Thriller short film vs. Ghosts short film

love1sfatal

hello august moon where are the stars of the night
the ultimate battle: which one do y'all prefer?

Thriller because it screams 80s and I’m a hugely nostalgic person, I have fond memories of it as an impressionabel kid. What an event it was, people would actually get together to watch this. I don’t think Michael ever topped this video, it was an impossible task.

About Ghosts:
I don’t think the special effects in Ghosts hold up well plus I’m not fond of Michael’s acting and that of the side characters. Nor am I a big fan of the songs 2bad and Ghosts. I also don’t like the stop start nature of the performance, it never gets going.
The dance is really cool and the overall idea is neat but it needed more practical effects and it is too long. imo

I remember the hype though, wonderful times, it debuted on tv right after prime time news because Michael was that big lol. The day after in school people were talking about it during breaks.

Of course Thriller! Its much better. I like BOTDF album, but Ghosts was some kind of 2d try to repeat Thriller's success... It didnt worked out

Ghost is such a autobiographical piece from Michael. I hope there will be a time when documentation shows Michael intention he put in his work.

I mean Thriller is Thriller, but I enjoy Ghosts just as much. The music feels much more personal. The villain was a reflection of Sneddon. 2Bad is an underrated track imo. The choreography was awesome. Thriller changed the industry in so many ways. On its own, Ghosts is a reallly great short film.

Ghosts . 100 percent. Thriller as a song in general I never really liked. I think Ghosts would have been better though if they made it into an actual full length movie. Thriller video was great but again i was just never a fan of the song in general.

thriller’ of course for me. 💜

this thread was already made as a poll back in ‘09. quite a few people participated. I stand by my original statements I made in it..

out of these short films what would u say is mikes best short film?

i go for ghosts,i wish every1 knew about ghosts like they do with thriller.

https://www.mjjcommunity.com/threads/thriller-or-ghosts.67801/

thriller’ of course for me. 💜

this thread was already made as a poll back in ‘09. quite a few people participated. I stand by my original statements I made in it..

out of these short films what would u say is mikes best short film?

i go for ghosts,i wish every1 knew about ghosts like they do with thriller.

https://www.mjjcommunity.com/threads/thriller-or-ghosts.67801/
Ghosts of course,it doesn't get the recognition it deserves,it's so underrated

I read a couple of times that Ghosts is more creative but I don’t agree. It is very straightforward and kind of aimless after a while, just a showcase for computer generated effects.
Hats of naturally for the make up and costume departments.

For me thriller is more creative, it is basically a mindfuck, constantly surprising and you never know which directions it heads in next, plot twist after plot twist. I love how the 4th wall is broken in the end with Michael’s glowing eyes. Its ever twisting direction in plot reminds me of black or white, both directed by John Landis.

Thriller is the most influential and iconic music video ever made.....

Ghosts isn't even in the same league!! I still enjoy it though but there's no comparison.

Ghosts . 100 percent. Thriller as a song in general I never really liked. I think Ghosts would have been better though if they made it into an actual full length movie. Thriller video was great but again i was just never a fan of the song in general.
As much as he spent on it...it should've at least been an hr long or something

I like them both, but I love Ghosts, since it has more plot in it and is related to MJ's personal life. I really feel it when Michael, in costume as the Mayor, says "back to the circus, you freak" to himself.

I have to give it to Ghosts. It’s just a brilliant piece of cinema. Very well thought out and excellently executed. It actually has a real linear plot that not only reflected his own personal battles battles but also touched on the universal themes of the fear of the unknown, being shunned and ostracized from society just because of being deemed “different” or “weird”. It was also very ambitious in terms of effects and the effort MJ put in into playing the different characters. It’s a movie that makes you laugh, makes you dance, makes you think, makes you cry and also scares you. Another thing that also gets overlooked is the score for that piece. The musical cues for different segments in the movie was beautifully executed, especially “the ceiling” score. The only nitpick I have are some of the camera angles for 2Bad. Some cuts and angles can be a bit distracting because that’s one of his best dance choreographies in my opinion and I believe it would be much more effective if we, the audience, could experience it in a more natural, organic way.

In my opinion, MJ achieved exactly what he set out to do with this piece and it’s such a shame this never got the proper release and proper marketing that it deserved. Another sad fact is that it came out during a period where his overall popularity was on a downward spiral, as far as the general audiences goes. So yeah, Ghosts is the goat for me.

'Thriller'! A lot of nostalgia involved but I also like the boy/girl story and interaction and it's just more fun than 'Ghosts'; less serious!
At the time I also thought his appearance was a bit outdated, too much Dangerous era. (maybe because 'Is It Scary?' was Dangerous era..?)

Well, overall Thriller because of the rewatchability and the way I connect lots of nostalgia with the song, the dance and the short film... Objectively tho, I'd say that Ghosts is better produced and written because it bears a deeper meaning within and has more to offer in overall production, choreography and vocally

Thriller is so iconic and a masterpiece way ahead of it's time.

Ghosts is more a short film really - duration time is double of Thriller

I enjoy Ghosts very much and would love it to be played in full on TV during Halloween so more people would now about it.

Instead of the Michael Jackson Halloween animated film they should try to push Ghosts and promote it to TV stations and make many channels broadcast it around Halloween.

Thriller is so iconic and a masterpiece way ahead of it's time.

Ghosts is more a short film really - duration time is double of Thriller

I enjoy Ghosts very much and would love it to be played in full on TV during Halloween so more people would now about it.

Instead of the Michael Jackson Halloween animated film they should try to push Ghosts and promote it to TV stations and make many channels broadcast it around Halloween.
That would not be a good idea (especially after the 'Leaving Neverland' documentary) considering that the 'Ghosts' short film is in a way related to the child sexual abuse accusations against Michael Jackson.

Remember that when these accusations broke out (in August, 1993) they initially put an abrupt end to the production of the 'Ghosts' short film (and also a definitive end to the singer's involvement in the Addams Family Values project).

So, trying now to push the 'Ghosts' short film and even to promote it to TV stations and make many TV channels broadcast it around Halloween would simply reignite these accusations in the people's minds.

That would not be a good idea (especially after the 'Leaving Neverland' documentary) considering that the 'Ghosts' short film is in a way related to the child sexual abuse accusations against Michael Jackson.

Remember that when these accusations broke out (in August, 1993) they initially put an abrupt end to the production of the 'Ghosts' short film (and also a definitive end to the singer's involvement in the Addams Family Values project).

So, trying now to push the 'Ghosts' short film and even to promote it to TV stations and make many TV channels broadcast it around Halloween would simply reignite these accusations in the people's minds.
I don't think the general public knows about it being ended at the time though

Back