Thriller 40th Anniversary

so glad there’s confirmation that the ‘thriller’ documentary is still happening 💜
Also a confirmation that they are too lazy to just transfer some cassette tapes to the point that we won't get new songs until the next decade :oops:

Also a confirmation that they are too lazy to just transfer some cassette tapes to the point that we won't get new songs until the next decade :oops:
He talks about this and next year, not about thwe whole decade.

we already got ‘new’ songs on the ‘thriller 40’ album release. I’m very excited for the accompanying documentary 💜nothing is going to change that..

people who steal from Michael and leak material (which he himself was against), then complain when the same material is officially released, and there’s nothing else left.
Nope. I'm all in for leaks to be officially released so we can have them in "proper quality". I'd have loved Hot Street and Nite Line to be on T40 rather than Can't Get Outta the Rain and Sunset Driver. Release leaks, don't recycle stuff that has been released already.

the ‘stories in the room’ ongoing series about the making of the ‘thriller’ album, is miles better than the ‘sonic fantasy’ documentary. the official upcoming documentary will top them both because; it will cover the cultural impact of that time period, and michael’s own thoughts, music, and previously unseen footage will be represented. my only concern is that they have yet to find a network to broadcast it. michael’s reputation has unfortunately been damaged in recent years..
Stories In The Room is really nice indeed, but much like Sonic Fantasy doesn't have most of the musicians, Stories doesn't have Bruce. They're complementary in a way that they are two perspectives of the same story.
As for the T40 doc, it won't top anything because it is different. Like you said, it will cover the cultural impact, which is something that has been done numerous times on basically every other doc or report about Thriller and/or MJs career as a whole. I'm not saying it'll be bad, that's not it, but it'll be yet another iteration of the same old.

the official upcoming documentary will top them both
No it won't. We are tired of ad fluff pieces for casuals

We love these albums and we already know why. I pity the fools who need to be told why

They could just release 4K footage and it'd be twice the event.
they’re also the ones engaging in, and praising the use of a.i. it’s exploitative, dishonest, and hypocritical given the fallout over the cascio tracks.
And they're not even remotely the same and have nothing to do with what you're talking about.

Love or hate AI, it's been very transparent. The Casio tracks aren't the problem, they Lied about it. Ones at least by the people's hands, ones exploitation by a greedy record label company. I figured you'd care more about the underdogs then Branca and his cohorts but okay.

"delayed for technical reasons" - perhaps he's seen "Sonic Fantasy" and was like "damn, our documentary sucks"
Who knew that people would actually rather hear about the making of the album and the accounts of the people who worked on it instead of listening to whatever current popstar say how much MJ inspired them for the millionth time? 🤔

Well, even the great Estate-critiqus were full of prise for the Thriller 40-docu and it was not even finished at that time.
I am convinced most fans by now saying they are not intrested for the docu will watch it. But nobody is forced to do it,

Damien Shields
@DamienShields
·
30. Nov. 2022

All in all, the documentary was phenomenal, in my opinion. I attended with a non-hardcore fan friend of mine who loved it. I was cautiously optimistic about it being good, and it FAR exceeded my optimism. I think it’d be a huge success on a streaming platform like Netflix.

Well, even the great Estate-critiqus were full of prise for the Thriller 40-docu and it was not even finished at that time.
I am convinced most fans by now saying they are not intrested for the docu will watch it. But nobody is forced to do it,

Damien Shields
@DamienShields
·
30. Nov. 2022

All in all, the documentary was phenomenal, in my opinion. I attended with a non-hardcore fan friend of mine who loved it. I was cautiously optimistic about it being good, and it FAR exceeded my optimism. I think it’d be a huge success on a streaming platform like Netflix.
Even though I call it a fluff piece for casuals. That has it's place. And it's still enjoyable. We want that and more is the point. This is like the bare minimum.

Even though I call it a fluff piece for casuals. That has it's place. And it's still enjoyable. We want that and more is the point. This is like the bare minimum.
Yeah, I've never said that the docs the estate produced have been bad (apart from the xscape one which was just insulting). They are just not what I'm looking for and there's no reason they can't do a more in depth documentary.

Bad 25 was good, but there was far too much fluff and not enough substance. Why were we given extended periods of Questlove interviews, but only 30 total seconds of studio footage with MJ and Stevie Wonder?

Journey from Motown to Off the Wall was garbage though. Arguably the most useless thing they’ve done.

Bad 25 was good, but there was far too much fluff and not enough substance. Why were we given extended periods of Questlove interviews, but only 30 total seconds of studio footage with MJ and Stevie Wonder?

