The official Michael Jackson Financial thread

starlight1

Proud Member
Okay, as a fan I've always admired how much of a businessman Michael was but even more how much he was spending.
In this thread I'd like people to contribute with stories, reports, etc... on Michael's financial situation. Some fans are sensitive to the subject so I strongly advice not to participate is you're on of them to avoid unnecessary discussions. Michael was a brilliant businessman and maybe he had some debts or maybe he didn't. Let's discuss the ways he made money next to the music and the way he just spend it like a true lavish king (of course we know he gave a lot of his wealth to charity so we don't need to mention that right now)

One of my favorite moments of all time is that time when he went shopping in Vegas during 'Living with Michael Jackson'.

I'd love to find out how much Michael was spending and stories related to it (I don't care if they aren't justified, I love myself some rumors). Here's two rumors,one is from a very close source at Sony Music so I assume there's some truth to it and the other I just heard.

First one (from the Sony source): MJ would sometimes book two or three studio's or a full year of which some he just visited just once a every couple of months. I know there's some truth to it because my source worked on the Invincible album in New York with a bunch of other talented producers to come up with beats for the album. I've also heard Michael would just rent out full studios and hotel floors (for instance in Vegas) where he would only stay for 1/10 of the time.

Does anyone know if Michael actually bought half of that store in Vegas during LWMJ ?

I actually really disliked that scene. I felt that MJ was flaunting his wealth and I think that kind of thing was beneath him. I expect he probably did it to combat the rumours at the time that he was having financial difficulties and to show the world that he was still as wealthy as ever. But I still felt uncomfortable watching those scenes.

Please stick to the thread, if you felt uncomfortable I suggest that you just avoid this thread. I actually love that Michael was spending that money like the true king he was. Michael always portrayed himself as a royalty and with royalty comes a wealthy, Hollywood lifestyle ching ching...

So no disagreements allowed in this thread? Right, gotcha. :rolleyes:

I am not saying that but at least if you're going to go off topic make a contribution by sharing a story, a rumor or a whatever that is related to MJ's finances
Otherwise the actual subject will go up in smoke...

I actually really disliked that scene. I felt that MJ was flaunting his wealth and I think that kind of thing was beneath him. I expect he probably did it to combat the rumours at the time that he was having financial difficulties and to show the world that he was still as wealthy as ever. But I still felt uncomfortable watching those scenes.

Yeah, that's probably why he did it. However, it backfired really because I've seen people point out how it showed he was careless with his money (which could then further fuel these allegations of financial difficulties).

^^It was a hideous idea and I don't know if it was Michael's or Bashir. I've read in news reports (when his real friends and colleagues were asked about it) more than once that whole scene was strictly for the cameras and was just a show. Fake, fake.

Even when I watched it the first time, not one second rang true with everything I've read or seen from Michael in the past.

Now, if they had shown him buying thousands of books at an antique bookstore, I would have believed that.
And enjoyed it.

That happened more than once-is that the kind of story you're looking for?

Last edited:
Another one of the moments i like to forget about. Michael did himself no favours in this scene, regardless of how he was trying to come across. In the end ge came of reckless looking with stupid amounts of money which in the end backfired due to some of of the financial situations he may have found himself in. Regardless of whether or not this was all just for show, this was one of the more memorable scenes in the documentary for the general public- and the general public remembered when stories of money problems arose!

Does anyone know what happened with Michael and the guys from Dubai? They say Michael received the money and never recorded an album. I personally think that scene in Las Vegas store was not a set up. Mike looked flawless when he did that, especially when he responded with 'that's my taste' when bashir suggested that Mike only bought the most expensive pieces.Loved the scene, very organic, this was Michael in his finest moment spending cash. I think it's funny that some of us don't want to recognize Mike is also human.

Michael made a lot of great investments and decisions, but he also spent money like it was the Thriller days all the time.
He could have lived a very breezy life forever, but the money train wasn't always going to be as big as it was in Thriller days.
I'd imagine post the Dangerous era, the money wasn't as big as it was before (big for MJ that is, a fortune for your average joe).

And yes, his Vegas big in the LWMJ was like "look at me! I'm buying random ugly crap because I can!"

Those zoo animals and amusement rides alone must have been worth a fortune to maintain...

Does anyone know what happened with Michael and the guys from Dubai? They say Michael received the money and never recorded an album.

Loved the scene, very organic, this was Michael in his finest moment spending cash. I think it's funny that some of us don't want to recognize Mike is also human.
I thought the Dubai thing was settled in some kind of court settlement.

I do think of Michael as human and his friends and colleagues from way back have always said Michael only really cared about music, just didn't care about money or material things-wore the same clothes, or gave his clothes away, didn't care about cars, or fancy houses-Hayvenhurst looks like Sleeping Beauty's castle, yes, but Neverland looks like her cottage in the woods-an oversized version, but very peaceful, humble and quiet nestled in the solitary forest.

Michael made a lot of great investments and decisions, but he also spent money like it was the Thriller days all the time.
He could have lived a very breezy life forever, but the money train wasn't always going to be as big as it was in Thriller days.
I'd imagine post the Dangerous era, the money wasn't as big as it was before (big for MJ that is, a fortune for your average joe).

And yes, his Vegas big in the LWMJ was like "look at me! I'm buying random ugly crap because I can!"

Those zoo animals and amusement rides alone must have been worth a fortune to maintain...
If we want to see Michael's FINEST MOMENTS of spending money, I'd go with those bookstores, the building of the movie theatre, zoo and amusement park at Neverland, and buying upteen tons of toys for kids while on tour and sitting up all night checking to see if the batteries work.

Edit to add: for a great example of how the rich are different than you and me, look at Michael surprising his kids with a puppy.
Then look at the movie of Elizabeth surprising Michael with an Elephant! That's rich.

Last edited:
Michael is worth the bling, as no one will ever compare to him. Pisses me off when other's literally count their money in public, what's it gonna get you? fake friends and users/gold diggers.

Back