The Michael Jackson Musical: 'MJ'

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Musical ‘MJ’ Hits Broadway In December; Ephraim Sykes In Title Role

Michael Jackson Musical ‘MJ’ Hits Broadway In December – Deadline

<article class="pmc-a-grid-item pmc-a-span2@desktop u-max-width-100p" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: medium; box-sizing: border-box; flex: 0 0 66.6667%; padding: 0px; grid-column: span 2 / auto; max-width: 100%;">MJ, the new musical inspired by the life of Michael Jackson, will begin performances on Broadway December 6, with an opening night set for Tuesday, February 1, 2022, at the Neil Simon Theatre, producers announced today.

As previously announced, MJ, which will star Tony Award nominee Ephraim Sykes, features a book by two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage and a score made up of Jackson’s hits. Christopher Wheeldon will direct and choreograph.
Producers Lia Vollack Productions and The Michael Jackson Estate made the announcement this morning.

The creative team will feature Scenic Design by Tony and two-time Emmy Award winner Derek McLane, Lighting Design by six-time Tony Award winner Natasha Katz, Costume Design by Tony and Emmy Award winner Paul Tazewell, Sound Design by two-time Tony Award nominee Gareth Owen, Projection Design by two-time Tony Award nominee Peter Nigrini, and Hair & Wig Design by two-time Emmy Award nominee Charles LaPointe.
MJ-Official-Key-Art.jpeg
The creative team will also feature Musical Supervision by David Holcenberg, Orchestrations and Arrangements by David Holcenberg and Tony Award winner Jason Michael Webb, and Music Direction by Jason Michael Webb.

Anyone who previously purchased tickets to MJ at Ticketmaster.com will be notified via email about pre-sale priority access to purchase tickets for the new dates. Tickets will be on sale for the general public beginning Tuesday, May 18 at 10 am ET.

MJ originally had been set to begin Broadway previews on July 6, 2020, with an opening night of August 13, then initially postponed to March 2021 due to the pandemic shutdown.

The musical, which is not expected to focus on Jackson’s personal life or controversies, depicts the Thriller star and his collaborators as they rehearse for the 1992 Dangerous Tour.

</article>

CherubimII

Proud Member
STARTIN’ SOMETHIN’ ON BROADWAY DECEMBER 6, 2021

[FONT=&amp]iHeartRadio EXCLUSIVE PRESALE:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]GET EARLY ACCESS TO TICKETS STARTIN’ MAY 17 AT 10AM
Click on the Link below
https://mjthemusical.com/

iHeartRadio Subscription is Not Required
Flexible Exchanges and Refunds are available.

MJ is the electrifying new Broadway musical that takes audiences inside the creative process of one of the greatest entertainers in history. Featuring over 25 of Michael Jackson’s biggest hits, MJ allows us to rediscover the man in the mirror – with an explosion of music and theatricality as unforgettable as the artist himself. Book by Lynn Nottage. Directed & Choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon.

Broadway performances of MJ will begin December 6, 2021. Access presale tickets here beginning May 17 at 10AM, through our sponsors at iHeartRadio. You do not need to be an iHeartRadio subscriber to access this presale. Tickets go on sale to the general public May 18.

[/FONT]

Snek

Proud Member
I wish they would go into his personal life in this show. Although maybe that wouldn’t make for a good Broadway story; it’s all about the spectacle in the end isn’t it?

Sucks that there might not be any HIStory or Invincible songs, those eras are ignored all too often. I hope one day I’ll be able to see this if I go to the USA.

Carmour260

Proud Member
After everything that went on, especially with this pandemic, I'm looking forward to see this new musical, hopefully sometime next year

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member
MOR316;4322200 said:
What exactly is the story being told here?

I saw some guy on Twitter say he saw a run through and it ends with confronting him about the start of the allegations...
Now obviously you don't believe everything you see on Twitter but, I can't imagine that The Estate would be stupid enough to sign off on that...
I also don't think the writers would be stupid enough to end a Broadway show like that...

