Thriller 40th Anniversary

Regarding the Thriller short films in 4K.
Do you guys think we will get them in REAL 4K or just some AI upscale bullsh*t? :ROFLMAO:
I'd say for thriller and beat it, definitely a rescan of the film.

For Billie Jean, considering mj didn't rescan the 16mm film for Moonwalker, there's a chance it could be lost, meaning ai is the only way to restore it.

I'd say for thriller and beat it, definitely a rescan of the film.

For Billie Jean, considering mj didn't rescan the 16mm film for Moonwalker, there's a chance it could be lost, meaning ai is the only way to restore it.
Eh, i doubt it's truly truly lost, if anything it's probably in some random's collector's vault, like most important MJ stuff :p

Is there a chance that we might get Thriller 40 in Dolby Atmos?
It is baffling that it hasn't happened yet.

Is there a chance that we might get Thriller 40 in Dolby Atmos?
It is baffling that it hasn't happened yet.
I think I read somewhere that the original multitrack recording of Baby Be Mine has been lost, dunno if that's real.

I am looking at the track list for the deluxe edition bonus tracks and I am disappointed.

What is the point of including pointless crappy remixes from Thriller 25?
What is there no The Girl is Mine solo version?
What would be The Lady In My Life extended version?
Why is Thriller demo aka Starlight not on it?
Is there no Baby Be Mine demo?

No idea if it'll be bilingual. I assume not. Presumably it'll just be in Japanese but this is brilliant. Love it.

Last edited:
In the USA there's no question Thriller will beat it.
It might Billie Jean it too.
Jonh nadie on Twitter: Michael Jackson viendo el #mediotiempo de The  Weeknd. https://t.co/lAHGTMDeGd / Twitter

On a serious note, aside from these MJ-related websites and social media accounts, I haven't seen any ads or marketing for Thriller 40 recently. Meanwhile, the new Queen album re-release is already getting a bunch of publicity thanks to "Face It Alone".

Also, this is kind of off-topic, but I would argue that Queen is more popular now than when Freddie was alive. In the late 80's (especially in America) their albums didn't sell as well as their earlier material, not unlike MJ's sales in the late 90's til 2009.

As morbid as it sounds, when both Freddie and MJ died, they both became modern myths: like, it's impossible for younger people to understand how talented both men were since they can only hear stories from older generations or watch decades-old footage.

On a serious note, aside from these MJ-related websites and social media accounts, I haven't seen any ads or marketing for Thriller 40 recently.
I agree. I think that's why I lost my mind just now seeing the info re that Japanese magazine that's going to celebrate T40 in November. Just recently I've been browsing the UK music mags to see if they have any upcoming T40 stuff planned or any adverts or ... well, just anything, really. Haven't seen anything. That's not conclusive, of course. I could easily have missed something. But I would have expected to see *something* by now.

Meanwhile, the new Queen album re-release is already getting a bunch of publicity thanks to "Face It Alone".
Exactly. I noticed that and I wasn't even looking for it.

As morbid as it sounds, when both Freddie and MJ died, they both became modern myths: like, it's impossible for younger people to understand how talented both men were since they can only hear stories from older generations or watch decades-old footage.
Agreed. I hate to say it but I really think you had to be there. I know that's not helpful to younger fans and thank god we have YT and the web and all the other resources that we didn't have back in the day. All of that is fabulous. But I really don't think that it's possible to fully convey Michael's awesomeness back then or the scale of his popularity or the intensity of it even in spite of the negative MSM nonsense. I think the younger fans can absolutely get how talented Michael was since we still have all of his work. But understanding it in the context of the times, understanding the impact he had, that's the impossible bit, imo. There will always be something missing.

That's just my take on it. Who knows? I could be wrong. I don't know what it's like to come across Michael's music in this era. What does that feel like? I don't know and won't ever be able to appreciate what that's like. In the end, all we can do is enjoy and appreciate our own experiences, we all have a different take on this. We all think Michael is awesome, that's what matters.

I think Freddies unreleasend song will be number 1 in many countries and their coming album-release is now at the top of the bestseller lists. The biopic in 2018 brought many new fans to Queen and a large increase in airpaly (at least in Germany).

The release of Thriller 40 is only known to fans at this point. You have to expect to do promotion this week or next week. Maybe their promotion is related to the days for Halloween. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:

Dang it! Just found this. This is one of the mags I've been checking just recently. Didn't occur to me back in March to be looking for stuff.

