The Voice Of Axl Rose

Proud Member
I'm big on musical instruments that are anomalies. Something really great that goes beyond explaining.

I think that about Michael Jackson's singing voice. I think that about Axl Rose's singing voice.

How high can his voice go? It's really strong, and very unique even among rock and roll voices. And it's one of those voices that there's no use or bother trying to explain.

Check this out. A perfect showcase of Axl's versatile vocals and how he can switch from clean singing to gritty low screams to gritty high screams, in a split second and switch between them like it's nothing... He has (had, actually) a fantastic range. He could go from singing low and relaxed to doing an insane high pitched scream as fast as you can blink.

Too bad he has such a shitty personality. Axl really is a prick, not so much these days but back in the day he was one of the biggest assholes in the world. God knows where GN'R would've been today, had they stayed in the Appetite or Illusion lineups.

[youtube]pS5SsssJhcg[/youtube]

Yeah. To be honest, I have no respect for Axel Rose at all, I can tell he's utterly jealous of Michael and because of his jealousy he's gonna be added to my list, he's jealous and hated Michael. I can say that Slash is a way better GNR member since he's worked and being friendly with Michael.

^^Slash is a very cool guy, very down to Earth and stuff, unlike Axl who despite being a very talented artist (one of the best actually), was always a little prick...

I respect Axl very much as a musician (the old him at least, not the fat cowboy who goes around screaming like a crow, that is if he shows up at his gigs, pretending to be Axl Rose, that we have these days) but as a person, for everything he's done and said to his fans, to his band mates, the people around the band, to random people on the streets, etc, I have zero respect for him.

As far as most GN'R fans and music listeners are concerned GN'R died in '93, and so did Axl Rose, the artist. The GN'R we have today is nothing more than an Axl wannabe with a bunch of random musicians... very much like a terrible GN'R cover band, with zero resemblance to the old one, the REAL one.

R.I.P. Gun's N Roses (1987-1993)...

I would think Michael Jackson fans of all people wouldn't be so fast to judge a person they don't know based on rumours and hersay.
Axl may not be perfect and has made mistakes in the past, but he's not a prick, asshole etc. He's actually a very misunderstood person, you'd see that if you bothered to look behind the bad reputation he's gotten.

Also where is the proof that Axl is jealous of Michael and hated him? Just back in 2009 (shortly before Michael died if I remember correctly) he sang a little bit of I Want You Back live and there's also a quote from Axl somewhere about how much he liked the Bad album.

Slash is a better GN'R member because he worked with Michael? I guess you missed the interview with Slash where he said he wouldn't let his son sit in MJ's lap (or something to that effect) and he also said that even if Michael was innocent of the allegations he still needed professional help because he was way too close to those boys he'd been spending time with.

Anyways, I'm a huge Guns N' Roses fan and I think Axl has the best voice in rock history ever. His vocal range is out of this world, it's insane. I have seen him live 4 times so I know what I'm talking about. I litterally got chills because his voice was so amazing.
Guns N' Roses still do exist and Izzy and Duff sometimes comes out and plays with them. Slash is the only person from the old GN'R line up Axl doesn't get along with.

Axl is a mastermind.Briliand..Much ''ego'' both Axl and Slash .They destroy Guns N' roses, although now Axl has his own Guns, but they are so good as the old Guns

Axl Rose Denies Being The World’s Greatest Singer
by Dave Lifton May 28, 2014 11:51 AM

A little more than a week after being scientifically named as the “World’s Greatest Singer,” Axl Rose has responded. In humble fashion, he lists a handful of singers that he prefers to himself.

Rose wrote in to Spin to spread the praise around, saying that vocal range is not the only criteria by which a singer should be judged. He begins:

Big thanks to all the fans and media for the props reacting to the Spin top vocalists article.

From what I could tell, the original article was for the most part only talking about the professionally recorded vocal range of the singers they compared calling the entire group “The World’s Greatest Singers.” It’s very flattering and humbling to be included in such an illustrious ensemble.

If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I’d say first that I don’t know there’s a definitive answer as in my opinion it’s subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers.

That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, Dan McCafferty, Janice (sic) Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly 70′s rock singers) and would rather hear ANY of them anytime rather than me!

Peace!

Axl

The site goes on to say that the list has been updated, and that Mike Patton of Faith No More and David Lee Roth have greater vocal ranges than Rose. They were omitted from the original survey, which drew from Rolling Stone’s list of the 100 Greatest Singers and this year’s BMA Awards nominees.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/axl-rose-denies-worlds-greatest-singer/

Axl is a class act for saying that and I'm glad to see he listed Michael among his favorite singers.

By the way, I checked out that list and to be honest it's ridiculous to conclude that whoever has the biggest range is the greatest singer - and that seems to be the thing that list suggests. For example, they cite Eminem or Bob Dylan as having a bigger range than Whitney Houston... but anyone who has ever heard them sing will tell you who the best singer of them is and it sure is not Dylan or Eminem... I suspect they included every inarticulate scream to make some of those artists have a "wide range" but what matters most is the QUALITY of how they use their voice. (And in Michael's case IIRC they used a note in Smooth Criminal as highest which is incorrect as far as I know - he sang higher notes than that. So that list is far from accurate even in terms of range, but even if it got the ranges correct it would not actually mean QUALITY singing in itself just to have a wide range.)

See, I told you all Axl was cool. The fact that he wrote that list of singers he thinks are better than himself shows that he is not an egomaniac like Slash wants the public to believe.

I got super excited when I saw Michael was on Axl's list. I'm so happy that Axl loves and appreciates Michael's music.

Axl's voice isn't the same anymore, but it's a problem for many singers also. He sounds like Mickey Mouse nowadays :p But I don't dislike him or GNR. Axl has written many great songs, and his own voice fits on them. I'm going to see GNR on July.

I've never listened to AxL Rose so I can't judge his voice in particular.

However, I feel as though while a wide vocal range is indeed impressive that what really matters is how that range is used.
You could have a huge vocal range, but if it's used in boring uncreative ways then I couldn't care less about your range.
Michael's creative use of his own rather wide vocal (4 octave) range is a big reason I'm a fan.
Michael had a wide vocal range AND he used it in amazing creative ways.:)

Back