Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

Ok, got the memo. ;)

I'm switching to estate-twitter-mode:
(imagine a gif art with a Microsoft paint like scripture of the song title above my post)

To me THIS SONG is the "diamond in the ruff" from the Thriller40 release.
I understand why most like "Who Do Know" better & I agree that it is more pleasing to the ear, especially on first few listenings.
BUT: THIS SONG is special. It is showing another facet of MJ. A whole other style & like always when he dips into different styles & genres, MJ makes it his own & makes it more enjoyable for me. More than any other artist ever could.
THIS SONG to me is so completely different than all of his other songs & material we got over the years, it's a total treasure.

What makes THIS SONG difficult to access is the bare bones state of the demo. And how they mixed & arranged the different tracks they had. There's an abruptness to start & end the song & even between verse & chorus. That's what's a little off-putting. But even with those shortcomings of the Thriller40 album mix, i totally fell in love with THIS SONG.

Having said that, @ChanceToDance I would recommend you to the "Multiverse Mix" of THIS SONG, which hides above mentioned shortcomings. It's supposedly close to the version of Mark Ronson, which he did for the MICHAEL album. It provides more instrumentation, which gives the song a red line to follow through from beginning to end. It gives it a feeling of breezy effortlessness, & everything seems to be coming together in a more neat, tidy & refined way.

Have fun with that true diamond of an MJ song.

By the way I immediately sorted THIS SONG within my 'Off The Wall/early - Era' outtakes album. There it fits perfectly and is one of the nicest additions. Along with 'Sunset Driver' & 'CGOTR'.

I hope this is posted in the right thread. this relates to the songs on the original album.

I had no idea that the ‘chipmunk’ voices on ‘p.y.t (pretty young thing) were Michael’s own vocals after all. I guess his sisters (Janet and Latoya) only sang the response during the breakdown?

This isn't exactly true.

Bad 25 for example...I have a digital edition, CD and an itunes edition and all three are mastered differently from each other... iTunes being the best of the three. Apple have their own mastering engineers so when you see Apple Digital Master on their listing it's done in house.
Tell me more about the iTunes rendition?

Tell me more about the iTunes rendition?

The iTunes version of Bad 25 is mastered better than the cd edition I own. For the most part their apple digital masters are done differently.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for Thriller 40. It still chaps my ass they used Brian Gardner's mastering job for the bonus tracks on it. It's pretty bad.

The iTunes version of Bad 25 is mastered better than the cd edition I own. For the most part their apple digital masters are done differently.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for Thriller 40. It still chaps my ass they used Brian Gardner's mastering job for the bonus tracks on it. It's pretty bad.
So does streetwalker sound better than it did in 2001 then?

What about Xscape, I hear good things about that.

How does the Thriller SACD compare to the remastered Thriller tracks on HIStory Begins?
No offense here btw, i'm just shocked this is even a question

But, bro what? HIStory Begins remasters are terrible
Specially when compared to stuff like the Thriller SACDs (plural, because both are the best versions of Thriller on digital.)

No offense here btw, i'm just shocked this is even a question

But, bro what? HIStory Begins remasters are terrible
Specially when compared to stuff like the Thriller SACDs (plural, because both are the best versions of Thriller on digital.)
I always liked the HIStory remasters. I know lots of people that swore by them.

The Thriller SACDs do seem quite a step above though. The Japanese Pressing certainly is pristine, just too low for my liking.

If the songs Hot street and nite line had been added, 2 cd would have been perfect

Thriller 40 is imo at best just a medicore release compiled with zero to none effort. Sonically it's a total disaster.
It's like the exact same thing as Bad 25, but without Pitbull. If the audio quality wasn't bad I doubt it'd hated so much. And if they replaced Can't Get Out of the Rain with The Girl is Mine (Demo).

Hot Street is so good, it should've made Thriller in 1982
But the quality of Behind the Mask on Thriller 40 is horrible
Hot Street is so good it deserves a proper radio play. There's no way they can just downplay it on a basic Thriller Anniversary thing. It needs like a true release, with no (significant) changes, only a proper remaster. And a music video of 4K Victory tour footage would be gas too.

I wonder if Hot Street was one of those songs that Michael was planning to release as a single while he doing the London shows.

It's been confirmed MJ and Rod have met for a brief time in late 2008. By the end of 2008 Rod has registered HS with the USCO.

I wonder if Hot Street was one of those songs that Michael was planning to release as a single while he doing the London shows.

It's been confirmed MJ and Rod have met for a brief time in late 2008. By the end of 2008 Rod has registered HS with the USCO.
I don’t know about that. But according to Charles Thomson on the MJCast, Michael had written some notes shortly before his death that he wanted to work with Rod Temperton on new music.

Hot Street is so good, it should've made Thriller in 1982
But the quality of Behind the Mask on Thriller 40 is horrible

Hot Street would've worked on Starlight but not Thriller...That wouldn't have stood a chance against any of the songs on Thriller.

Hot Street should've been at least a b-side.

a b-side for sure or something for a movie soundtrack.....can't imagine playing Beat It and then Hot Street comes in after.....would've totally ruined the mood of the album

Back