72102_162663970564209_110044127_n.jpg

547467_162663960564210_1466585372_n.jpg

529638_162667190563887_330754601_n.jpg

24661_162672243896715_270432861_n.jpg

486804_164613770369229_1123409426_n.jpg

399852_164598590370747_425679287_n.jpg

935094_164598137037459_949498651_n.jpg

:wub:

Trial Period Ends with Permission Granted for Feral Cats to Be Fed on Church Property

The 60-day trial period to evaluate and iron out the details for ongoing care of the feral cat colony at St. James Church in lower Manhattan has concluded. As each of the church’s objections was heard and addressed, a satisfactory arrangement has been found for the peaceful coexistence of all concerned — excepting, of course, the banished rodent population!

During the trial period, the church allowed a proper feeding station to be placed on the property, which immediately improved the sanitary conditions and the ability to keep the area clean. The unusual experiment of introducing a litter box for the feral colony was a success. The church location has lots of paved surfaces without the burying options available that cats prefer, so they welcomed the litter box and started using it immediately. This resolved one of the main concerns of the church. The litter box is a cement mixing pan on a pallet with a hinged roof to protect it from rain and snow. Insulated shelters will be added before winter, and the caretakers are granted daily access to feed the cats (and scoop the litter box). To prevent future problems and misunderstandings that could put the lives of the cats in danger, the channels of communication will be kept open between the church and caretakers to work together to find solutions should a problem arise.

Special thanks to Monsignor Kevin Nelan, the Vicar of South Manhattan, for his guidance in diffusing what had become a seemingly intractable situation. With both sides listening to the other’s concerns and with careful consideration of the facts, it became clear that removing the neutered and vaccinated cats from rodent-infested Chinatown was not in the best interest of the parish or the surrounding community.

His Eminence Timothy Cardinal Dolan weighed in on the situation and made the wise recommendation for Monsignor Nelan to mediate the discussion with the Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals. The situation got a lot of attention through social media, and well over 1,000 e-mails and a flood of phone calls to the Archdiocese made it clear how passionately people cared about the well-being of the cats and how much they wanted the cats to stay and continue to be cared for on the church property.

Fortunately for the cats, their position was a strong one thanks to the timely Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) project implemented by Elizabeth Eller of City Critters, an Alliance Participating Organization, several years ago. After TNR and the taming and adoption of a couple of litters of feral kittens, the colony was stabilized at only eight cats. Given this relatively small number of already neutered and vaccinated cats, the negotiations started on a very strong footing. If they only knew, the cats have Elizabeth to thank as much as anyone for their current good standing in the community.

On behalf of the cats, we’d like to thank each and every person who took the time to e-mail or call on behalf of these cats! Succeeding to defend the St. James colony will surely help the plight of less visible but equally worthy colonies everywhere
http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/wo...-for-feral-cats-to-be-fed-on-church-property/

Re: to catlovers

Cat hospital in Thailand

My cats would love to have shelves on the wall to climb on...and sleep on

Nationell feral cats day 16/10

I think we can make it international, what can you do this day for feral cats?

Kittens from a colony in Sweden.

Pandering for “Likes”
At my presentation a couple of months ago in Buffalo, New York, I noticed something about those who were in attendance that gave me great hope for the future: it was filled with people in positions of authority, the very people who need to take our message seriously in order to create wide and lasting change for animals.
There were politicians (senators and supervisors), city managers, corporation counsels, network broadcasters, public interest lawyers, and members of the Board of Directors of other shelters. In the past, most of these people avoided my speaking engagements because I was considered so “controversial.”
Not anymore.
And with the proliferating number of No Kill communities and with an increasing number of traditional shelter directors attending the No Kill Conference, I feel confident in saying that the tide is turning and we are reaching a new phase in our cause.
This is news to celebrate, as these are the people we need to convince to make our dream a reality.

At the same time this is happening, however, I see a trend on the Facebook pages of some No Kill educational organizations which show them moving away from substance just at the time it is needed most.
Instead of substantive posts, they are posting photos, videos, and stories of animals designed not to empower, but to amuse as these tend to get large numbers of “likes.”
Non-shelter No Kill Facebook pages, if they are to authentically serve the cause they claim to support, should be primarily educational tools, posting material intended to elevate the discussion about shelter killing in the U.S. beyond clichés about pet overpopulation and the importance of spay/neuter.
They need to be followed by a dialogue on those posts to answer questions, clarify confusion, respond to comments, and to provide assistance to activists as needed.

