Thriller 40th Anniversary

there’s a section of people who are jealous that ‘thriller’ was the last era that was relatively scandal free. michael’s music and talent spoke for itself. these people will go out of their way to tarnish that, as evidenced by the ‘we are the world’/drugs thread. it’s sad. they’re not fans, and they won’t succeed in their vicious schemes. history cannot be rewritten.
The 'Bad era' was scandal free too imo

They're all scandalous free. The music is music. Separate the art from the artist and all that.

But the "scandals" with MJ started in the Thriller era really. That guy's wrong. Most people just won't acknowledge that. Off The Wall was the last scandalous era.

They're all scandalous free. The music is music. Separate the art from the artist and all that.

But the "scandals" with MJ started in the Thriller era really. That guy's wrong. Most people just won't acknowledge that. Off The Wall was the last scandalous era.
They would say that he was gay back in those days. That started even before the so called Off the Wall era.

Back then, the tabloids were relentlessly claiming that he’d have his skin bleached. And then, on top of that, there is the whole nonsense about him sleeping in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, and buying the bones of the Elephant Man.

It would be wrong to call any of those things ‘scandals’, though. It’s slander — gossip and lies — is what it is. It’s only scandalous in the view of those buying into the tales.

Like, I'm not saying that the doc should discuss any specific scandal. But there's definitely gonna be a section of it talking about the impact Thriller and MJ had on the world; the album made him a superstar and his career would never be the same. In many ways, MJ became a victim of his own success; every subsequent album he made would be compared to Thriller and nothing came close. And of course, all kinds of controversies followed and it was clear that MJ had certain issues from his upbringing. From this point on, his life would be scrutinized like never before, and by the time he made the 25th anniversary of Thriller in 2007, he was greatly in debt. Two years later, he was dead. While there was a global outpouring of grief and MJ's posthumous went on to achieve great success, in 2023, it's rather uncertain what his legacy is.

Obviously, the doc will be pro-MJ overall and it's silly to expect it to be negative or even neutral, but I think some part of it should make it a point that MJ was only a human being and not a god. When there's so much controversy clouding his legacy, the doc should find a way to show MJ support while also acknowledging that there were questionable aspects of his life without specifying.

Last edited:
Like, I'm not saying that the doc should discuss any specific scandal. But there's definitely gonna be a section of it talking about the impact Thriller and MJ had on the world; the album made him a superstar and his career would never be the same. In many ways, MJ became a victim of his own success; every subsequent album he made would be compared to Thriller and nothing came close. And of course, all kinds of controversies followed and it was clear that MJ had certain issues from his upbringing. From this point on, his life would be scrutinized like never before, and by the time he made the 25th anniversary of Thriller in 2007, he was greatly in debt. Two years later, he was dead. While there was a global outpouring of grief and MJ's posthumous went on to achieve great success, in 2023, it's rather uncertain what his legacy is.

Obviously, the doc will be pro-MJ overall and it's silly to expect it to be negative or even neutral, but I think some part of it should make it a point that MJ was only a human being and not a god. When there's so much controversy clouding his legacy, the doc should find a way to show MJ support while also acknowledging that there were questionable aspects of his life without specifying.
Yeah, I think you're wanting to watch a different documentary.

ARE U SERIOUS????? do you not know bout the elephant mam bones story?? or the story bout mj having a shrine of elizabeth taylor in his home

yes, but it became popular in ‘83 with the release of ‘billie jean’, the short films, and motown 25.
only ‘the girl is mine’ was released alongside the album at the end of ‘82. it hadn’t made as much of an impact as it would the following year.
True.

Yeah wasn’t the album already dropping in sales after the first few weeks/months before before billie jean exploded onto the scene?

Back