Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

did you know that ‘nightline’ was eventually given to the pointer sisters? I think it suits them.
they were also featured on ‘we are the world’. it was speculated that their song ‘he’s so shy’ was about Michael.
here he is singing their song ‘automatic’ backstage at the Grammys in ‘84 with Emmanuel Lewis
i made this remix 2 weeks ago actually lmao

50.000 - forget about it...

I can't believe anyone could believe that?? It takes time recording a song. Days, weeks, months. If it just took 5 days for each song it would be 250.000 days to do so. MJ started recording when he was what - 6 years old?

During difficult times in his life he did not record much... doubt he was much in the studio 2004-2005 fx...

Even 1000 songs is very high... That would include demoes and scratch ideas etc. IMO.

Well, first start with facts and then one can calculate an estimate. So how many songs did he record and release including J5 and The Jacksons as well as Collabs?

Entertainer Michael Jackson reportedly recorded 275 songs a day working on Bad, sources claim.

It would seem the claim is true, as I've just made it up and it was also cited by Ian Halperin, and Randy Taraborelli, esteemed journalistic pillars.

Oh.. thought it was a post like Frenzy challenge ;)

I admit to being a little underwhelmed by the bonus disc. 1. Because I've heard most of this and the sound quality is only marginally better 2. Where is "Hot Street"? 3. Not a big fan of demos. I prefer what they did with "Xscape". You get the demos but then fully fleshed out tracks.

BUT that being said I'm grateful to still be hearing "new" MJ material.

my MOFI Ultradisc arrived late last night and just finished listening to it. This audiophile vinyl release is in total honesty probably overkill for most people but I'm quite impressed. Very clean, very open. A touch on the bright side, at least to my ears (I think I prefer my Thriller and all vinyl in general a bit more warm and bass heavy), but genuinely an impressive pressing. I've got so many at this point it's tough to know which is my favourite, but I'd say this is certainly up there with my US/UK first pressings (though obviously the mix is *slightly* different) and the Japanese Master Sound which I own. I'd have to A/B them and see if I could tell the difference, and I honestly doubt I could.

Should you shell out $100 for it? Maybe. If you don't own any other copy, and want to only buy one, you'd be hard pressed to do better than this (except maybe a mint condition first pressing) but that $100 is a lot. You'd also defintiely want to play this back on a proper system; do not spend $100 on an audiophile LP to play it back on one of those awful Crosley all-in-one turntables you picked up for $50 at Urban Outfitters.

This was not really the case.

Many of his weakest songs had 1 producer, or 2 co-producers.

For example:

- 'D.S.'
- 'She Drives Me Wild'
- 'I Can't Help It'
- 'Just Good Friends'
- 'Get On The Floor'
- 'Can't Let Her Get Away'
- 'Childhood'
- 'Girlfriend'

The songwriting aspect of a song (melody, rhythm, groove, hook, bridge, etc) determines if a certain song would become strong or weak, and not how many people produced it.
You completely misinterpreted what I said. No where did I say there were too many producers for songs. I was talking about the album as a whole. For the 1st 4 albums, he had 3 or 4 people (himself included) tops to arranging an entire album. With HIStory and especially Invincible, it's like he had a football team working on the album.

Less is more. When he brought Rodney into the fold for Invincible, and he started shooting his mouth off to the press about how good his stuff was for Michael, that's when I knew early on shit was gonna hit the fan (and not in a good way). By that time, Michael stopped making trends, and just followed it.

Really? From the finished Thriller outtakes (Hot Street, Carousel, She's Trouble and Nightline), I consider Nightline the weakest.
Na, Niteline has a great groove to it. It's a quintessential MJ early 80s track.

For me personally, I'd rank the 4 Thriller outtakes

1. Hot Street
  2. Niteline
  3. Carousel
  4. She's Trouble

Na, Niteline has a great groove to it. It's a quintessential MJ early 80s track.

For me personally, I'd rank the 4 Thriller outtakes

1. Hot Street
  2. Niteline
  3. Carousel
  4. She's Trouble
For me it is: Hot Street, Carousel, She's Trouble and Nightline.

That’s cause Korg has always been a greedy opportunist 🤷🏻‍♂️ He always wants to show off and say “Hey look what I have… but I’m not going to share it unless it’s like a quick little snippet in one of my half assed remixes.”
Wow, you wanna fight? You wanna be Startin Somethin

Man this Behind The Mask demo still just got me wanting to hear the finished version. I was always under the impression it was 100% going to make the album it just didn't because of sample clearance/royalties. So there must be a complete one out there. Hopefully we get to hear it one day.

Back