Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

I was ranting, and when finally I try to calm down I see the horrible art job for Thriller 40. I mean, really?

550x550.jpg
yes, no idea what the estate thought of this logo, fortunately they changed that would have been really unworthy of Michael Jackson's legacy

Why would they release Slapstick on a Thriller re-issue? Slapstick is Thriller era just like Niteline and Hot Street, and I don't see any reason why the Estate would associate it with Thriller release. But instead we have Get Outta The Rain and plenty of empty space on the second CD. Isn't that cool though?

I can accept CGOOTR and Sunset Driver if they were just transparent about the reason we didnt get a clear Slapstick.

the estate is still unsure if either Slapstick or Hot Street should be on the next posthumous album. we might get both on one CD, since they have different song titles.

just estate things.

Even the leaked carousel is better than this one.
Leaked > T2001 > T25 > T40 me thinks.

That is so laughable...
So to you, supposed sOuNd qUaLitY goes over a song being complete or near complete???
Or how do I interpret T2001 version being above T25 & T40?
2001 is a Snippet, it's not even half the song, so that's immediately disqualified.

So much crap & trash opinions posted as fact..
People not knowing the difference between basic terms like "mastering", "mixing", "editing".. bunch a clowns!!

That is so laughable...
So to you, supposed sOuNd qUaLitY goes over a song being complete or near complete???
2001 is a Snippet, it's not even half the song, so that's immediately disqualified.

People not knowing the difference between basic terms like "mastering", "mixing", "editing".. bunch a clowns!!
Enlighten me junior.

Michael himself gave Sony that edit of Carousel.. he didn't want it outshining anything on Invincible which came out the following week if i recall.

Surely Behind The Mask made it to Westlake? I'm assuming Quincy is being difficult about releasing his productions

I can't believe it hasn't been uploaded
I don’t think it’s been shipped yet. Mine just got dispatched yesterday.

Some shops got it before hand. But being only 40k copies available there needs to be someone with proper equipment to rip it.

My impressions on the new tracks:

Who Do You Know”:

A really nice and smooth song. Possibly my favorite of the bunch. A really dreamy song which could have had potential if finished. Lovely melody and harmonies. I like the strings and guitar a lot. Instrumentation is sparse but this is hardly shocking considering that it very likely is a home demo. In fact, most of these new tracks are very raw demos which were done at the Encino house studio, something which many people tend to forget.

Behind The Mask (Mike’s Mix)
As much as I like this as a song, my first impression when I heard this version was that it sounded like a fan made version of the demo made by a fan in 2013 using the original instrumental by Yellow Magic Orchestra and the a cappella and posted on YouTube. It doesn’t sound as exciting as the 2010 remix, although I can’t call myself a fan of that version either. The crowd noise is annoying to me. A shame. This song is truly great and could have been a hit.

“The Toy
The only thing somewhat peculiar about this song is how heavy the Linn-drum is. I didn’t expect that. I like it. The structure is somewhat different and is, in fact, interesting this way. I love that bridge! The song is not all that different to the 2008 version vocally. The instrumentation is again very sparse as it is a very raw demo, but it doesn’t bother me. It is inferior to the 08’ version though.

What A Lovely Way To Go
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I really like this. It is, once again, as raw as a demo gets but it sure has potential. The melody is gorgeous in the verses and the choruses. I like where the bridge is going. Really beautiful and experimental. Considering that it was made sometime between 1975-1979 it is not surprising that the arrangement doesn’t sound fuller or more complex. I’m curious to hear the Ronson remix as I think it could be really great.

I’m listening to the second disc in full now, and I cannot believe how bad these songs sound, especially the previously released ones. “Can’t Get Outta the Rain” has this obnoxious high end distortion through the whole track, especially when the vocals kick in. “Carousel” sounds worse than most leaks we’ve gotten over the years. “Sunset Driver” is also pretty dull. It seems like the songs weren’t mixed very well (if at all) to begin with, and mastering couldn’t be bothered to toss a generic EQ on the final tracks.

Like… how? I know Branca and McClain are in charge, but do you know how many people this had to get past to come out? Did nobody say, “Why does this sound like shit?”

I've just come to think, one of the most beautiful jazzy romantic song with beautiful lyrics "The Lady In My Life" remains still unreleased in its full form. How disappointing.

Don't need no fortune or fame........I just want you close to meeeee... why hasn't this full version been officially released!!

So many toxic fans. Always been that way since the beginning. Never happy or satisfied with anything. We could have you know nothing as Michael isn’t here anymore so I’m very happy to enjoy these little gems and enjoy all he gave us when he was alive. It’s a bonus in my eyes.
Absolutely. The non-stop crying and complaining is nauseating
You want to talk about a bad estate...I lived through years of 2Pac posthumous releases where most of the songs weren't even released anywhere close to sounding like the original recordings

That is so laughable...

Grow up 🤦‍♂️

Absolutely. The non-stop crying and complaining is nauseating
You want to talk about a bad estate...I lived through years of 2Pac posthumous releases where most of the songs weren't even released anywhere close to sounding like the original recordings
Of course there will be worse cases than the present one...but this doesn't mean there aren't better ones.

Of course there will be worse cases than the present one...but this doesn't mean there aren't better ones.
This Thriller 40 thing is crap in my opinion.
What a lovely way sounds like a Justin Bieber song,except for the ad libs. It is just as bad as Bieber's "Baby " song. Bieber himself has better songs than this MJ outtake if I think about it tho 💀
Who do you know is not bad but not the best song ever made or a hidden gem at all either.The only great part is the chorus and instrumental,the song writting and melody are basic tho.
Chicago 1945 and Dream Away are real classic Mike jams and better than those two songs. 10/10 for Chicago 1945 and Dream Away,6/10 or 7/10 at most for these 2 new songs on T40 in my opinion.
The Toy is not anything surprising either. The chrous sounds weird,way worse vocals wise than Best of Joy. That "I am forever" hurts my ears.
Best of Joy >>>>>>>>>> The Toy
And his demo of Behind The Mask is great but inferior to any other version of that great track that we've heard by far.
This release is substandard. Crap crap crap crap 🤢🤮

So many toxic fans. Always been that way since the beginning. Never happy or satisfied with anything. We could have you know nothing as Michael isn’t here anymore so I’m very happy to enjoy these little gems and enjoy all he gave us when he was alive. It’s a bonus in my eyes.
If Michael's Estate would be fully in the hands of his children and they would bring out a new album where we only hear different MJ sneezes, I would be grateful and happy and throw money at them

Gave it a quick listen, Got the Hots sounds as bad as it did on T25, Carousel sounds worse than the leaked version, the latter sounds pretty good and has good dynamic range.
i dont know, i guess She`s Trouble and Who Do You Know has the best sound.

Back