The Michael Jackson Musical: 'MJ'

After 10 years or 15 years of successful popularity, there may be two versions of the show, the original “Broadway” and the revamped one. As in the Cher Show. The revamped one includes new songs which includes just every Michael Jackson version in one number, the increase in Michael Jackson versions, Michael Jacksons playing instruments (piano, keyboards, guitar, drums, percussion etc), new dialogue, songs that will be rearranged, which replacing other characters with MJ versions, multiple Michael Jacksons in new arrangements of songs from the original production, new reprises adding, and new scenes. The original production that we know and love is going to continue to run.

Last edited:
F3DHk5dWsAEl6Se

Huge crowd blocking Randolph Street to see MJ The Musical

Are people excited for the MJ broadway album? Since it's not Michael singing it doesn't really excite me.
Clearly it's not as exciting as an actual MJ album, but I'm always interested in hearing other artists cover MJ songs.

In the last year I've bought two albums based on cover versions of Smooth Criminal...

I’m a bit disappointed with the Broadway cast recording, to be truthful. Normally soundtracks of this nature include bits of dialogue so the listener can get a clearer idea of what’s taking place onstage, but this album is constructed more like a traditional pop album, so there isn’t any context as to why certain songs are being sung.
I've got a few cast recordings (Grease being one that doesn't have any sort of dialog). I'm not so bothered about that.

Anyway, after one single listen to it on YouTube, my initial comments are as follows:
  • The selection of songs seems quite good.
  • The order of the songs seems a bit strange (Beat It too early, WBSS too late, etc). But I guess they had to do what they did to tell the story they wanted.
  • Unfortunate that they butchered Earth Song
  • A couple of songs seem a bit too slow, others seem a bit too fast
  • The finale seems a bit rushed
Otherwise, it's not bad.

Anyway, what's the consensus on the CD? Have many people here got it? Is the sound quality good? Does it stand up to repeat listening?

‘MJ’ a thriller of a tribute to Michael Jackson’s music​

The glossy new stage musical lets you know with its first big number that this is a celebration of the King of Pop.​

By Catey Sullivan - For the Sun-Times

Aug 10, 2023, 4:09pm CDT

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment-and-culture/2023/8/10/23827600/mj-musical-review-chicago-michael-jackson-theater
Roman Banks as ‘MJ’ and the cast of “MJ “First National Tour.

Michael Jackson (Roman Banks) and the cast of “MJ” at the Nederlander Theatre.
Matthew Murphy/MurphyMade

If you were lucky enough to see Michael Jackson in concert, you know the seemingly impossible star power he exerted on stage and over a crowd. He was a luminous, peerless performer whether he was in an arena on tour or on the small screen dancing his heart out with his brothers as the Jackson 5 on “Soul Train.” When he debuted his robot dance as a teenager, Jackson had only begun to reveal the impact he’d have on not just pop culture, but culture. Period.
The glossy new musical “MJ” lets you know with its first big number — an eye-popping, dance-inducing rendition of “Beat It” — that this is a celebration of the King of Pop enacted by a crew of performers up to the extraordinary task of capturing the essence of the Grammy-winning artist and his music.
‘MJ’

When: Through Sept. 2
Where: James M. Nederlander Theatre, 24 W. Randolph St.
Tickets: $ $52.50 - $132.50
Run-time: 2 hours and 30 minutes, including one intermission
Info: BroadwayInChicago.com
Directed and choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon (who won a Tony for his choreography), the musical that launched its first national tour in Chicago this week is at its best during its astonishing production numbers, epic renditions of “Billie Jean” and “Smooth Criminal” among the nearly three dozen Jackson tunes featured.

Wheeldon, a former soloist and resident choreographer with the New York City Ballet, has an exhaustive dance vocabulary (he re-invented “The Nutcracker” for the Joffrey Ballet here). He creates a jaw-dropping spectacle that includes Jackson’s signature moves merged with Wheeldon’s own high-octane legwork. When everyone on stage is in motion, it’s a breathtaking vision of athleticism and grace.

As the title character, Roman Banks is a force of nature, capturing the moves, the energy and the revolutionary creativity Jackson embodied.
In two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage’s book, the musical begins in 1992, as the rehearsals for Jackson’s “Dangerous” world tour are in their final days. From the rehearsal room, “MJ” moves between flashbacks and the present — from the Jackson 5’s genesis in their Gary, Indiana, home to an audition for Motown’s Barry Gordy to ultimately the incandescent opening moments of the tour.
Michael (Roman Banks) reluctantly converses with MTV producer Rachel (Mary Kate Moore) in “MJ.” First National Tour.

