Thriller 40th Anniversary

Complaining about people not having the same opinion as you is very tiring.
That has unfortunately been xscape guy 2003's style for a good amount of years now. It can be misjudged as being too passionate, but the same can be said about people who do not share his (usually) very naive look at the Estate's ways of handling things

xscape guy:
just face it; some people will always have different opinions and different standards than you

Vision is physically and conceptually a top-tier project that was let down by the horrific video quality. First order of business should be to reissue it on 4K with proper restoration.
Yeah, the idea was great but the execution was piss poor. Same can be said for 95% of post 2009 happenings with these guys.

If the MJE released more than just the logo to kick off the campaign, would fans be so fixated on it? I’m not sure it would be *as bad*.

I think the heat is on so bad because it’s all we have to focus on currently.

I don't care that much about the logo but it's not so beautiful. I still hope for a HQ version of Trouble, Slapstick, It Don't Matter To Me (although it was in early process i think), I Never Heard (Original), Much Too Soon (Original) and maybe some demos

Nobody apart from a few ppl around here care about pre-Bad tour footage.
Guess I'm one of the few. Go back to the threads when Toronto 84 leaked. Several fans here were excited/very interested in this tour. All we had before this was LQ Dallas & Kansas. If the legal tape didnt exist I would be hoping for an official victory concert release included in T40.

I think a Victory Tour concert inclusion is a waste of space personally. I know it was considered as part of the Thriller promo, but at its heart it’s a Jackson’s project. Releasing it here would feel totally out of place. Do a standalone release for that one (if you have to).

Guess I'm one of the few. Go back to the threads when Toronto 84 leaked. Several fans here were excited/very interested in this tour. All we had before this was LQ Dallas & Kansas. If the legal tape didnt exist I would be hoping for an official victory concert release included in T40.
Imo Victory deserves its own anniversary release, including the release of its title-given song & concert dvd (or bd if possible).

Imo Victory deserves its own anniversary release, including the release of its title-given song & concert dvd (or bd if possible).
Any kind of release would be awesome imo. I just like the idea of packaging concerts from the same era. If wembley was in HD I would give Bad25 a 10/10 honestly. Victory Tour was the biggest selling tour at the time. Had the best tech (lighting, stage etc). I still consider it to be the Thriller era because this was the first time he performed/promoted thriller era tracks besides Motown25. Dont think it would be a waste at all to include it.

I think this project will be a bunch of different individual parts that together constitute the whole. So, the CD/vinyl is a part, the 4K videos are another and so on, being each one of them standalone releases.
It makes more sense to see it like that than the "boxset" idea. Individual parts to favor different niches.

Invincible and post Invincible tracks are the best we had with the new releases/leaks.
We've Had Enough/Beautiful Girl/The Way You Love me/Chicago/A Place With No Name/Blue Gangster >>>> older outtakes
I agree. It angers me that the Estate only focuses on Thriller, last year was MJ's 50th career anniversary and we could've gotten a bigger project with demos from all eras, but to the Estate it's like Bad and Thriller are the only albums Michael has ever created...

Visions was just a DVD transfer
A lot of the content on visions and the HIStory on Film DVDs are laserdisc or broadcast tape sourced. I'd call a lot of the films on there sub DVD quality IMO.

Positive media articles. “Michael Jackson is coming” and #Thriller40 trending on Twitter five months before the project drops. A primetime television tribute during a major awards show. News reports. This is the most positive press Michael’s gotten in three years.

Thriller 40 is basically Michael’s post-LN comeback project, and I’ve seen nothing but love and excitement for it. Despite our reservations, I think we can all agree that that’s amazing to see.

You may think.i am nieve buy I have watched the *usual* moan about anything the estate does over and over, nothings good enough.
For people that are saying why not before now etc. There was this huge negative project that the estate had to contend with in the form of LN! PLUS It takes time to sort out projects and waiting for the right time this seems to be the right time.
I hope and pray that the estate have this time right and that no negativity comes from other sharlitons as has happened with previous new projects to try and dampen the project to get more money.
I also believe that with Prince on board with this it will be better than any other project posthumously and that will be more Michael like when he was alive.

It is always there and that's why I'm amazed at the negativity on here when this is only just starting out.

*sighs*

Last edited:
I am exited to see what the planned surprises the coming months will be.

I have a feeling we are in for a treat This Time Around.

I also believe that with Prince on board with this it will be better than any other project posthumously and that will be more Michael like when he was alive
Do we know that Prince is on board or we are just guessing? I think if Prince was involved we would have heard about that from some official channel because that would be huge!

I am a "newcomer" (as someone put it ;) ), so I don't have 10 years of history of disappointments, but still, given the amount of stuff Estate had to deal with post LN, I think we should give them a chance. They have started well, the announcements, the press, promised a series of releases. Logo, ok it sucks, probably done by some intern. In the end Estate is a business, they would do whatever maximizes profit. They are going about this from head and we are going about this from heart. Let's hope there is good overlap between the two.

In an ideal world - Thriller 2CD (With some never before seen photographs in addition to the unpublished songs), The Making Of Thriller on either streaming services or stand alone Blu-Ray, extended cut (Featuring film material from dance Rehearsals/on set etc.) And the bonus material of course being the Billie Jean and Beat It short films. Finally, I would like to see Sonic Fantasy being officially endorsed - IF their are no plans for an official documentary on The Estates part.

I was thinking about these:
Learned My Lesson/Much Too Soon
Nymphette Lover
Rolling The Dice
She's Trouble
Stand Tall
Who Do You Know

Random titles from that era that might be released maybe in the 2nd disc? I don't think but it's just for discussion.

Nymphette Lover
Rolling The Dice
She's Trouble
Stand Tall
Who Do You Know

Random titles from that era that might be released maybe in the 2nd disc? I don't think but it's just for discussion.
I really would like Hot Street to be officially released, getting to hear that in proper quality, mixed from the masters, would be cool.

I really would like Hot Street to be officially released, getting to hear that in proper quality, mixed from the masters, would be cool.
Completely agreed - one of the hottest unreleased songs imo. I think it wouldn't take much to update it and re-release, a la Silk Sonic/Pharrell's old school type of release we see today.

Fantastic thread on core brand values & why the new cover is such an insult
Interesting read about branding of Thriller. Maybe 6 months from now I will be changing my views on MJE, who knows. I am still finding it hard to believe that the Estate of THE biggest pop star in the world is managed by incompetent people, that is so opposite to what Michael lived by - excellence and perfection. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part that something awesome is coming. Now I am sad 😢

Nymphette Lover
Rolling The Dice
She's Trouble
Stand Tall
Who Do You Know

My ideal setlist would also include The Toy and MJ Melody, even if MJ Melody isn't a proper song it's still something I would like to hear.

Back