Thriller 40th Anniversary

Unpopular opinion, but some of those changes were justified lol. I've actually never watched the "demastered" original versions though. I think George made sure the masters got hidden somewhere because only the special editions are remastered on Bluray.

Holding out hope that they are just taking their time re editing BJ from scratch. If they really cant find BJ masters then that is really disappointing. Its also odd MJ didnt use the master in moonwalker.
It isn't necessarily the changes themselves or whether or not they were justified that most fans have taken issue with, It is the total unavailability and deliberate suppression of the original cuts in any reasonable, modern standard of quality. People just want to be able to see what they originally saw upon release in the same quality that any other film is afforded on home video. Films like Blade Runner and Close Encounters of the Third Kind have multi disc box sets containing their respective films in all available iterations that had ever been released. That's what people want for Star Wars. Every few years George would add even more crap into his movies and then that would become the defacto version from then on, it didn't stop with just the first Special Editions.

I wouldn't worry about Billie Jean. I can't imagine that they wouldn't try to stay as faithful as possible to the original edit of the video.

Last edited:
It isn't necessarily the changes themselves or whether or not they were justified that most fans have taken issue with, It is the total unavailability and deliberate suppression of the original cuts in any reasonable, modern standard of quality. People just want to be able to see what they originally saw upon release in the same quality that any other film is afforded on home video. Films like Blade Runner and Close Encounters of the Third Kind have multi disc box sets containing their respective films in all available iterations that had ever been released. That's what people want for Star Wars. Every few years George would add even more crap into his movies and then that would become the defacto version from then on, it didn't stop with just the first Special Editions.

I wouldn't worry about Billie Jean. I can't imagine that they wouldn't try to stay as faithful as possible to the original edit of the video.
I could go completely off topic with my love/hate relationship with star wars but I wont for the mods sake haha. As far as I know you can only get the original cut on DVD released in 2004.

I just hope they actually have the Billie Jean film to remaster.

I could go completely off topic with my love/hate relationship with star wars but I wont for the mods sake haha. As far as I know you can only get the original cut on DVD released in 2004.

I just hope they actually have the Billie Jean film to remaster.
It was 2006, not 2004. The films made their debut on DVD as a box set in 2004 with only the enhanced versions, then in 2006 each film was released as an individual standalone with dumps of the non-anamorphic 1993 laserdisc masters haphazardly thrown in as "bonus material".

I wouldn't see why they wouldn't have the 16mm elements for Billie Jean, especially if it's already been alluded to be getting a new 4K scan.

Steve could team up with John McClain to polish Chicago 1945 and finish Dreams Away. I bet they both would do them tracks justice.
Anyone think 'Dreams Away' could be 'Make a Wish' from the Mexico deposition? The title Steve gives it as sounds like it could be a working title. Maybe Michael renamed it later on after polishing the lyrics?

The opening lyrics are very 'Peter Pan'-esc, maybe something to do with the planned Spielberg film?

Anyone think 'Dreams Away' could be 'Make a Wish' from the Mexico deposition? The title Steve gives it as sounds like it could be a working title. Maybe Michael renamed it later on after polishing the lyrics?

The opening lyrics are very 'Peter Pan'-esc, maybe something to do with the planned Spielberg film?
It is thought that all songs done for the Peter Pan movie were written and recorded with Buz Kohan, not Porcaro, ‘Make A Wish’ being one of them.

Still, an interesting theory.

“Make a Wish” is a separate song, done with Buz Kohan between 1983-1984! I could absolutely see “Dreams Away” being reworked for a Peter Pan movie though.

It was about 17 hours ago that the official MJ Estate released the Official Audio of Thriller 40 on Disc 2 to YouTube in virtual graphics video version

I loved this. Quincy is a fantastic producer and a genius in his own right, but Michael was the main driving force behind those three albums and they were his vision, not Quincy's. Quincy did a fantastic job in helping Michael bring his vision to life but Michael was in the drivers seat.
This x 100. I can’t stand when people diminish MJ’s capabilities as a producer. Especially since the demos for Bad were apparently more or less indistinguishable from the album versions, and Quincy’s contributions were minimal.