I don’t believe that for a moment.

CherubimII

Proud Member
No one does a 360 degree spin like Michael Jackson; but let's hope the dancers in MJ the musical at least attempt some facsimile. :tonguev4:

Last edited:

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$40.00
“MJ The Musical” is due to open its doors in December, but when it does, a new actor will be moonwalking into the role of the King of Pop!

With the pandemic, schedules and jobs have been moving around and the original “Michael”, Ephraim Sykes, is no longer able to make the show.

In a statement he said:

“It’s with a heavy heart that I depart ‘MJ,’ this year has brought a lot of change and opportunity, and although it’s bittersweet to say goodbye to an iconic role and production, I look forward to what is to come. Thank you to the ‘MJ’ team and congratulations to Myles. I can’t wait to see you shine as the King of Pop and for us all to celebrate the return of Broadway.”

Myles Frost will take his place and make his Broadway debut in the production. Myles is known for his role in the TV series “Family Reunion” (2019-2020) and in the movie “All In” (2019).

“We are extremely excited about Myles,” said the musical’s director and choreographer, Tony winner Christopher Wheeldon. “All of his talents point towards a new rising star. I’m very much looking forward to working with him to shape the role of Michael Jackson for MJ.”

https://www.playbill.com/article/ep...-musical-mj-myles-frost-takes-over-title-role

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$40.00
A new leading man is stepping into the spotlight—Myles Frost will debut as Michael Jackson when #MJtheMusical comes to Broadway this December. pic.twitter.com/lMYsJMxVPZ&mdash; MJ (@MJtheMusical) June 29, 2021

In his Broadway debut, Myles Frost will take on the iconic role of Michael Jackson with #MJtheMusical this December. https://t.co/K3QN4SuXgz&mdash; MJ (@MJtheMusical) June 29, 2021

Meet newcomer Myles Frost, who will be stepping in for Ephraim Sykes as the King of Pop. https://t.co/UCCr5xYAsR&mdash; Entertainment Weekly (@EW) June 29, 2021

Eleonora74

Proud Member
https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/06/...-pop-as-tony-nominee-moonwalks-away-from-show

I don't know if someone already posted. According to Roger Friedman...

[...] But without Sykes, there’s no draw from the show. It’s just about Michael Jackson. And so far, ticket sales are grim. They’re not moving. At all. A look through Ticketmaster reveals seas of blue dots, meaning unsold seats, every night from the beginning of previews in December through opening night in February.[...]

Hope this show will debut on stage as Michael Jackson deserves. I would have considered the hypothesis of a show in Europe instead in US.

Ele

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member
https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/06/...-pop-as-tony-nominee-moonwalks-away-from-show

I don't know if someone already posted. According to Roger Friedman...

[...] But without Sykes, there’s no draw from the show. It’s just about Michael Jackson. And so far, ticket sales are grim. They’re not moving. At all. A look through Ticketmaster reveals seas of blue dots, meaning unsold seats, every night from the beginning of previews in December through opening night in February.[...]

Hope this show will debut on stage as Michael Jackson deserves. I would have considered the hypothesis of a show in Europe instead in US.

Ele

I also hope the musical debuts. A lot of fans forget that if this musical fails the media will call it a Michael Jackson failure and NOT an Estate failure. For those that are against the Estate, please remember that fact.

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$40.00
Advance Sales for Michael Jackson Broadway Musical “MJ” Suffering Even Though King of Pop’s Record Sales are Soaring

by Roger Friedman - July 26, 2021 1:53 pm

E67b_IbXEAcMcnL

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/07/...-though-king-of-pops-record-sales-are-soaring

“MJ: The Michael Jackson Musical” is suffering at the box office.

Advance sales are very poor so far because tourists are restricted from traveling to New York.