This requires effort, and it can often lead to friction, but, in the end, it is a necessary precursor to change. We shouldn’t judge our effectiveness for the animals based on how many “likes” our Facebook page gets, but on how good of a job it is doing educating people about our mission and how good it is at turning animal lovers into advocates who are armed with the knowledge to succeed in their own hometowns.
I am not stodgy and uptight and I certainly do not want to come off as a curmudgeon. Nor am I suggesting we should never lighten up or take some of the steam out by embracing our whimsical side. I understand how important it is to laugh, to find joy in what we do.
I also understand the need to increase edgerank so that Facebook will show our posts to more people.
But we have to be more, much more, because we aren’t going to achieve No Kill by becoming as hollow and devoid of substance as the large national groups. We aren’t going to end the systematic killing of animals in shelters by doing what the large, national groups do: counting “likes” or “retweets” as signs of influence or impact.

Indeed, I find the current trend toward a majority of postings intended to elicit “Aww, how cute” responses as opposed to “I am going to fight for No Kill” disturbing because they are the very type of non-advocacy for companion animals that we exist to fight. They celebrate and elevate mediocrity and they do little to further our cause. In fact, they hinder it by making us appear as lightweights devoid of strength and substance.

It is one thing for shelters to use humor and photographs as a means of finding homes for rescued animals. It is quite another for animal protection advocacy organizations to appeal to the lowest common denominator as a means of increasing the number of followers.
For in the end, what does it matter how many followers a page has if those followers aren’t being armed with knowledge? Aren’t being turned into No Kill advocates or supporters?
“Like” posts that are funny and ignore those that are serious because Facebook self-selects which posts to show based on who is liking what? I would rather see fewer postings that are thoughtful and eye-opening than so many empty, meaningless ones. That would have the value of not only honing the intended message, but it would also decrease the chances that followers of that page would come to regard postings as nothing more than moments of distraction—a cute video or photo to “like” and go on with their day, ignoring beyond lip-service and hand-wringing the plight of millions of animals systematically being put to death every year in our nation’s so-called “shelters.”

We owe the animals much more than using their images to emotionally manipulate people into “likes” or donations as HSUS, the ASPCA, and others do. We need to arm the activist with the tools he or she needs, inspiring them to the highest aspirations for animals, and empowering them to become effective agents of change. And that means putting an end to the mindless quest for the largest number of “likes” achieved by following the national groups off the cliff into a deep, black void of kitsch.

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=13326
About a month ago a sick, starving cat was found .
Despite good veterinarian care she died.
The association ,KKS who took care of her wrote about it on facebook and started a fundraising in her memory to help other cats.
How I wished that those who wrote R.I.P. had donated at least something,written letters to newspapers, educated people about what happens to homeless cats.

Some cats and kittens who got help.
If it had gone another year it had been hundreds of cats

Baby Lions, Tigers, and Bears Are Not Stuffed Toys

Across the country, the public can pet, feed, pose with, and play with wild animals at malls, fairs, and roadside zoos for fees ranging from $10 to $500. To facilitate such unsafe handling, baby tigers, lions, bears, and primates are pulled from the care of their protective mothers shortly after birth.

When the baby animals can no longer be used as play props, or for photographs -- sometimes after just a few months -- they are often discarded at shoddy roadside zoos, sold into the pet trade, or killed for their meat. This cycle of breeding, exploiting, and then dumping baby animals puts animals at risk and endangers the public.

In response to a legal petition from a coalition of animal protection and conservation organizations -- including The HSUS -- the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is requesting comments on whether to prohibit public contact and close encounters with big cats, bears, and primates. We have received confirmation from the USDA that the agency will extend the comment period after the government shutdown is over. In the meantime, we are collecting letters and will deliver them when the agency reopens.

