Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

Are we sure that’s the case? The majority of the vocals on this demo are the exact same, or eerily similar, to the 2010 mix. Even when they’re not, using alternate vocal takes doesn’t mean that a finished version exists. Remember, the original demo of “Do You Know Where Your Children Are” is slightly different vocally compared to the Timbaland or leaked version.

Seems like a conspiracy theory.
Well, I am sure that's the case as these lyrics:

"I try to find the truth but that's your hiding place
You say you love me but it's hard to see
'Cause when he's in your arms
Your throwing rocks at me"

... are nowhere in the released demo.

That's the entire verse with fleshed out lyrics. But instead they decided to use some random lyrics. It's obviously older demo with more scratch vocals. I agree that some or majority of the vocals sound the same or eerily similar, but the fact is that a more complete demo exists, but they decided not to release it.

I don't know about the whistle but it is very curious and I wanna know the story behind it. I heard it immediately and a few hours later I remember it was in SIM.

Well, I am sure that's the case as these lyrics:

"I try to find the truth but that's your hiding place
You say you love me but it's hard to see
'Cause when he's in your arms
Your throwing rocks at me"

... are nowhere in the released demo.

That's the entire verse with fleshed out lyrics. But instead they decided to use some random lyrics. It's obviously older demo with more scratch vocals. I agree that some or majority of the vocals sound the same or eerily similar, but the fact is that a more complete demo exists, but they decided not to release it.
Yep, i don't understand the decision honestly, i mean... it's not like they were gonna use it for anything else, they already remixed it for Michael in 2010 god damn it lol
And one can argue "Well, maybe the more finished version is from a period AFTER the Thriller sessions so maybe that's why they didn't include it?" but they literally included What A Lovely Way To Go which is most likely from Off The Wall lol

Are we sure that’s the case? The majority of the vocals on this demo are the exact same, or eerily similar, to the 2010 mix. Even when they’re not, using alternate vocal takes doesn’t mean that a finished version exists. Remember, the original demo of “Do You Know Where Your Children Are” is slightly different vocally compared to the Timbaland or leaked version.

Seems like a conspiracy theory.
Nope. OG version of dykwyca is the 1985 Encino recording. The song was rerecorded in 1989 - the vox for both remixes are sourced from the latter recording.

Nope. OG version of dykwyca is the 1985 Encino recording. The song was rerecorded in 1989 - the vox for both remixes are sourced from the latter recording.
Source? I never heard of 1989 version.

This definitely isn’t true. The vocals are the exact same across every version of the song, with the exception of the final line in the third verse (“She’s only twelve years old”), which is a different take on the original demo.

Yep, i don't understand the decision honestly, i mean... it's not like they were gonna use it for anything else, they already remixed it for Michael in 2010 god damn it lol
And one can argue "Well, maybe the more finished version is from a period AFTER the Thriller sessions so maybe that's why they didn't include it?" but they literally included What A Lovely Way To Go which is most likely from Off The Wall lol
Well, assuming “What a Lovely Way to Go” was indeed revisited for Thriller, I’d say it qualifies as an outtake/reject. That’s definitely different than using a song or vocal that was recorded after the album had already been released (assuming that’s the case with “Behind the Mask”).

I hate these decisions. Now I have a new obsession and that is wanting to listen to behind the mask in its (more) finished state. I expected it to be on this album!
This release only fulfilled 1 obsession lol
I wanted the extended version of carousel - didn’t get that
I wanted behind the mask, nite line, hot street and she’s trouble finished versions - and we only got one of those

No I really didn't want that lol.
I may be immature for this but making Justin Bieber jokes is a habit for me,I didn't want anybody to crack up at it tho oop
Well nowadays people make Meg The Stallion or Cardi B references, that's all I'm saying. Gotta refresh those jokes, keep them cutting edge lol..unlike today's music

I mean, the leaked version is still here.
This is what makes this crap release even more odd. I have the full length of that song so why on earth is it not on thier so called precious 40

Dude, if you knew how many times they'd release alternate versions of the same Jimi Hendrix songs.

We're just getting started in the phase of different versions of songs being released.

Y
Well, assuming “What a Lovely Way to Go” was indeed revisited for Thriller, I’d say it qualifies as an outtake/reject. That’s definitely different than using a song or vocal that was recorded after the album had already been released (assuming that’s the case with “Behind the Mask”).
Yeah, anything post OTW, pre Thriller, fair game. As soon as the album is released it's not a Thriller outtake.

But the fact the estate puts something out, just for the sake of putting something out, rather than take the time to make it special and worthwhile is what's frustrating.

To many, myself included, it seems more time and effort was put into past releases. For this one, they just selected a handful of stuff, didn't do much to it, and at the same time, not bothering to promote said project. At least they gave a shit for Bad25 and Xscape.

Why celebrate mediocrity?
Nah trust me I’m with you. I think this whole roll out and everything has just been downright awful, but I’m not celebrating the fact that they released something, but more so the fact that i get to hear new MJ material again after so long. At the end of the day we got a few new unheard songs and that in itself is something to be happy about, hearing MJ’s voice again and listening to our favorite artist.

With that being said, I cannot fathom, I can’t fathom how badly they messed this up.

I don’t like this line of thinking. If that’s the case then HIStory 30th should include every outtake from Thriller, Bad and Dangerous because MJ almost always revisited old songs whenever he was working on a new album.

I know the lines gets murky here but a line must be drawn.

I don’t like this line of thinking. If that’s the case then HIStory 30th should include every outtake from Thriller, Bad and Dangerous because MJ almost always revisited old songs whenever he was working on a new album.

I know the lines gets murky here but a line must be drawn.
Yeah I think so too. Only songs that have actually really been considered for inclusion count imo
She's trouble, nite line, carousel, got the hots, hot street, sunset driver (and maybe behind the mask as I suspect a better version to be out there) count for thriller. They actually sound finished so they had a lot of work and care which can only mean they were high priority at the time.
Who knows maybe there are a couple more that we don't know of yet.

Long time fan here. I actually was a member back when Hold My Hand leaked being a huge Akon fan at the time but there's no chance I can remember my login from back then lol

Just for the record, I had heard all the leaked tracks before except She's Trouble and the new ones of course. I just feel like anyone complaining about old tracks being on here think about it this way; these tracks now have a proper home. Not on some random youtube channels, or some obscure copy of a compilation only available in Japan or Italy. These now have a proper physical and digital home that'll make it easier for fans to enjoy them now and new fans to discover easier 10, 20, 40 years down the line.

The only one truly worth the complaints is Carousel with that terrible quality and that shorter length too. It's not even labeled a demo so you'd think it would be a final version of it ffs. Aside from that everything else is pretty damn good. I mean they are labelled as demos at the end of the day. You look at a track like Behind The Mask that's clearly a home demo and I'm sure left like that on purpose.

Anyways, chances are they'll open the floodgates and release what's ever left from the Thriller-era for Thriller 50, no doubt there will be one. Maybe a couple completely finished tracks Thriller-era like Hot Street will find their way on another studio album before then.

If Hot Street was on here, we'd probably just be complaining about the quality of it now. They need SACD quality for every release they do from now on. And all of MJs albums as well. Maybe even rerelease T40 with Disc 2, and Bad 25. Just do the most to ensure good audio quality.

Back