I really liked this article, lots of good stuff here including this:

"Thriller is not just a classic album; it is the classic album. The archetype by which all else is measured. Totally fresh but absolutely timeless, its release was a cultural event that captured the world’s collective imagination in much the same way that the moon landings did. That might sound a stretch, but just think about it."

Felix Rowe / Classic Pop / March 2022 (emphasis added)

@staywild23 - you might enjoy this. I think he does a great job of helping people to understand *some* of what it was like when Thriller was smashing it back in the day.

Last edited:
@Hiker - not sure where to put this. I guess here is OK. This dates from 2008 but there are a few bits I didn't know. It might be useful for newer fans to look at.
yeah, hard to pick a place. Probably also new threads, michael in media if it was newer. Makes sense here also.

On a serious note, aside from these MJ-related websites and social media accounts, I haven't seen any ads or marketing for Thriller 40 recently. Meanwhile, the new Queen album re-release is already getting a bunch of publicity thanks to "Face It Alone".

Also, this is kind of off-topic, but I would argue that Queen is more popular now than when Freddie was alive. In the late 80's (especially in America) their albums didn't sell as well as their earlier material, not unlike MJ's sales in the late 90's til 2009.

Queen and Freddie's popularity has been boosted with the BohRhap film. They were always huge in EU, especially in the UK, but Freddie started being botched in the US around 1984 when the I Want To Break Free music video premiered on MTV there since there were claims he was gay (US and their conservative nonsense).

Back to the topic, we're about a month away from the release date of T40 and the Estate should start promoting it right now. Don't expect it to sell well or even achieve satisfying numbers if they're only creating hype for the fanbase. There's no action to reach to the wider audience.

idk if they still have the original but since Baby Be Mine is in the Thriller Megamix, I think they've digitized it
Baby Be Mine is not in Thriller Megamix, only Billie Jean, Thriller, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) and Beat It

Baby Be Mine is not in Thriller Megamix, only Billie Jean, Thriller, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) and Beat It
oh... thought it was included. nevermind

New, interesting interview with John Bettis

Whether what will become of the 4k thing would also be the right time to put making of thriller on dvd I no longer trust the estate

New, interesting interview with John Bettis

Thank you so, so much for posting this. It was awesome. I love these interviews that Brice Najar does. I haven't read an interview of his that I didn't love but this exceeded any that I've seen before. It's an astonishing piece of work.

I especially loved these quotes:

"Then, the Thriller album happened and I went: « Good God ! » I mean, there isn’t anything else like that. There’s the Thriller album and there’s everything else. It was global history all at once. I’ve had a lot of good experiences with a lot of great artists but I don‘t think anything could ever match what, first of all, Michael was like. I mean, I have only met whom I have met, but he’s certainly the most completely talented person that I’ve ever met. I’ve never seen anyone that could literally do EVERYTHING and do it well! He really could – he was as complete a showman as we’ve ever had ... Nobody covered all the bases on a genius level but Michael Jackson. Nobody. Not even close."

"Michael was a rhythmic singer, and his sense of inner clock and inner rhythm was so impeccable that I wanted to do my level best to give him a chance to use that talent of his to the extreme."

"It took a little while before the recording was released, and then Thriller became Thriller. Thriller wasn’t really Thriller the way we think of it now until after the Motown 25 television show. I remember watching that on tv and thinking: « Ok, now, all bets are off. » I’m a show business junkie and with the electronic delivery of television, you can feel it when those rare events happen that are an earthquake to the culture. When he moonwalked on that thing, I looked at my then wife and I said: « This is going to get crazy! THAT is changing everything. » And it did."

Fabulous quotes but the whole interview is a beautiful thing. It was SO exciting to read that. I had no idea he worked with The Carpenters. I love their music but have never really bothered to find out a great deal about them. I only really know the hit singles although I always loved Karen Carpenter as a drummer as much as I loved her voice and the songs.

This interview with John Bettis is a real treasure. 🥰

Last edited:
One month to go so the promo really should be starting to happen. The estate said activations would happen. I am sure they don't just mean the release every week up till the album release of new or rare demos.
Come on estate/Sony what have you got planned.
Good to see that MJ Musical is making it out of USA to appear here in London in 2024.

Somehow it appears to work because the thriller album is rising steadily on the billboard hot 200 album chart. Don’t ask me how but it is happening.
Halloween effect? Or maybe they are doing something in US

Somehow it appears to work because the thriller album is rising steadily on the billboard hot 200 album chart. Don’t ask me how but it is happening.
Thriller has been on the charts this time of year since 1983. That's just a coincidence I think. But they need to release SOMETHING...a commercial, the new 4k clips or something

Back