Most travelers from European countries, Britain, and many other countries are banned from entering the US right now depending on vaccinations, etc.

The result is all Broadway shows are suffering a lack of advanced sales. “MJ” isn’t alone, but the news isn’t good.

Aside from a couple of well sold Saturday nights in December, the shows are largely empty so far. On Ticketmaster.com, the seat maps are seas of blue dots waiting for purchase.

A website called StacyKnows.com just sent out a message saying they have a chunk of tickets available for December 9th, for $140. The first preview, on December 6th, still has a number of seats for sale.

It’s surprising, too, because Michael Jackson is on target to sell almost a million albums this year, half of which are copies of “Thriller.” His popularity is not an issue.

But the tourism restrictions, the prices, and fear of sitting in theaters is clearly inhibiting audiences from making plans.

CherubimII

Proud Member
Broadway: Michael Jackson Musical Sets Cast, Reveals Characters Including Jackson 5, Berry Gordy, and Michael’s Parents

mural.jpg

The cast and characters for “MJ: The Michael Jackson Musical” were revealed this morning.

We now know who the main characters are in the story. They include Michael, his parents, the Jackson 5, and Motown founder Berry Gordy.

So far not included in the characters list are people like Diana Ross, or Bobby Taylor, who discovered the Jackson 5 with Gladys Knight and brought them to Gordy. They may very well not be in this story.

There are no marquee names on the cast list, but these people are no doubt incredibly talented. They include:

Myles Frost plays Michael. Quentin Earl Darrington as Joseph Jackson / Rob, Whitney Bashor as Rachel, Gabriel Ruiz as Alejandro, Antoine L. Smith as Berry Gordy / Nick, Joey Sorge as Dave, John Edwards as Jackie Jackson / Ensemble, Ayana George as Katherine Jackson, Apollo Levine as Quincy Jones / Tito Jackson, Tavon Olds-Sample as Michael, Lamont Walker II as Jermaine Jackson / Ensemble, Zelig Williams as Marlon Jackson / Ensemble, with Raymond Baynard, Kali May Grinder, Oyoyo Joi, Carina-Kay Louchiey, Renni Anthony Magee, Aaron James McKenzie, Aramie Payton, Kamille Upshaw, Ryan VanDenBoom, and Darius Wright rounding out the ensemble.

“MJ” starts previews December 6th and opens February 1st. Again, the people putting the show together are among the best on Broadway, including producer Lia Vollack and her husband, the great Tony winning set designer Derek McLane. Lynn Nottage wrote the book, Christopher Wheeldon is the director/choreographer.

Everyone involved is top notch. So if this show doesn’t work, with all of Michael’s hits and Jackson 5 singles, etc. it’s time to go home!

Broadway: Michael Jackson Musical Sets Cast, Reveals Characters Including Jackson 5, Berry Gordy, and Michael’s Parents | Showbiz411

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$40.00
@mjthemusical
is the electrifying new Broadway show that takes audiences inside the creative process of one of the greatest entertainers in history. Opens December 6, 2021, at the Neil Simon Theater.

FBDNpVSWEAEztf1

Hess

Proud Member
Today, 50 days before showtime, the first MJ Musical show sold out. From now on only resale and return tickets are available. It's unprecedented for a brand new show on Broadway with an unknown lead, let alone during a pandemic. #MJTheMusical

FCA1b84UYAEkgWf

Wow - I thought it was normal for these kind of shows to be sold out. But great news.

I would love to see the show, but with to small children (1 and 4) I doubt I will get the chance to travel and see it.
I just really hope the show is great and gets good critique and good feedback from the fans. Would be nice with a new MJ success.

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$40.00
FCz5lqBXIAUnWz8
FCz5mlRXEAErxPt

Introducing #MJtheMusical’s “Little Michael”, Christian Wilson & Walter Russell III, and “Little Marlon”, Devin Trey Campbell. Don’t miss these electrifying young performers when they take the stage on December 6th.