Please send a message to make them stop
https://secure.humanesociety.org/si...tion&id=6251&autologin=true&s_src=em_ha100813

Sad reality for thousands of big cats in captivity

But we can change that,

There are good people in the world, I wish I could donate to all projects like this

There’s Still Time to Take Part in National Feral Cat Day

Tomorrow’s the big day! How are you going to celebrate National Feral Cat Day®?

With more than 400 events registered nationwide—and with our focus on partnering with shelters to save more cats’ lives—this will be the best National Feral Cat Day® in history. Don’t miss out on your chance to be part of it!

Here are a few ideas of how you can help build safe communities for cats tomorrow:

Attend an event near you to show your support for humane cat care.
Attend our Helping Cats in Your Community Webinar tomorrow at 7 p.m. EDT to learn the basics of Trap-Neuter-Return. If your question is answered during this special National Feral Cat Day® session, you'll receive an Alley Cat Allies t-shirt of your choice!
Share our Facebook posts and retweet our National Feral Cat Day® tweets!
Donate to support National Feral Cat Day® and help protect the lives of cats all year long.
Find more ideas for how to celebrate the big day on our National Feral Cat Day® website.
However you decide to improve the lives of cats tomorrow, be sure to let us and the entire National Feral Cat Day® community know about it. Post about it on Twitter using the hashtag #NFCD2013 and tag us in your Facebook posts. We’ll share some of our favorites!

Sincerely,

Alley Cat Allies

Just thought I'd let the cat lovers out there know that I will be starting volunteer work with the Celia Hammond Animal Trust. I had an induction there last Friday and it was semi overwhelming how many cats they have at this branch's clinic :( They are waiting for building works to finish on a much needed extention because they are overflowing with cats quite literally! They are one of a rare charity in that they don't ever put a cat down needlessly just because it's not been found a home. They have abandoned cats, abandoned kittens, abandoned mothers/kittens and even an entire family (mother & father cat included!). I'll be helping out anywhere I'm needed from cleaning out rooms they have loose cats in, caged cats, assist in the veterinary clinic and the building in general. I've never been more driven to help out! Although the clinic is a 2 hour journey for me to get to from one side of London to the other I am still willing to help out whenever I can at the weekend.

I'll post updates when I can and any pictures I take.

thrillerchild;3919314 said:
Just thought I'd let the cat lovers out there know that I will be starting volunteer work with the Celia Hammond Animal Trust. I had an induction there last Friday and it was semi overwhelming how many cats they have at this branch's clinic :( They are waiting for building works to finish on a much needed extention because they are overflowing with cats quite literally! They are one of a rare charity in that they don't ever put a cat down needlessly just because it's not been found a home. They have abandoned cats, abandoned kittens, abandoned mothers/kittens and even an entire family (mother & father cat included!). I'll be helping out anywhere I'm needed from cleaning out rooms they have loose cats in, caged cats, assist in the veterinary clinic and the building in general. I've never been more driven to help out! Although the clinic is a 2 hour journey for me to get to from one side of London to the other I am still willing to help out whenever I can at the weekend.

I'll post updates when I can and any pictures I take.

[video=youtube;oHCP2TWzG9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oHCP2TWzG9U[/video]

It seems like a great charity for cats.
Thank you for helping them:flowers: I´m looking forward to see some pictures

Last edited:
Why Getting to Zero instead of No Kill
HOW DO “GETTING TO ZERO” AND “NO KILL” DIFFER?
Getting to Zero and the No Kill Equation include similar strategies and both aim to save all healthy and treatable animals in a community, a 90% save rate or more.

G2Z was developed in Australia. During a similar period, the No Kill Equation was developing in the USA. Despite being developed independently, they include similar strategies. This comparability shows the international relevance and effectiveness of these strategies.

The Getting to Zero Model has 4 key structures that help with the implementation of a range of approximately 40 strategies (which include the 11 No Kill strategies).

