1. Thriller : 3 338 231 863
2. Mauvais : 2 445 793 321
3. HISTOIRE : 2 052 557 964
4. Dangereux : 1 706 514 043
5. Hors du mur : 693 441 688
6. Xscape : 489 937 290
7. Invincible : 366 592 168
'TH- VINYL WW:278,000

You have to make an account on a website with a foreign language. I don’t know if it is hard or not to make an account I have had an account for many years so I forgot how it works.

edit: if you really want to vote you have to click in the top corner on the right “ nog geen vrt profiel?” And then fill in username and password. After that you pick 5 albums and click the red button below. That should do it.

this is the link, you have only 2 days left to vote.

De Tijdloze Album Top 500 (translated, the timeless album top 500)

And at last the results of this massive poll are in. I was listening to the last stretch live on the radio and I got really nervous because it took ages and ages for thriller to surface. You see both Off the wall at nr 304 and Bad at nr 119 made the list so I was certain Thriller would follow! I knew it was not top 5 because the 5 most chosen albums were already revealed (only the order was still undecided) So I was listening reveal after reveal and at nr 9 were The Beatles (Sgt Pepper), the presenter said they had one more entry to come (and that was not in the top 5). This meant there were just 3 slots left for Thriller to come. Honestly the pessimist in me thought they possibly could have boycotted thriller but then finally I could let my nerves settle down as Thriller came in at a magnificent 7th place!

The presenters gave some positive comments about the album and played both WBSS and Thriller of the album. The only thing that irked me was that they of course needed to say that the success was also thanks to Quincy Jones. They are partly right, I don't deny that but with none of the other albums in the top 30 they also credited the producers.

Here are the final 30 albums as ranked by the Belgian public:

30. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
29. AC/DC - Back in Black
28. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
27. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
26. Neil Young - Harvest
25. Simple Minds - New Gold Dreams
24. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
23. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
22. Pixies - Doolittle
21. The Cure - Disintigration
20. Queens of the Stone age - Songs for the Dead
19. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
18. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
17. Pink Floyd - The Wall
16. Amy Winehouse - Back in Black
15. U2 - The Joshue Tree
14. Bruce Springsteen - The River
13. Arctic Monkeys - AM
12. Prince - Purple Rain
11. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
10. The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hard Club Band
9. Paul Simon - Graceland
8. Metallica - The Black Album
7. Michael Jackson - Thriller
6. The Beatles - Abbey Road
5. Radiohead - OK Computer
4. Nirvana - Nevermind
3. Pearl Jam - Ten
2. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

So you can see this is very rock oriented. The reason behind this is that the radio station that organized this competition is a very alternative radio station. I initially thought Thriller would not even make the top 100 but how wrong was I!

So in case you missed it in my wall of text (that's what I do when I'm excited):

Off the wall nr 304
Bad nr 119
Thriller nr 7

Also in case you're interested my top 5 was:

1. Michael Jackson - Thriller
2. Sun kil Moon - April (the singer is a Michael Jackson hater but I don't let that influence me)
3. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
4. Michael Jackson - Dangerous (sadly did not make the list)
5. Bathory - Twilight of the Gods

Just 2 of my picks made the top 500 list.

Those who know me also know I am obsessed with all time lists. Belgian radio nostalgie held its annual top 3000 songs of all time as voted by the public. I forgot to vote unfortunately but I made good by voting for the final stretch. The final stretch are the last 30 songs, they are unranked yet. Luckily Billie Jean made it to the final 30 so I voted for that song. Hopefully it can get it in the top 10. I’m not thinking about nr 1 these places are always for Queen, Abba or Bryan Adams.

Either way the list from nr 3000 to 31 is already up in the air and it is glorious. Michael Jackson has 28 solo songs in the list which make him the solo artist with most entries! He is featured 8 more times as part of the jackson(s) 5 for a total of 36 songs with MJ on lead vocals in the list! This accumulated total beats Queen who have 34 entries.
The only other artist with more entries is Paul McCartney (25 with the Beatles and 13 solo/Wings).

