Thriller 40th Anniversary

Unfortunately it seems like everything regarding T40 has stopped...

So I doubt we will get to see BJ in 1080p HD - even though it would make sense to release it on it's 40th anniversary.
Maybe they're just waiting for daylights saving time lol. Phase 2 of Promotion.

Unfortunately it seems like everything regarding T40 has stopped...

So I doubt we will get to see BJ in 1080p HD - even though it would make sense to release it on it's 40th anniversary.
I was naive enough to think they might be going for a clever approach. Don't just celebrate the 40th for the album itself but keep it going throughout 2023 as each of the 40th moments crop up. I'm not a marketing person but it seems to me that could have worked.

Maybe they're just waiting for daylights saving time lol. Phase 2 of Promotion.
This is genuinely funny but also hugely frustrating. I had hoped that by now we would be well into Phase 2. Ngl, I am quite naive when it comes to business stuff - I do not have a business brain - but, jeez! Didn't expect this. Nothing? Just nothing at all? :(

So we cant even get Thriller & Beat it on Bluray? Package it with the doc or album...

Disappointing for sure. I’d love to know the real reason the documentary has ostensibly been shelved. We can all speculate but there has to be a legitimate reason.

They not gonna tell us.. they will simply be silent like always.

Disappointing for sure. I’d love to know the real reason the documentary has ostensibly been shelved. We can all speculate but there has to be a legitimate reason.
I really do think they're working out a deal to give it more optics. There is no point in making it just for it to end up blocked and paywalled on a pay per view service. I'm not saying they'll get it on Disney+. But it does deserve to be seen more, and they have to figure that out. So blame whatever they're doing with the catalogue. And maybe whatever everyone else is doing with streaming services.

I really do think they're working out a deal to give it more optics. There is no point in making it just for it to end up blocked and paywalled on a pay per view service. I'm not saying they'll get it on Disney+. But it does deserve to be seen more, and they have to figure that out. So blame whatever they're doing with the catalogue. And maybe whatever everyone else is doing with streaming services.
they should have started a business and promo-plan before the actual T40 release..

they should have started a business and promo-plan before the actual T40 release..
Hey, you don't hear me disagreeing. That's basic business sense. Though to be fair, who knows what a post-leaving Neverland world is like for J Branca.

But I guess the truth is they just didn't wanna do this. Maybe they really rather would have done Dangerous/HIStory 25? Than sell Thriller again and again. So my question just is why not.

Do we know if the Thriller 40 documentary has been shelved? Or has just been delayed? Sorry I'm out of the loop

There has been no mentioning what so ever about the doc being shelved or cancelled.

So my best guess is that we WILL get to see it. - But when, where and how??

It takes time to make a good doc, interview people, edit it etc. etc. - so it is a big project. Therefore I do not believe it is shelved or cancelled.

I hope they do not call it Thriller 40th anniversary doc or something like that. Just make it a doc about Making the album Thriller.

It's weird that we haven't seen it up to now, I mean Thriller 40 was nearly 5 months ago.

The reviews I read from documentary were along the lines of, better than the Off The Wall doc, not as good as Bad 25. Unpolished was a word that came up a lot

^^^

I think I heard/read somewhere that they would get feedback from those who saw it and then maybe make small changes. - Many movies make these tests for audiences and then chooses different endings and other editorial changes after what the test-audience liked the best.

So I always thought/hoped they would get all the feedback and then polish it and release it. - Still hope this is what's taking them so long.

Negative fan feedback from the screening?

Negative fan feedback from the screening?
There was no negative feedback in the screening I attended. Though there were quite a lot of “placeholder” shots of microphones and mixing boards that suggested they had not (yet) cleared the rights to certain footage/interviews. I’d say it was about 80-85% complete.

There was no negative feedback in the screening I attended. Though there were quite a lot of “placeholder” shots of microphones and mixing boards that suggested they had not (yet) cleared the rights to certain footage/interviews. I’d say it was about 80-85% complete.
That's interesting, when was it you saw the documentary? If you don't mind me asking

Does anybody else besides me feel like Who Do You Know and The Toy were slightly modernized for Thriller 40?

It all comes down to tomorrow. Either we see something huge take place (Billie Jean Remastered) or nothing happens and it's truly dead.

Back