The Origins of Rock 'n' Roll

@zinniabooklover
well yeah that was fun. It takes me back to my youth when watching tv was actually exciting. Big live shows, comedy , music, sketches and games.
What do we have now: dating shows, cooking and all kinds of reality tv shows featuring everyday people trying to become famous.

@zinniabooklover
well yeah that was fun. It takes me back to my youth when watching tv was actually exciting. Big live shows, comedy , music, sketches and games.
What do we have now: dating shows, cooking and all kinds of reality tv shows featuring everyday people trying to become famous.
It really was. So exciting.

Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu Show going totally off-message. They do Voodoo Chile and then were supposed to play Hey Joe. They start playing the song but then, after a while, Jimi decides he's not into it and starts playing 'Sunshine of Your Love' by Cream. The producer is clearly going mad and trying to get things back on track, the band keep going, so they start rolling the end credits. Jimi laughs and says 'We're being pulled off the air'. History being made before my infant eyes. I saw it, I can still remember it all these years later.

It really was. So exciting.

Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu Show going totally off-message. They do Voodoo Chile and then were supposed to play Hey Joe. They start playing the song but then, after a while, Jimi decides he's not into it and starts playing 'Sunshine of Your Love' by Cream. The producer is clearly going mad and trying to get things back on track, the band keep going, so they start rolling the end credits. Jimi laughs and says 'We're being pulled off the air'. History being made before my infant eyes. I saw it, I can still remember it all these years later.
Nice, video footage available?

PS love Bo Diddley’s distinct sound

Nice, video footage available?
Well, it's a sorry tale. For me, at least.

The actual Lulu Show footage used to be on YT, it was there for yonks. Then a few years ago it disappeared. Then it came back but not in the same way. The footage that you'll find now shows the band, sure, but nothing else. You don't get Lulu introducing the band. You don't get to see the closing credits going up as Jimi is telling us that they are being pulled off air. It's great that the footage is there at all but you lose a lot of the impact. There is a version with a BBC peep talking about it and showing sections of it. He's sort of curating it, I guess, but it's not necessary. Just show us the original footage, fgs!

Anyway, here's a link. You'll get the idea.

PS love Bo Diddley’s distinct sound
I love this clip. I'm watching Buddy Holly clips, atm, but this here Bo Diddley - OMG!!!!!!!!!!! That beat!!! Those maraccas!!!

Also:
Buddy Holly - That'll Be The Day - 1m 20s
and - Peggy Sue - 1m 54s

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley - 1m 54s

That's my kind of song. :D

The Treniers / Rocking On Sunday Night (from the film 'Don't Knock The Rock') / 1956.

2m 49s.

Some of my fave Buddy Holly songs

Another great Bo Diddley track

Fats Domino

Jackie Wilson (Michael covered this on music and me)

Some of my fave Buddy Holly songs
I did a thread for Jerry Allison who died recently. Been posting a few Buddy Holly clips over there. Fab! Every song you posted here I love. He was a cool cat and so important for popular music.

Another great Bo Diddley track
The guitars on this are awesome but, man, I wanna be the guy on the maraccas. I could handle that, lol.

Fats Domino
❤️

Jackie Wilson (Michael covered this on music and me)
His voice. His voice!!!! HIS VOICE!!!!!!!!

Big Maybelle / Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On / 1955 / Produced by Quincy Jones.

2m 41s

Never heard this version before. It's got quite a jazzy feel - no surprise with Quincy producing - but to me it makes sense to put it here.

Back