One cannot say that there is no marketing, no push, nothing to incite the general audience or even put this release on their radars.
Here are some important marketing/promotional moves for the 'Thriller 40' anniversary album:
- the flash mob in Times Square (New York City), where the general audience were treated to a full routine by dancers in zombie costume and outfits performing to Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' song (John Branca was also there and he happily posed with the dancers for photos)
- the massive LED screens on the Nasdaq Stock Market building, where the cover of the 'Thriller 40' album was projected
- the official announcement of the upcoming 'Thriller' documentary (via various media outlets) that refers also the 'Thriller 40' album
- fan events/fan parties around the world, hosted by the Estate and Sony Music, that the general audience have free access to them in order to participate in immersive experiences, screenings of the 'Thriller 40' documentary and so on
- special 'Thriller'-themed parties around the world in which the general audience have the opportunity to hear the full 'Thriller 40' album for the first time
Note that the 'michaeljackson.com' official website reference accompanies all those events in order for the general audience to get more information and details about that 'Thriller 40' album release.
The 'Thriller 40' album promotion also takes place in an indirect way (for example, by word of mouth).