Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

You Are My Life is the worst song. it sounds like a nursery rhyme to me. if he recorded it for the children fine but it should have been a song they could pull out and listen to - not take up space on Invincible. lol.
Girlfriend says hi.
Just play this
It sounds slightly better than the official version but the chorus still sounds loud and annoying. 😬

I think it's specifically just the complaining that an old unfinished demo sounds old and unfinished that bothers me haha. Like did people expect it to sound like it came out today or something lol.
Yeah, that always boggled my mind. That and anyone who says, “It’s not as good as ‘Billie Jean’ or ‘Thriller’.” No duh.

I think it's old in the way that it doesn't sound like it's from the 80's. I refuse to believe that this song was made for Thriller and not specifically made for Off The Wall as the whole song screams "70's" lol.

I think it's old in the way that it doesn't sound like it's from the 80's. I refuse to believe that this song was made for Thriller and not specifically made for Off The Wall as the whole song screams "70's" lol.
Well, it took a minute for Thriller to become the album it ended up as. A song like WALWTG was definitely early in the process, but it's not hard to believe it was meant for whatever the follow up to Off The Wall was gonna be. Triumph was in fact the true stepping stone to Thriller.

Well, it took a minute for Thriller to become the album it ended up as. A song like WALWTG was definitely early in the process, but it's not hard to believe it was meant for whatever the follow up to Off The Wall was gonna be. Triumph was in fact the true stepping stone to Thriller.
I guess. I just don't believe the backstories they gave because they lied about The Toy being made for Thriller even though the song was shelved especifically BECAUSE of the album. They could've also lied about anything else.

You are my life is one of the better songs on Invincible for me. Maybe a bit saccharine, or cheesy for some but it is a typical MJ song, you don't HAVE to like it but you can't deny it is a typical later era MJ ballad... I like it better than most of his post dangerous uptempo tracks.
What sets this apart is the clear production, we can hear every instrument, MJ sings clear and not distorted and the melody and lyrics work for me. It is top 5 on Invincible no doubt.

Shout is everything I dislike about later era MJ, I don't understand what he is rambling about lol. I like the outro though

Last edited:
I guess. I just don't believe the backstories they gave because they lied about The Toy being made for Thriller even though the song was shelved especifically BECAUSE of the album. They could've also lied about anything else.
Yeah, The Toy is more akin to Someone in the Dark or something. It's not an outtake, but it does belong in my opinion. I pretty much don't listen to any of the MJ backstories concocted. I literally just made a thread about the Paul Anka songs, I have a hard time getting over some of these dates and figures the MJ camp come up with.

Last edited:
You Are My Life is the worst song. it sounds like a nursery rhyme to me. if he recorded it for the children fine but it should have been a song they could pull out and listen to - not take up space on Invincible. lol.
Shout is the worst. I can't understand why the hell MJ even bothered recording that crap, let alone releasing it.

It is an abysmal composition with the most immature and cringe of choruses ever created. Can't believe MJ,who always got killer choruses,composed trash like that.
Tho this mix sounds great during the verses,way better than the actual song for sure.
I also agree,the instrumental for Lovely Way (the one on the actual song) is beyond ridiculous.
I never thought I would hate anything Mike did musically but the chorus for Lovely Way is beyond subpar. And the lycris don't make any sense it's just no....worst song created before 1990 period. I mean it
Cringe? Immature? Trash?…. Hyperbolic much?? This was a VERY rough demo to the point Michael used practically all beatboxing (aside from piano) as the instrumentation and is clearly making up words on the spot to work out vocal melodies and, biggest of all….. IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE HEARD! So you’re going to sit there and hurl unwarranted insults at a composition that Michael himself never liked enough to release, when instead we should just feel lucky enough to have heard a moment captured in time of a genius creating in the moment!

I for one applaud Michael for trying something new and stepping outside of his comfort zone to try a composition like this. It’s catchy and interesting. Is it my favorite? No. However I’m glad I got to hear it and I’m not saying you have to like it, but you also don’t need to disrespect it. For instance, I didn’t love Chicago 1945, but I thought it was decent and I’m so glad I was able to hear it. If you want to judge Michael’s released works harshly then by all means, DO IT! I for one, HATTTTTTEEEEE Invincible (the album) with a passion.

I'll never get MJ's creative process for recording songs like GYWOOM, TLC and Privacy from the get go while leaving gems like POTW and Hollywood Tonight unfinished for years lol.

I'll never get MJ's creative process for recording songs like GYWOOM, TLC and Privacy from the get go while leaving gems like POTW and Hollywood Tonight unfinished for years lol.
People of the World was never gonna be finished. He gave it to J-Friends and they sang it.

Shout is the worst. I can't understand why the hell MJ even bothered recording that crap, let alone releasing it.
It's lyrics are meaningful and it has high energy. It's experimental and it certainly grabs your attention.

Again, Privacy is right there. That song is so mediocre, they even pretended Slash was on the song to make it more exciting.

Invincible is my favorite MJ album man, don't be so harsh on it 😞
I made a point on Reddit that Invincible is 10 years removed from Dangerous but it's not nearly as radically different as, compared to the 9 years between Thriller and  Dangerous. Trends were no longer radically changing. Not exactly relevant but a sidepoint.

People of the World was never gonna be finished. He gave it to J-Friends and they sang it.
Oh yeah thanks for the reminder, but the same can still be applied to a lot of songs. GOAL, Beautiful Girl, In The Back, TYLA, Days In Gloucestershire, Adore You, Shut Up And Dance, etc. I can go on all day lol.

Oh yeah thanks for the reminder, but the same can still be applied to a lot of songs. GOAL, Beautiful Girl, In The Back, TYLA, Days In Gloucestershire, Adore You, Shut Up And Dance, etc. I can go on all day lol.
True, but those were all songs he intended to finish for himself lol. So I make no excuses, I really wish he hadn't procrastinated so.

MJ wanting each album to sound different and edgy is so pop. He should just have made the music he wanted to make, forget charts and sales!

That is something I appreciate in folk singers or singer songwriters, they do whatever they want to do, if it sounds outdated by 50 years then so be it

MJ wanting each album to sound different and edgy is so pop. He should just have made the music he wanted to make, forget charts and sales!

That is something I appreciate in folk singers or singer songwriters, they do whatever they want to do, if it sounds outdated by 50 years then so be it
I'm glad he released what he releasead.
Innovation is better for me lol

Back