I loved this. Quincy is a fantastic producer and a genius in his own right, but Michael was the main driving force behind those three albums and they were his vision, not Quincy's. Quincy did a fantastic job in helping Michael bring his vision to life but Michael was in the drivers seat.
I like how Branca takes positions on issues on his Tik Tok. So far he always gets things straight to the point

Unpopular opinion, but some of those changes were justified lol. I've actually never watched the "demastered" original versions though. I think George made sure the masters got hidden somewhere because only the special editions are remastered on Bluray.

Holding out hope that they are just taking their time re editing BJ from scratch. If they really cant find BJ masters then that is really disappointing. Its also odd MJ didnt use the master in moonwalker.
Some of them are ok, visually, but every change to dialogue or story is significantly worse. And the music changes as well are mostly unwarranted. Not to tangent on Star Wars

posting chicago along with a snippet of steve talking, thats the last of it. its up to the recorder Lord to decide what to do with the rest of it.

Well if he did all those takes...why arent thier any background harmonies except the line "chicago" & ad libs unless it's a more complete version out there

I hope we get the premieredate for the doc soon. - And hopefully also some info regarding which platforms the doc will be released on - and if it ill be released on Blu-Ray.

posting chicago along with a snippet of steve talking, thats the last of it. its up to the recorder Lord to decide what to do with the rest of it.

You guys.. No reaction to Beanos upgrade?
I think his mixes are the best since the initial leak, speaking of the soundquality!

What do of those of you think, who listened to these 2 spectacular leaks???

I must add though, that I still haven’t listened to the full songs only the first 30 to 45 secs of each.
Until „It was Chicago .. 1945…“
and „Sail away to our Never Neverland…“
in the respective songs.

The merch looks great! Simple but effective. If the varsity jacket wasn’t so expensive I’d pick it up in a heartbeat.
I wish it didn't have the Thriller 40 logo on the back. Don't know if it's just me but it looks great apart from that.

I felt the same about some of the MJ the musical stuff. Cool designs but the logo ruins it.

Last edited:
Hope nobody comes at my jugular now, but since some of y'all were talking about Quincy the other day, thought I should comment this.

I've just watched Q's documentary on Netflix. Don't know if anyone else has, but it's somewhat explainable that an almost 90yo man who's had 2 brain aneurysms, 1 stroke and a major blood clot throughout his lifetime may have spoken some bs on various topics, including his work with Michael.
Also, we know he's got issues with the management and stuff for royalties or whatever, but he doesn't seem to have forgotten about Michael. There's multiple instances during the doc where you can see references to MJ or even Q mentioning him fondly.

His house:
1rFPBYu.png
9761cUU.png

nawOh2j.png

His QJ Prods HQ:
qoBnMOT.png

There's a scene where he's visiting the Smithsonian African-American Museum and, in front of a display of MJs Victory Tour BJ outfit, he stops and stares saying: "Smelly..."

Although he's probably too scared to stand for Michael about the fake allegations publicly, he doesn't seem to have hard feelings towards him. He's just old and probably mentally affected by his age and multiple health problems.

By the way, there are multiple songs he produced throughout the documentary, but for the MJ ones, it seems he didn't get permission to use the original recordings. DSTYGE, PYT, Thriller and MITM were recreated by some of the original musicians (Greg, JR, Paulinho, Paul Jackson Jr).

Last edited:
Hope nobody comes at my jugular now, but since some of y'all were talking about Quincy the other day, thought I should comment this.

I've just watched Q's documentary on Netflix. Don't know if anyone else has, but it's somewhat explainable that an almost 90yo man who's had 2 brain aneurysms, 1 stroke and a major blood clot throughout his lifetime may have spoken some bs on various topics, including his work with Michael.
Also, we know he's got issues with the management and stuff for royalties or whatever, but he doesn't seem to have forgotten about Michael. There's multiple instances during the doc where you can see references to MJ or even Q mentioning him fondly.

His house:
1rFPBYu.png
9761cUU.png
Well said. And yes, it’s a good watch!

Back