These songs made the list:
The Jacksons: Blame it on the boogie, can you feel it, shake your body, state of shock, torture
The Jackson 5: ABC, I want you back, I’ll be there
Solo: Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, Wanna be startin something, black or white, don’t stop till you get enough, man in the mirror, Bad, Heal the world, Rock with you, Dirty Diana, human nature, you are not alone, earth song, off the wall, Ben, I just can’t stop loving you, The girl is mine, Smooth criminal, they dont care about us, say say say, the way you make me feel, will you be there, love never felt so good, remember the time, one day in your life, HIStory (remix), give in to me

Solo breakdown
Thriller: 6 tracks
Bad: 6 tracks
Dangerous: 5 tracks
HIStory: 3 tracks
Off the wall: 3 tracks
Blood on the dancefloor: 1 track
Xscape: 1 track
Motown: 2 tracks

This makes me super happy

This list also finally had its ending today. As you can see in my quoted post the top 30 was yet undecided. Billie Jean ultimately ended up as the nr 17 most popular song of all time as voted by the listeners of radio station Nostalgie (translated: Nostalgia)

De Tijdloze Album Top 500 (translated, the timeless album top 500)

Thriller came in at a magnificent 7th place!
❤️

The presenters gave some positive comments about the album and played both WBSS and Thriller of the album. The only thing that irked me was that they of course needed to say that the success was also thanks to Quincy Jones.
I actually don't mind this as long as they aren't trying to suggest that Michael's talent had nothing to do with it. I do think Quincy brought a lot of stuff to the table that other producers mostly don't. Especially rock producers. They do a good job, don't get me wrong. They do make the band sound better, no question. But I do think Q was bringing a whole vision to the project and that, for me, is at least as important as Michael's own vision. The alchemy / chemistry / whatever was beautiful.

They are partly right, I don't deny that but with none of the other albums in the top 30 they also credited the producers.
I honestly think that could be bc they are mostly rock producers.

Here are the final 30 albums as ranked by the Belgian public:

30. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
29. AC/DC - Back in Black
28. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
27. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
26. Neil Young - Harvest
25. Simple Minds - New Gold Dreams
24. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
23. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
22. Pixies - Doolittle
21. The Cure - Disintigration
20. Queens of the Stone age - Songs for the Dead
19. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
18. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
17. Pink Floyd - The Wall
16. Amy Winehouse - Back in Black
15. U2 - The Joshue Tree
14. Bruce Springsteen - The River
13. Arctic Monkeys - AM
12. Prince - Purple Rain
11. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
10. The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hard Club Band
9. Paul Simon - Graceland
8. Metallica - The Black Album
7. Michael Jackson - Thriller
6. The Beatles - Abbey Road
5. Radiohead - OK Computer
4. Nirvana - Nevermind
3. Pearl Jam - Ten
2. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
That top 5 is immensely uninspiring but if that's how the voting went, I guess you can't argue with it.

So you can see this is very rock oriented. The reason behind this is that the radio station that organized this competition is a very alternative radio station. I initially thought Thriller would not even make the top 100 but how wrong was I!
Top 10 for Michael is fabulous when you see the type of music preferred by the station and its listeners. Totally stoked by Marvin Gaye getting in there, also. He should have been much higher, imo, but I'll take Top 30. That's cool.

So in case you missed it in my wall of text (that's what I do when I'm excited):
:ROFLMAO:

Off the wall nr 304
Bad nr 119
Thriller nr 7

Also in case you're interested my top 5 was:

1. Michael Jackson - Thriller
2. Sun kil Moon - April (the singer is a Michael Jackson hater but I don't let that influence me)
3. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
4. Michael Jackson - Dangerous (sadly did not make the list)
5. Bathory - Twilight of the Gods

Just 2 of my picks made the top 500 list.
Bathory? Cute!

@zinniabooklover

- I'm always very nervous when djs play MJ, will they say something bad or not? I can't stand it when they do lol, he is such an easy victim...

