The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

It's amazing to see a non single The Lady In My Life certified.
IKR! I was more pleased about that than all the platinum stuff. I mean, that's all great and I'm stoked about it but, yay, LIML!

The only song from Thriller that isn't certified is Baby Be Mine. I hope some day BBM gets a certification.
It would be cool.

They should have milked thriller all the way lol 2 more singles plus one video for the lady in my life, sing both songs at some award show or so in 1985 and done.

WBSS seems very undercertified

They should have milked thriller all the way lol 2 more singles plus one video for the lady in my life, sing both songs at some award show or so in 1985 and done.

WBSS seems very undercertified
I thought WBSS would be way more popular than it is, considering that it was a constant part of Michael's live shows.

I am always surprised at how popular PYT is in USA, considering that Michael never performed it live.

I thought WBSS would be way more popular than it is, considering that it was a constant part of Michael's live shows.

I am always surprised at how popular PYT is in USA, considering that Michael never performed it live.
It puzzles me as well. At least in Belgium I hear WBSS a lot more on the radio, it was also overall a bigger hit then PYT so purely sales wise it should be way ahead. Though in streaming terms PYT has double the numbers. I think a double platinum is the absolute minimum though

Billboard Year End 2022

Billboard 200 Albums:
Thriller: #94 (-21 from last year)
The Essential Michael Jackson: #145 (+18 from last year)

Top R&B Albums:
Thriller: #11 (-2)
The Essential Michael Jackson: #19 (Same as last year)

Catalog Albums:
Thriller: #28 (-17)
The Essential Michael Jackson: #34 (+3)

Top Album Sales:
Thriller: #48 (-32)

Top R&B / Hip Hop Albums:
Thriller: #65 (-13)
The Essential Michael Jackson: #89 (Not in last year's chart)

Top Artists:
Michael Jackson: #70 (+9)

Billboard 200 Artists:
Michael Jackson: #41 (+1)

Top R&B Albums Artists:
Michael Jackson: #5 (-1)

Catalog Artists:
Michael Jackson: #9 (-3)

Billboard Year End 2022

Catalog Artists:
Michael Jackson: #9 (-3)
It’s all really cool but if MJ is for example the nr 9 selling catalogue artist then who the hell are the 9 other old artists that sell even more than him?

It’s all really cool but if MJ is for example the nr 9 selling catalogue artist then who the hell are the 9 other old artists that sell even more than him?
Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
Drake
Taylor Swift
Bad Bunny
Fleetwood Mac
Queen
Eminem

With the exception of Fleetwood Mac and Queen, the rest are all contemporary artists who are still releasing new music. So I don’t really know what defines a catalog artist.

Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
Drake
Taylor Swift
Bad Bunny
Fleetwood Mac
Queen
Eminem

With the exception of Fleetwood Mac and Queen, the rest are all contemporary artists who are still releasing new music. So I don’t really know what defines a catalog artist.
Weird. I thought the whole catalogue thing was almost adjacent to 'legacy' artist. Clearly I am mistaken, lol.

These Fleetwood Mac sales can’t yet be because of the passing of McVie so I reckon they will go nr 1 in the catalogue chart next week.

I am so puzzled by Queen, they were always popular but they weren’t taken as a serious rock band in the 80s or 90s. They seem to grow more popular with each decade. Very peculiar!

What are Queen’s best selling catalogue albums?

I am so puzzled by Queen, they were always popular but they weren’t taken as a serious rock band in the 80s or 90s. They seem to grow more popular with each decade. Very peculiar!

Their first greatest hits album that charts regularly in the UK and US. It has sold like 25 million copies worldwide.

I am a big Queen fan so I am delighted to see their recent success, after the biopic.

Their first greatest hits album that charts regularly in the UK and US. It has sold like 25 million copies worldwide.

I am a big Queen fan so I am delighted to see their recent success, after the biopic.
So their main sales also come from 1 or 2 albums like MJ. It is not like their entire back catalogue still has good sales?

I wish they will release the What a lovely way to go remix with Mark Ronson as a single. I think it will hit-potential.

The Jackson 5's 'Christmas Album' has now surpassed 400 million streams on Spotify.

Last edited:

Back