Michael (Roman Banks) reluctantly converses with MTV producer Rachel (Mary Kate Moore) in “MJ.”
Jackson is played in his teen years by a charismatic Brandon Lee Harris and as a child by an endearing Josiah Benson (who alternates in the role with Ethan Joseph). Throughout, a two-person MTV documentary crew (Mary Kate Moore and Da’Von Moody) follows the action and tries to get Jackson to open up about his music and more importantly, his life.
The 1992 setting means all that embroiled Jackson later — the 1993 allegations of sexual battery on a child, his arrest on child molestation charges in 2003, and the 2005 trial that acquitted him on all counts — aren’t a factor. In this telling, Jackson is a tortured artistic genius who always delivers despite being hunted by the media, haunted by his past and under unmanageable pressure in the present.
Still, Jackson’s demons are never far from the surface in “MJ.” We see him popping pain pills, and mortgaging his Neverland ranch to fund the tour as his inner circle becomes increasingly concerned.
The Jackson 5 — (back row) Josh A. Dawson (Tito), Jay Mackenzie (Jackie), Bryson Jacobi Jackson (Jermaine) and (front row) Jaylen Lyndon Hunter (Little Marlon) and Ethan Joseph (Little Michael) — begin to establish themselves as a music powerhouse in “MJ.” 

The Jackson 5 — (back row) Josh A. Dawson (Tito), Jay Mackenzie (Jackie), Bryson Jacobi Jackson (Jermaine) and (front row) Jaylen Lyndon Hunter (Little Marlon) and Ethan Joseph (Little Michael) — begin to establish themselves as a music powerhouse in “MJ.”
Michael Murphy/MurphyMade

“MJ” shows the terrible pressures Jackson faced as a child at the hands of a simultaneously loving and abusive father, Joseph (Devin Bowles, who is also cast as Rob, Michael’s tour manager). If Joseph has to backhand the youngest member of the Jackson 5 into rehearsing, so be it.
The musical remains at its most glorious during the big production numbers, which include a rich catalogue of Jackson hits, with Jackson’s ruthless perfectionism shining through in Banks’ almost mind-blowing performance. If you didn’t know better, you’d swear that was Jackson himself moving through the sinewy, rueful “Human Nature” and the crackling rage of “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ ” or the celebratory “Black or White.”
Tour manager Rob (Devin Bowles) discusses the seemingly impossible requests about the tour’s production numbers with the perfectionist Michael (Roman Banks) in “MJ.”

Tour manager Rob (Devin Bowles) discusses the seemingly impossible requests about the tour’s production numbers with the perfectionist Michael (Roman Banks) in “MJ.”
The epic “Thriller” scene somehow manages to be as riveting as the original, ground-breaking video. Here, the first monster to emerge morphs from within a looming silhouette of Jackson’s father. “They Don’t Care About Us” becomes a song of raging defiance punctuated by dance that’s all stabbing angles and angry stomps. When the Jackson 5 run through “ABC” in a montage of hits, they deliver the infectious, rhythm charisma of the group’s seminal performances on “Soul Train” and “The Ed Sullivan Show.”
Paul Tazewell’s often literally dazzling costumes feature instantly recognizable renditions of Jackson’s indelible looks, from the billowy white shirt to the iconic silver-sequined glove to the red “Thriller” and military-style jackets Jackson wore with such panache.
Like the costumes, the sets (by Derek Lane) and cinematic projections (Peter Nigrini) create a world of ever-shifting color and light, and an environment that feels as elaborate as an actual Jackson tour’s massive production numbers.

Wheeldon and Nottage also take great care to acknowledge Jackson’s varied influences: Bob Fosse slinks across the stage. Fred Astaire glides by in top hat and tux. The acrobatic tap dancing of the Nicholas Brothers turn the stage into a space of jubilation.

“MJ” doesn’t truly delve who Michael Jackson was beyond an iconic, perfectionist, performer. It’s a pop psychology portrait of an icon that avoids really digging deep or dealing with the most hellacious headlines and accusations Jackson faced. It’s irresistible, nonetheless.

Any more comments on the CD? Is it the sort of thing you buy just to collect, or is it the sort of thing you actually listen to?

I don't think they had to cut anything for time. The album is 60 minutes. A CD can hold around 75-80 minutes. So there is at least 15 more minutes they could have used.
That's a good point. It could flesh out some of these medleys where one song only gets 1 minute...

I am sure MJ the musical will do well, backed by the big guns and all . But I like the history of Thriller Live . Being it was the first of it's kind back then. i'll always appreciate what Adrian did for M and fans. He put out alot for us. And I think Michael liked Thriller Live. :) If i can recall there was talk he was somewhere in the audience of 2006- 2008. M & Adrian back in 1990.
Yeah. I saw Thriller - Live in Manchester and loved it. They did a great job dividing up the songs between all the cast.

I think that show has now been performed in about 20 countries, it's certainly the biggest success story as far as stage shows are concerned.

I hope Michael Jackson's instrument playing (guitar, keyboards, bass, drums, piano, percussion) will also be incorporated into MJ the Musical if the musical is revamped. The number of Michael Jackson incarnations will be increased. Also dialogue with every MJ version will be incorporated. I hope at least one of the songs will be sung by all Michael Jackson characters, representing every era and some of the songs will have to be rearranged, replacing one of the other characters with one of the versions of Michael. The revamped version will surpass the popularity of the original version. Each version of MJ will have a solo song in the updated musical. The revamped version will also have a cast album.
So what you're saying is: the musical isn't very good? It's lacking in many ways and you'd like it completely rewritten?