Journey from Motown to Off the Wall was garbage though. Arguably the most useless thing they’ve done.
Bad 25 was cohesive in a sense of trying to find a middle ground between impact, recording of the album and videos and paint a picture of MJs life and career at that point. I'd make some different choices there myself, but it works as is.

The truth is that we couldn't care less about documentaries, we want unseen MJ footage, either studio footage or live footage. All the carrot dangling in the doc was very distasteful, especially the MSG footage (not to mention the film sourced bits) right after the Wembley fiasco.

So the intro of Beat It intro should have been credited (unless there was an arrangement between MJ and Denny Yeager)

In the latest video from composer and sound designer Anthony Marinelli, he is joined by musician and sound designer Kevin Maloney, who reveals the origin of the iconic synth sound of Michael Jackson‘s Beat it.

In the video, Maloney demonstrates how the intro sound from Beat It was ‘inspired’ by The Incredible Sounds of Synclavier II, a blue vinyl audio demo disk for the Synclavier.

Maloney and Marinelli go on to discuss how the sound was based on a Synclavier preset, and how the demo disk melody, created by Denny Yeager, was recreated in the studio for Beat It.

For those that were deep into synths, and the synth music of the day, the sound was also immediately recognizable from the beginning of Tangerine Dream‘s 1981 album, Exit.

Did Michael Jackson’s ‘Beat It’ copy a synth demo record?

It’s pretty clear that the iconic sound of one of the best-selling singles of all time was copied straight from the Synclavier demo record.

Synthesist Alex Ball dug into this a few years ago, and raised the issue of copyright and credits. Ball notes, though, that Yeager went on to work together on Bad, where Yeager was credited with ‘certain Synclavier effects’.

The sound is iconic – but, arguably, it was Jackson’s use of the sound on Beat It that made it so iconic. Like some other presets from that era, the sound is so inextricably connected to a famous track that it’s challenging to use.

Composer Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) was up to that challenge, though, using the iconic sound as part of the 80’s-inspired sound palette for his score to the 2016 film Deadpool.

Here’s a behind the scenes look at the making of the Deadpool score – and you can’t miss that sound.

synthtopia.com

Does anyone think the doc should cover MJ's fall from grace in some way? I believe it should discuss how MJ's personal troubles got worse after Thriller to some extent. Not dwell on them or paint MJ as a monster, but I don't think that the doc should only discuss the positive aspects of MJ's life. Many people are conflicted about what to think of MJ, so I believe that the doc should tackle the moral dilemma they have with supporting him when we may never the truth about the more controversial parts of his life. The fate of MJ's legacy should be discussed at some point in the doc because it is more relevant now than ever before.

Last edited:
Does anyone think the doc should cover MJ's fall from grace in some way? I believe it should discuss how MJ's personal troubles got worse after Thriller to some extent. Not dwell on them or paint MJ as a monster, but I don't think that the doc should only discuss the positive aspects of MJ's life. Many people are conflicted about what to think of MJ, so I believe that the doc should tackle the moral dilemma they have with supporting him when we may never the truth about the more controversial parts of his life. The fate of MJ's legacy should be discussed at some point in the doc because it is more relevant now than ever before.
Nope. Let the Thriller documentary be about Thriller.
In my opinion, there's enough stuff out there discussing the more "controversial" parts of his life. Let us have something celebrating his music and solely that for a change.

How do you think the doc should cover MJ's fall from grace? I believe it should discuss how MJ's personal troubles got worse after Thriller to some extent. Not dwell on them or paint MJ as a monster, but I don't think that the doc should only discuss the positive aspects of MJ's life. Many people are conflicted about what to think of MJ, so I believe that the doc should tackle the moral dilemma of supporting him when we may never the truth about the more controversial parts of his life. The fate of MJ's legacy should be discussed at some point in the doc because it is relevant.
This is a documentary about the Thriller album, why would you expect them to discuss his later life or controversies?

Is something else in the pipe? Anthony mentions an interview he did with BBC.🤔
Well, that was frustrating. Tried to find something, found a link to a 2016 BBC interview that Anthony did, followed the link to BBC Sounds but it's inactive, couldn't find anything from 2022 or 2023. Very confused. :(

there’s a section of people who are jealous that ‘thriller’ was the last era that was relatively scandal free. michael’s music and talent spoke for itself. these people will go out of their way to tarnish that, as evidenced by the ‘we are the world’/drugs thread. it’s sad. they’re not fans, and they won’t succeed in their vicious schemes. history cannot be rewritten.

What truth are you talking about?

This definitely confirms you're buffalobill87 lol.

So the intro of Beat It intro should have been credited (unless there was an arrangement between MJ and Denny Yeager)

Denny will be a guest on the YouTube channel of Martinelli

Back