- My top 4 is pretty much fixed for life but Bathory at 5 I regret slightly, I should have given that spot to my fave Belgian artist Guido Belancto (I have posted a video once). Also stoked for Marvin Gaye, I'm a big fan.

- If you know the radio station the top 5 is completely expected. They had their best years in the early 90s when Pearl Jam and Nirvana ruled the world so it was a given they would be in there. I'm actually surprised they are not 1 and 2! Fleetwood Mac is surging in popularity on every radio station and poll. They're almost as big as Queen now in Belgium. I still don't know why this is happening.
Pink Floyd would probably be nr 1 in most countries I reckon, they're together with the Beatles the most critically acclaimed bands ever.

Top-50 selling vinyls in Q1 2023 in the United States (via HDD) 🇺🇸

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_1801480829.jpg

Off course. Would be intresting to see how far away other MJ-albums are to reach the Top 50.
Oh hi annita. I have posted the album top 500 poll results a couple of posts above. You asked if you could take a vote yourself. I don’t know if you did in the end but the result is great!

Oh hi annita. I have posted the album top 500 poll results a couple of posts above. You asked if you could take a vote yourself. I don’t know if you did in the end but the result is great!
Yes thankyou for the results. Thriller on 7 is great. Would have epxected Billie Jean in Top 10, but 17 is also not bad.
About Quincy I have to say I have heard birthday-wishes on 2 station for him and so his work with Michael did play a big role in the reports and I am glad they did not downplay Michael, it was more like 2 masters who complemented each other perfectly.

@Agonum I don't mind including compilation albums into these statistics. I do mind Michael having seemingly a dozen or so greatest hits compilations lol
One really good 3 album package instead of all the sales that are now divided into number ones, essential, king of pop, this is it, scream, ultimate collection, history and possibly more albums that I have forgotten.

This is a 20 million seller even with 3 discs but most of all it is less chaotic lol

@Agonum I don't mind including compilation albums into these statistics. I do mind Michael having seemingly a dozen or so greatest hits compilations lol
One really good 3 album package instead of all the sales that are now divided into number ones, essential, king of pop, this is it, scream, ultimate collection, history and possibly more albums that I have forgotten.

This is a 20 million seller even with 3 discs but most of all it is less chaotic lol
The Essential Collection is in my mind pretty definitive, all things considered. I do like HIStory as a collection. And Number Ones is popular. But the others yeah, are pretty superfluous.

So you would prefer a 3 disc compilation in place of what we have now? Could work, although I’m afraid it would be kind of expensive.

Isn’t Michael’s number of compilations nothing extraordinary? All bigger artists seems to have more than a few offerings on the market. On that note, it is interesting that Michael hadn’t released a single greatest hits package before 1995! (Excluding Motown’s 1975 release.)

So you would prefer a 3 disc compilation in place of what we have now? Could work, although I’m afraid it would be kind of expensive.

Isn’t Michael’s number of compilations nothing extraordinary? All bigger artists seems to have more than a few offerings on the market. On that note, it is interesting that Michael hadn’t released a single greatest hits package before 1995! (Excluding Motown’s 1975 release.)
Yeah it is very common. Elvis has dozens and dozens but he also released a ton more singles so you can play around a bit with the tracklists.

According to wikipedia there was also this in 1972 “A Collection of Michael Jackson's Oldies”. I never heard of it before.
There is also the J5 1971 greatest hits album which had sugar daddy as bonus track. So weird to have a greatest hits package 1,5 years after your first hit lol

According to wikipedia there was also this in 1972 “A Collection of Michael Jackson's Oldies”. I never heard of it before.
There is also the J5 1971 greatest hits album which had sugar daddy as bonus track. So weird to have a greatest hits package 1,5 years after your first hit lol
That first one… doesn’t exist. Correct me if I’m wrong. But the title and year of release doesn’t make sense.

@Annita
There is a thread for pictures like that 😜 unless it is your intention of luring some of those ladies to the chart thread 😇 COULD work…

Back