The following list shows how the 11 No Kill strategies are included in the 4 G2Z structures:

G2Z 1. Community Desexing Clinic and 2. Shelter Clinic help achieve:

1. TNR Program

2. High volume low cost desexing

G2Z 3. A Rehoming Centre incorporates:
3. Rescue groups

4. Foster carers

5. Comprehensive Adoption Programs

6. Pet Retention

7. Medical and Behaviour Prevention & Rehabilitation

9. Volunteers

11. A compassionate director (see the 3 key principles of G2Z)

G2Z 4. Community Education, Legislation and Support Programs include:
8. Public relations/community involvement

10. Proactive redemptions e.g. Animal Management Officers returning animals to their owners and providing advice and support rather than impounding

The term “Getting to Zero” was chosen instead of the term “No Kill” to use in Australia because:

1.No Kill is a term often used by individual shelters and rescue groups who adopt a policy of not killing/euthanasing any animals. To do this they can only take in animals when they have space. This is not the reality for pounds that have varying numbers of abandoned animals to manage, regardless of whether or not they have space.
2.The term Getting to Zero was coined to ensure that the aims and mechanics of the program are clear to supporters, donors, participants and advocates. The more information and the clearer picture of the true situation people have, the more progress can be made.
3.The term “No Kill” implies that no animal is killed/euthanased, ever. This is not likely to be immediately attainable for pounds and therefore is not something local governments can commit to in their strategic plans. However committing to “Getting to Zero” is realistic i.e. moving towards the goal of ending the killing of healthy and treatable cats and dogs, acknowledging that to achieve this in a whole community it takes time, and that there will be up to 10% of stray and abandoned animals who may be euthanased and killed i.e.
a) euthanased in the true sense of the word to relieve irremediable suffering from illness or injury; or

b) killed because they are irremediably aggressive (i.e. have attacked or shown a propensity to attack and severely injure people and other dogs and cats without provocation) or have such severe behaviour that living happily in a home as a family pet is impossible for them.
While there are some differences, Getting to Zero is not in competition with No Kill. G2Z fully supports the No Kill Equation strategies and the wonderful array of resources that this movement offers. There is much to be done, and we are all working to save lives.

Some differences between Getting to Zero and No Kill
Getting to Zero identifies “pet overpopulation” as more animals needing homes at any one time in a particular municipality or community than there are responsible homes offered for those animals. The No Kill movement denies that "pet overpopulation" exists because there are more people looking for new pets each year than there are shelter/pound animals available. However there are other issues that impact on this situation as there are also many breeders and sellers competing with pounds and shelters, and there is not a steady flow of abandoned animals which always matches the number of people looking for a new companion at any one time, particularly in cat breeding season.

While the numbers of abandoned animals are only small compared with the number of pet owners, dogs and especially cats breed faster than the growth in human populations and households.
In saying that,

Getting to Zero is aligned with No Kill in that these mismatches between demand and supply are solvable over time by working with the community to prevent unwanted animals being born; increasing adoption of pound/shelter animals, rather than breeding more; and helping people take better care of existing animals for their whole lives.

Getting to Zero supports legislation which sets standards to reduce the numbers of animals being abandoned, and poorly treated, and increase the numbers of animals who can be cared for to prevent suffering or death. This includes positive well-promoted legislation for breeders, Councils and the general public to encourage social responsibility and care for animals, supported by programs to assist with compliance, such as owner training, information and guidance for breeders, desexing subsidies, desexing and microchipping incentives in registration and stray return/pound release fees and, where necessary, free services. It is an ongoing process to develop and refine legislation and the implementation strategies are just as crucial as the legislation design itself. The No Kill Movement also supports legislation to require Councils to take responsibility for the prevention and care of unwanted animals.

The Getting 2 Zero Model provides for a comprehensive and sustained ongoing cooperative improvement community- wide. It includes and benefits government animal management departments, pounds, shelters, rescue groups, pet shops, breeders, wildlife groups, animal welfare groups and caring individuals to prevent stray and abandoned animals and ensure that those who are stray or abandoned enjoy life
http://www.g2z.org.au/why-getting-to-zero.html

I think getting 2 zero is a better name than no kill.
I don´t want healthy and treatable animals to be killed in animalshelters.
Sometimes there are cat suffering,they are sick, injured and veterinarian care doesn´t help,then the only way is to euthanize them to free them from their torment.
Then I can say put them to sleep, but I wouldn´t say that about a healthy animal.

Last edited:

The small shift went very well! All the cats I met where adorable! I'm waiting for permission to post picture's that I've taken then I'll post a little bit about what I did :)

Back