Thriller 40th Anniversary

It's a bit weird that Hot Street and Nightline weren't removed from YouTube and didn't have a "Track xx" on YouTube's copyright information. So it could be actually an unleaked track

I don’t see the fuss over the Revolver reissue. Sure, it’s multi-disc, but does anybody really care about “alternate takes” of songs? I wouldn’t buy that for MJ; listening to him sing a few words differently isn’t worth it. The home demos are somewhat interesting, but to my understanding, most have leaked. At least Thriller 40 is giving us something new.

I don’t see the fuss over the Revolver reissue. Sure, it’s multi-disc, but does anybody really care about “alternate takes” of songs? I wouldn’t buy that for MJ; listening to him sing a few words differently isn’t worth it. The home demos are somewhat interesting, but to my understanding, most have leaked. At least Thriller 40 is giving us something new.
Alternate takes often sound different from the final take., sometimes vocally and instrumentally. Small changes can make a big difference and I've got quite a few songs that I prefer an alternate take to the final. Stuff like that is incredibly interesting to me personally.

Last edited:
It is interesting. For example the she’s out of my life guitar version starts with Michael asking to start again because he forgotten some lyrics or whatever. I am not particularly interested in all the takes they did for each song but the difference between the guitar version and the version that ended up on record is significantly different in mood. If many of his tracks have alternate takes like that then I am dying to hear them.

Alternate takes often sound different from the final take., sometimes vocally and instrumentally. Small changes can make a big difference and I've got quite a few songs that I prefer an alternate take to the final. Stuff like that is incredibly interesting to me personally.
Plus, the mix is usually slightly different as well. I love hearing alternate takes. They can be awesome and are nearly always interesting.

It is interesting. For example the she’s out of my life guitar version starts with Michael asking to start again because he forgotten some lyrics or whatever. I am not particularly interested in all the takes they did for each song but the difference between the guitar version and the version that ended up on record is significantly different in mood. If many of his tracks have alternate takes like that then I am dying to hear them.
“Alternate take” and “alternate version” are different in my perspective. Like, the demo of “She’s Out of My Life” is wonderful because the entire atmosphere is different. But if somebody made a new mix of “Human Nature” with the same instrumentation and a different vocal take, I couldn’t be bothered. If it doesn’t offer a real change, I don’t see the appeal.

That’s just me though. I’m not a Beatles fan to begin with, but I can’t imagine blowing hundreds on anything but demos and/or unheard material. It feels like a cheap way to say, “Buy this album for the nineteenth time! You have an opportunity to hear Paul cough before starting to sing, and Ringo accidentally comes in a half measure too early in the chorus!”

“Alternate take” and “alternate version” are different in my perspective. Like, the demo of “She’s Out of My Life” is wonderful because the entire atmosphere is different. But if somebody made a new mix of “Human Nature” with the same instrumentation and a different vocal take, I couldn’t be bothered. If it doesn’t offer a real change, I don’t see the appeal.

That’s just me though. I’m not a Beatles fan to begin with, but I can’t imagine blowing hundreds on anything but demos and/or unheard material.
What do you think about the Human Nature 7" Version? the one with the alternate bridge.

Plus, the mix is usually slightly different as well. I love hearing alternate takes. They can be awesome and are nearly always interesting.

Yes definitely agreed, mixing differences are super interesting and can cause some big differences in the listening of the track when compared to the final version, love me some alternate takes

Yes definitely, mixing differences are super interesting and can cause some big differences in the listening of the track, love me some alternate takes
Exactly. The vocals - or a guitar part - might be lower or higher in the mix. There are so many parts, so many layers to Michael's songs I can't imagine an alternate mix that wouldn't be at least interesting to hear.

Exactly. The vocals - or a guitar part - might be lower or higher in the mix. There are so many parts, so many layers to Michael's songs I can't imagine an alternate mix that wouldn't be at least interesting to hear.
Smooth Criminal is the perfect example of this, there's like, at least 5 entirely different mixes, and all of them have their own unique flavor to them due to the fact that they sometimes have different instruments, different speeds, different arrangements in general and the only thing they share between each other is the vocal take, even though the vocals are the same, they all feel special and unique due to all these little differences...