Last edited:
Any more comments on the CD? Is it the sort of thing you buy just to collect, or is it the sort of thing you actually listen to?

That's a good point. It could flesh out some of these medleys where one song only gets 1 minute...

Yeah. I saw Thriller - Live in Manchester and loved it. They did a great job dividing up the songs between all the cast.

I think that show has now been performed in about 20 countries, it's certainly the biggest success story as far as stage shows are concerned.

So what you're saying is: the musical isn't very good? It's lacking in many ways and you'd like it completely rewritten?
There can be two versions of the show simultaneously: the original Broadway and the overhaul one. Similar to the Cher Show. The original production is still going to continue for fans who want to keep the original formula of the show.

Last edited:
I love seeing the great reviews this show is getting, both on Broadway and now on tour.

I expect the London shows to be great too, especially with Myles as the lead, the UK fans are gonna get a treat!

I saw this show in Chicago on August 8th! (My apologies for taking forever to post about it; I had surgery the following day.) I loved it so much, and my sister and I are actually planning to see it again twice next year during our summer road trip. (We're going to time the trip so one weekend, it's in Michigan, and the next weekend, it's in Cleveland. It kind of reminds me of people who followed the Grateful Dead on their tours back in the day.)

Something specific that I really loved is how they did kind of a mashup of Tabloid Junkie and Price of Fame. They worked really well together, and I appreciated that they didn't limit themselves to just the well-known songs.

This is a really small detail that some people might find a little goofy, but I also loved that during Thriller (the first time--it's in the show twice and fits into the story in different ways each time) Michael has a cute little werewolf snoot!

A friend of mine who doesn't know much about MJ (not a hater, just doesn't know much) saw it the night after I did, and she said she appreciated how it really gave her a lot of insight into how complicated Michael's life was.

I saw this show in Chicago on August 8th! (My apologies for taking forever to post about it; I had surgery the following day.) I loved it so much, and my sister and I are actually planning to see it again twice next year during our summer road trip. (We're going to time the trip so one weekend, it's in Michigan, and the next weekend, it's in Cleveland. It kind of reminds me of people who followed the Grateful Dead on their tours back in the day.)

Something specific that I really loved is how they did kind of a mashup of Tabloid Junkie and Price of Fame. They worked really well together, and I appreciated that they didn't limit themselves to just the well-known songs.

This is a really small detail that some people might find a little goofy, but I also loved that during Thriller (the first time--it's in the show twice and fits into the story in different ways each time) Michael has a cute little werewolf snoot!

A friend of mine who doesn't know much about MJ (not a hater, just doesn't know much) saw it the night after I did, and she said she appreciated how it really gave her a lot of insight into how complicated Michael's life was.
full house ?

I love seeing the great reviews this show is getting
Are there any reviews of the CD?

I mean, proper, detailed reviews? Either written or in video form? All I can find are quick 5 minute jobs, where some teenage PR dude keeps repeating how blown away he is and how the cast "did an amazing job" again and again.

There seems to be nothing that discusses the actual album, or mentions which are the best and worst singers, etc.

Anybody?

Anyway, what's the consensus on the CD? Have many people here got it? Is the sound quality good? Does it stand up to repeat listening?

I ended up receiving the CD a couple days before its release, listened to it fully and never picked it up again. I enjoy the musical’s interpretations of songs, but the production of the cast album is absolutely horrendous. It’s compressed beyond belief, mixed very poorly and the band doesn’t play exactly the same stuff they do on the show now. There’s also some shoddy editing jobs, as an example if you listen to the drum intro on Billie Jean, you can tell they’ve clipped it from the bridge because you can hear it bleeding in the background.

When you compare how the show sounds on the few YouTube clips they’ve uploaded to how it does on the album, the difference is night and day. The best hope is praying that they recorded a full show and not just promo material and may put that out one day.

Ah, thanks for that. Fair enough. I care about things like editing, and if something is heavily compressed it's literally a deal-breaker for me these days (ie I didn't buy any of the Thriller/Bad anniversary releases, or the recent Jacksons stuff, because they sound offensive, and I will likely never buy another official release from Sony).

I was enthusiastic about this album, but now I'm not so sure.

It sounds like this was made fairly quickly (2 days to record, likely another 2 days to edit). And I'm almost 100% positive they will never release another version of this album, or a live performance, so I guess that's that.

On the other hand, I like that it has unusual stuff like Jam and You Can't Win, and it's just about the only CD to have covers of Keep the Faith and Stranger in Moscow...

I just wanna say when I saw MJ The Musical, it was amazing. I don’t care what anyone says.

So I've just been reading up on the show. Am I right that the album doesn't feature Tabloid Junkie, Shout, Climb Every Mountain and Working Day and Night?

The price of the CD has really come down (£9.40 on Amazon). Is there really nobody with a good word to say about it?

Back