Thriller 40th Anniversary

Where is bj 4k?...2k?
I can give you JB with his best selling album in 2k, 4k.

John-with-100-million-Thriller-award-2-scaled.jpg

Heard the Dolby Atmos mix of Thriller album on Apple music. It's a great mix, with lovely sound mixing on the atmos version.

Is there any way of getting this without having an Apple Music subscription? I use Spotify and didn't fancy paying for both services. Currently using the Apple Music trial which I probably won't extend as I prefer Spotify.
Dolby Atmos is currently available only via Apple Music with certain outputs.

E.g. I can run it fine on my Airpods 3, but I can't run it via Airplay 2 on my soundbar. I'd need to log in to my smart tv, access Apple Music app (if available) and have the soundbar (one that supports Dolby Atmos) connected to it via a HDMI/eARC port.

So I doubt you'd do much even if you find a way to download it.

don't bother, check the Queen Annyversary release that also dropped today, it's fantastic!

hahahaha kai du bist der beste u forgot a picture of John Branca

I can give you JB with his best selling album in 2k, 4k.

John-with-100-million-Thriller-award-2-scaled.jpg
John Branca is the greatest entertainer the world has ever seen.

He penned classic hits such as Billie Jean, Beat it, BAD, Smooth Criminal, Earth Song and Blues Away 👀

His singing and dancing abilities are unmatched and his performances all around the world are simply legendary.

All hail the King of Pop John Branca.

So at a quick first listen and compare of the regular Thriller on Tidal premium, I compared Baby Be Mine fairly quickly and it looks like while loud, Thriller 40 visually has better dynamics. I wish they would have brightened Michael's BG's in WBSS 2008. Still my favorite remix from Thriller25 and one I listen to regularly and consider MJ canon.

I got Qobuz 16 bit and 24 bit versions. Compared Wanna Be Starin' Somethin' and Baby Be Mine. It uses the 2008 mastering. Which is not a good one... (correction: waveforms seems slightly better in Thriller 40 than 2008, but sound very similar to me.)

Last edited:
I hate to moan but I think this disc 2 cheapens Thriller - some of the songs are of a very poor standard.

They should have used genuine Thriller outtakes. Hot Street, Niteline and whatever else was considered at the time even if there was just 3 or 4 tracks, the song quality would have been better.

Fair enough Carousel/ she's trouble and BTM is there, that should have been it along with the ones I mentioned.

CGOTR and Sunset Driver (although good track) has no right to be on Thriller.

According to something I just read, Quincy Jones' disagreement with the Estate prevent those tracks from being used.
But isn't "She's Trouble" coming from the same group of songs including HS and NL?

I simply think Hot Street and Niteline will be kept for future projects. T50 and another new album.

I got Qobuz 16 bit and 24 bit versions. Compared Wanna Be Starin' Somethin' and Baby Be Mine. It uses the 2008 mastering. Which is not a good one... (correction: waveforms seems slightly better in Thriller 40 than 2008, but sound very similar to me.)
It's 2014 remaster, not 2008

why is this John Pranka 24/7 posing in front of a thriller poster?
does he think he's the mastermind behind this?

why is this John Pranka 24/7 posing in front of a thriller poster?
does he think he's the mastermind behind this?
I think that is a bit disrespectful towards The King of Pop, John Branca.

Especially considering he sung everything and wrote half the tracks on Thriller plus performed the moonwalk for the very first time at Motown25 during this period.

His vision for the Thriller video also cemented his place as a Pop Icon.

I came to the conclusion that all these anniversaries and special editions devalue the original 1982 product. Most of the added tracks don’t belong there because they are unfinished. There was a core of 5 or 6 (hotstreet, nite line, she’s trouble, carousel, got the hots) extra completed tracks that were in contention for the album in 1982. Those are basically all that was needed on disc 2 plus the extended versions of the already existing tracks on disc 1.

demos don’t belong on a sonically and musically perfect classic albums because they are incomplete. They belong in boxsets.

It's 2014 remaster, not 2008

Thanks, I had already read you mentionned that on this forum... but when I listened to it, without comparing the wave forms, I head the same thing between 2008 and 2014. (Also, I'm talking about the Qobuz version precisely and I know that sometimes they can switch files/masters...)

Thanks, I had already read you mentionned that on this forum... but when I listened to it, without comparing the wave forms, I head the same thing between 2008 and 2014. (Also, I'm talking about the Qobuz version precisely and I know that sometimes they can switch files/masters...)
Any idea about the Apple Music master? (the one mixed in Dolby Atmos) obligatory @NeoGardiV8 tag as well

It's not really odd. Reading a lot of negative comments can drag down the mood. I think this thread is a good idea. It's not like we can only create 10 threads a day, and we have to carefully choose the topics for them.
I will defend MJ('s Thriller) tooth and nail when someone outside the fanbase criticize it without knowing what they're speaking about. But within the fan base we must be more demanding as far as professionalism is concerned towards the Estate. We must be able to criticize half-baked projects. It's not about dragging down the mood. It's about saying "All right, you released this and that, good, but some relevant things remain unreleased. Where are they? Scheduled for Thriller 50 to milk us more?"

Last edited:
Back