Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

Nope. OG version of dykwyca is the 1985 Encino recording. The song was rerecorded in 1989 - the vox for both remixes are sourced from the latter recording.
This definitely isn’t true. The vocals are the exact same across every version of the song, with the exception of the final line in the third verse (“She’s only twelve years old”), which is a different take on the original demo.

So the released DYKWYCA vocal is it from the Bad or Dangerous sessions.. we talked about this a week ago or so.. some sources - books! state it as recorded during Dangerous.. 1989 would be Dangerous.. but 85 would be Bad. which is it?

I've listened to the leaked/demo version of She's Trouble, because it was the only thing i had for so long, i used to love it... now after hearing the finished version, wow, i don't even know what to think anymore lol
crazy how much i enjoyed the original demo... man i'm so happy She's Trouble got included in T40.

I really have to jump on this: I hate the misconception most people have about vinyl that it sounds dirty, noisy, full of clicks and pops. If you're playing a beat up record, maybe yes, but that is not the standard, at all. Vinyl records in good shape murder any CD counterparts 90% of the time.
Off - topic but you've *really* got me thinking about vinyl. How beautiful it is as a physical entity. You don't get that with CD's. There was something exquisite about a brand new piece of vinyl. Just the sheen alone. And the grooves. And the weight. Which isn't the same nowadays. The one vinyl album I do have is, apparently, 'heavyweight'. Well, it feels awfully light to me compared to my original albums. But, anyway, feeling very nostalgic for the good things about vinyl.

As you were! Back to T40. :D

Good, i don't think anyone here wants someone like Chris Brown doing MJ related stuff... right?
Honestly I wouldn't mind it, he's not a bad singer/dancer and his Fine China video clip is proof of it. Besides it's better to have someone who met MJ and was inspired by him than to have some random modern day artist who had nothing to do with MJ do the performance.

So the released DYKWYCA vocal is it from the Bad or Dangerous sessions.. we talked about this a week ago or so.. some sources - books! state it as recorded during Dangerous.. 1989 would be Dangerous.. but 85 would be Bad. which is it?
It’s from the BAD sessions—May ‘86.
Maybe the estate said they don’t want promo
Playing devil’s advocate, but I’m gonna point the finger at the AMAs directly since it seems like Chris’s entire performance was canceled. He was supposed to do 1-2 originals as well. I don’t want Chris Brown anywhere near MJ, but he’s an A-list celebrity and the promo would’ve been great.

Honestly I wouldn't mind it, he's not a bad singer/dancer and his Fine China video clip is proof of it. Besides it's better to have someone who met MJ and was inspired by him than to have some random modern day artist do the performance.
Yeah that isn't the problem here, not the one i have with him, at least. but hey everyone has their own opinion lmao

It’s from the BAD sessions—May ‘86.

Playing devil’s advocate, but I’m gonna point the finger at the AMAs directly since it seems like Chris’s entire performance was canceled. He was supposed to do 1-2 originals as well. I don’t want Chris Brown anywhere near MJ, but he’s an A-list celebrity and the promo would’ve been great.
It doesn't change the fact that I want to see michael thriller perform at wma 2006 was very disappointed that Chris did it

You know, if they renamed Best of Joy to 'I am Forever' then 'The Toy' could easily be 'I am Forever' (Demo). That's one way to solve the discrepancy.

Also, I recommend everyone here to listen to "The Toy", pitch shifted up 1. It is tear causing in it's beauty.

You know, if they renamed Best of Joy to 'I am Forever' then 'The Toy' could easily be 'I am Forever' (Demo). That's one way to solve the discrepancy.

Also, I recommend everyone here to listen to "The Toy", pitch shifted up 1. It is tear causing in it's beauty.

What discrepancy? lol.

What discrepancy? lol.
Someone talking about all the songs being labeled "demo" versus not

Like, is Starlight a demo, and if so, why not the demo to Thriller? Idk really, but I really just wanted to plug renaming the song I Am Forever lol.

Ngl, can't get excited by the idea of T50. Will I even still be here, lol. I just want lovely box sets, anthologies which include everything. I want it and I want it now, lol. But that's not happening, I guess. Sigh.
One giant anthology set like that ultimate collection thing would be amazing but even still If it's just a couple new MJ songs a year on average I'd take that too. It seems like the Estate/Sony are just going to milk that vault for everything they can. Hopefully it's not another 8 years till the next release, I don't think it will be.

Well, can't they get another person or people to do a tribute for MJ?
They totally should. Hopefully not an MJ wannabe though like Chris Brown, Usher, or Timberlake. I know Celine Dion and Lady Gaga love MJ, Celine even recorded with him.

They totally should. Hopefully not an MJ wannabe though like Chris Brown, Usher, or Timberlake. I know Celine Dion and Lady Gaga love MJ, Celine even recorded with him.
Questlove, Beyonce, Bruno Mars etc. Or maybe even Janet or 3T?

If Hot Street was on here, we'd probably just be complaining about the quality of it now. They need SACD quality for every release they do from now on. And all of MJs albums as well. Maybe even rerelease T40 with Disc 2, and Bad 25. Just do the most to ensure good audio quality.
You can have good quality on a standard Redbook Audio CD though, these are just awful destructive mastering choices. An SACD won't fix it.

I'd love it someone outside the pop world would give tribute in his/her own way. Imagine Metallica turning the lady in my life into a hard rock ballad for example lol
It's a better way to get attention and it widens the audience. Plus it would just be cool to see what they do with the material.
BUT they probably don't give a F*** about MJ's music lol

Back