Thriller 40th Anniversary

I wonder if Landis had any hand/input in the restoration process, it would be nice if Robert Paynter could have but obviously that’s not possible now. Either way these upgrades are phenomenal!

how is it that beat it 4k is not as great as thriller 4k? thriller looks so sharp, much sharper than beat it.
It is likely the source material just wasn't in as good condition and some slight noise reduction was used, nothing you can do about that at a certain point really. I still think it looks great.

FhbpPRMXEAI_yXZ

Germany 2022 #Thriller40

FhZT-XxXoAEOfWa

It is likely the source material just wasn't in as good condition and some slight noise reduction was used, nothing you can do about that at a certain point really. I still think it looks great.
It still looks fantastic indeed. I did notice the noise reduction, which is a bit unfortunate as I prefer the grainier look, which they did retain for Thriller. If I had to nitpick, the only other slight negative to me is the color-grading on Thriller. Everything is really bright and colorful. That's great for spotting details, but does take away from the atmosphere of the video a bit imo. Beat It's colors are perfect for that video, I think.

But overall this is excellent work. I think these two videos are the two best releases since This Is It. It's fantastic to be able to see the videos in this quality after all those years. Unsurprisingly, they hold up so well - credit to Michael and his crews.

I don't think anyone has talked about this, but since we (at least myself) now know that the film has an audio track on it, have they used the sourced from them or from the old tape masters? If it's sourced from the reels, the degraded audio quality of Beat It could also mean the reels aren't in perfect shape.

Also, since Thriller sounds good (with no big issues), Beat It can be reconstructed. Maybe extract the effects using AI de-mix and put them over the album take, maybe the MoFi one. Just an idea.

Because it was remastered in IMAX Which is a different league. Also the audio has been remastered too whereas beat its audio hasn't.
The audio from the 4K version we got is the exact same as the one from the original low quality 480p video. That's also the case with Beat It.

I don't think anyone has talked about this, but since we (at least myself) now know that the film has an audio track on it, have they used the sourced from them or from the old tape masters? If it's sourced from the reels, the degraded audio quality of Beat It could also mean the reels aren't in perfect shape.
Film reel negatives don't contain any audio.

Back