. I know there are some fans currently working on that.

But honestly, a #7 in the top 200 on Billboard is super impressive! I've seen a lot of headlines and articles about it hitting the top 10 already popping up. That's some great advertising on its own. But I'm with you. I would love to see the new Thriller 40 songs become popular!

A thing I have noticed is that Thriller 40 isn't charting. It is the original Thriller album that is charting. They have added sales & streams of Thriller 40 to the total of the original Thriller album.
Interesting.

It would be nice if the Estate could just write a simple tweet about Chicago blowing up over the past few months.
It's not hard, is it? Such a simple thing to do. Would be so cool.

https://hitlisten.nu/default.asp?list=lp20

On the official danish Vinyl/LP chart Thriller is #9 !! - That is the highest position for the album to have had on the Vinyl (LP) chart.

I do not understand why it charts. - There have been absolutely NO PROMOTION AT ALL !!! - So how people know about the album release is a mystery - or maybe MJ simply just have so many fans that if onlky fans buy the album will chart. - But imagine if they had promoted the album.

A TV-add, some banners on major danish websites, maybe banners on Spotify, iTunes, iMusic etc. etc. - could have improved sales dramaticly.

https://hitlisten.nu/

Thriller is #18 in Denmark this week. It does not say Thriller 40th Anniversary or anything. - The coverphoto is T25, but on the chart it only says Thriller. (Maybe it's all Thriller sales of all editions compined?)
Yeah I believe they are all compiled! I wondered the same consider the vinyl reissue isn't Thriller 40 with the bonus tracks, but just a new cover. But it makes sense if they all count toward the original Thriller sales. It's wise for it to.

https://hitlisten.nu/default.asp?list=lp20

On the official danish Vinyl/LP chart Thriller is #9 !! - That is the highest position for the album to have had on the Vinyl (LP) chart.

I do not understand why it charts. - There have been absolutely NO PROMOTION AT ALL !!! - So how people know about the album release is a mystery - or maybe MJ simply just have so many fans that if onlky fans buy the album will chart. - But imagine if they had promoted the album.

A TV-add, some banners on major danish websites, maybe banners on Spotify, iTunes, iMusic etc. etc. - could have improved sales dramaticly.
Right??? Thriller's success is insane right le. No promotion, which definitely suggests to me that Michael's fans are more more far, wide, and paying attention than we may think. I can't imagine how successful it would be if the general public was more cued in.

It's easy to say that Thriller sells itself. - And since it's in top200 all year there is some truth to the statement of course.

BUT - no product sells if noone knows it exists. And T40 is not known to the general public I think. I don't see how they should now when there are no adds, no billboards, no internet banners, no nothing. So the original Thriller sells XXX copies every week all year and a bit more around Halloween. - But a new version - T40 - will not sell itself.

BUT since Thriller (Thriller 40) charts all around the world T40 must have sold quite many copies last week - and not only from fans, but also from casual music buyers. Hopefully T40 will get more promotion so more people will buy/stream.

It's easy to say that Thriller sells itself. - And since it's in top200 all year there is some truth to the statement of course.

BUT - no product sells if noone knows it exists. And T40 is not known to the general public I think. I don't see how they should now when there are no adds, no billboards, no internet banners, no nothing.
Right up to the last minute I was hoping there would be signs of promotion for T40. I bought my CD from HMV on the day of release. There was one copy on the rack. No posters or any kind of in-store promo materials. Normally, on release day, a CD will not only have lots of supporting material but the shop will do a big display using multiple copies of the CD. They build a wall of CD's right near the entrance or somewhere it'll catch people's attention. Plus there will be stacks of the CD literally all over the shop. And, yes, this is all very old-school but if you're going to release a CD the promotion is likely to be fairly traditional. But it is still effective. Anyway, T40 had none of that. The HMV guy said they had requested promo stuff, whatever was available, but there was nothing. I checked two days ago. One copy on the rack. It's clearly one out, one in. For a new release that's not how it's usually done.

So the original Thriller sells XXX copies every week all year and a bit more around Halloween. - But a new version - T40 - will not sell itself.

BUT since Thriller (Thriller 40) charts all around the world T40 must have sold quite many copies last week - and not only from fans, but also from casual music buyers. Hopefully T40 will get more promotion so more people will buy/stream.
Hopefully from today. :D

And I've said it before but I still think there might be promo things planned for next year as each milestone crops up - BJ, Beat It, M25 (poss), Thriller the single / short film.

Well, a girl can dream, lol. :ROFLMAO:

BUT - no product sells if noone knows it exists. And T40 is not known to the general public I think. I don't see how they should now when there are no adds, no billboards, no internet banners, no nothing. So the original Thriller sells XXX copies every week all year and a bit more around Halloween. - But a new version - T40 - will not sell itself.

Just found this on Twitter. :D

It's easy to say that Thriller sells itself. - And since it's in top200 all year there is some truth to the statement of course. BUT - no product sells if noone knows it exists. And T40 is not known to the general public I think. I don't see how they should now when there are no adds, no billboards, no internet banners, no nothing. So the original Thriller sells XXX copies every week all year and a bit more around Halloween. - But a new version - T40 - will not sell itself. BUT since Thriller (Thriller 40) charts all around the world T40 must have sold quite many copies last week - and not only from fans, but also from casual music buyers. Hopefully T40 will get more promotion so more people will buy/stream.

Here's a cute little unofficial trailer. It's obviously been around a while but I only just found it now. Presumably fan-made. It's very nicely done. Very simple and straightforward, nothing fancy. Does a very nice job, imo.

Update - @83magic - just thought, you might wanna see this (you might have already, of course). It's a tiny little thing, really. But it's kinda lovely, imo.

Last edited:
Back