That’s just me though. I’m not a Beatles fan to begin with, but I can’t imagine blowing hundreds on anything but demos and/or unheard material. It feels like a cheap way to say, “Buy this album for the nineteenth time! You have an opportunity to hear Paul cough before starting to sing, and Ringo accidentally comes in a half measure too early in the chorus!”

The Beatles re releases also come with totally remixed versions of the original album, sounding much better then they originally did (imo). So it's not really what you're describing at all tbh.

Last edited:
Smooth Criminal is the perfect example of this, there's like, at least 5 entirely different mixes, and all of them have their own unique flavor to them due to the fact that they sometimes have different instruments, different speeds, different arrangements in general and the only thing they share between each other is the vocal take, even though the vocals are the same, they all feel special and unique due to all these little differences...
I don't wanna derail the T40 too much but cheers for this. I'll have to chase this stuff down.

Maybe if we had a proper HIStory 25 we could have waited out on a big Thriller 50... Since we're a bit dry when it comes to new material, I think the fan community is too in need of something.

What do you think about the Human Nature 7" Version? the one with the alternate bridge.
It exists?
The Beatles re releases also come with totally remixed versions of the original album, sounding much better than they originally did (imo). So it's not really what you're describing at all tbh.
Sure, that’s a valid and enjoyable addition. But unless that album is sold on its own (which it might be, for all I know), I don’t think I’d drop money for a single disc of material I’d be interested in.

The Beatles re releases also come with totally remixed versions of the original album, sounding much better then they originally did (imo). So it's not really what you're describing at all tbh.
Some diehard Beatles fans would kill you for saying Giles Martin's remixes sound better than George Martin's originals.

Some diehard Beatles fans would kill you for saying Giles Martin's remixes sound better than George Martin's originals.

I'm not a fan of the original Beatles stereo mixes at all, also not a fan of mono unless I absolutely need to listen to it. Giles also incorporates the differences between the mono and stereo versions into his mixes often and I think that's pretty cool.

I'm not a fan of the original Beatles stereo mixes at all, also not a fan of mono unless I absolutely need to listen to it. Giles also incorporates the differences between the mono and stereo versions into his mixes often and I think that's pretty cool.
Most of the diehard fans dislike his EQ work saying that it is too bass-heavy, often losing subtleties of the original mixes done by his father.
It is really hard to find the proper original stereo mixes, but when you do find some, they do sound great!

Most of the diehard fans dislike his EQ work saying that it is too bass-heavy, often losing subtleties of the original mixes done by his father.
It is really hard to find the proper original stereo mixes, but when you do find some, they do sound great!

I think I just have a lot of small issues with them that are products of the time that they are made that Giles corrects in his mixes, and I do think I prefer the sound as well.

I am aware that things I see as things to dislike are things that a lot of people enjoy about those mixes though so I guess it's just what you like.

Last edited:
I think I just have a lot of small issues with them that are products of the time that they are made that Giles corrects in his mixes, and I do think I prefer the sound as well.

I am aware that things I see as things to dislike are things that a lot of people enjoy about those mixes though so I guess it's just what you like.
Indeed. It is all very subjective based on a lot of perspectives and perceptions.
Giles has tech on his side and he's been doing justice to these recordings, that's a fact.

Hi ! I do not usually post but I have a question. I have seen that there will be a new SACD of Thriller. Will it sound better than the 2001 SACD or not ? Is mobile fidelity lab known for making great SACD ? Sorry if it's a dumb question for you but I want to be sure 😅

Hi ! I do not usually post but I have a question. I have seen that there will be a new SACD of Thriller. Will it sound better than the 2001 SACD or not ? Is mobile fidelity lab known for making great SACD ? Sorry if it's a dumb question for you but I want to be sure 😅
To make it easy: yes. Mobile Fidelity is known for making great audiophile pressings.

Back