animals_75_12.jpg

cute-kitten-even.jpg

:wub:

Re: to catlovers

The smallest feline is a masterpiece."
- Leonardo da Vinci

How Young is Too Young?
How old should a kitten be when it goes to a new home?

ISSUES: POTENTIAL PROBLEMS OF EARLY SEPARATION
Problems with immunity and health

"One of my main concerns with early separation is that kittens' immune systems are really developing between eight and twelve weeks of age," says Dr. Arnold.
"The immunity from their mother is wearing off, and the immunity from vaccination is just starting to take over.
During this time, they are more susceptible to illness, such as upper-respiratory problems and diarrhea."
Kittens generally receive vaccinations against panleukopenia, rhinotracheitis, and calici viruses (commonly called the "distemper combination" shot) at six, nine, and twelve weeks of age. However, immunity from vaccination does not happen immediately; shots can take up to ten days to be effective. Up until this time, kittens receive some measure of immunity through antibodies from their mother's milk, but this is also the age where they are beginning to wean.
Their immune system "kicks over" from immunity from mother's milk to immunity from vaccination.
During this time, their immune system is busy with this task, leaving the kitten less able to fight off other illnesses.
"The stress of going to a new home and being exposed to different germs can make the kitten more susceptible to illness during this time," adds Dr. Arnold.

Problems with eating and eliminating

"Weaning isn't an event; it's a process," says Dr. Arnold. "They don't just start eating food one day. They eat a little food, nurse, eat a little, nurse, and so on. Eventually they eat more than they nurse, and then stop nursing altogether. This doesn't happen by six or eight weeks of age."

Left to their own devices, mothers will eventually stop allowing kittens to nurse. With most cats this occurs naturally anywhere from eight to twelve weeks. However, this process is very important, as it teaches the kitten to learn to deal positively with frustration and denial. As the mother starts refusing to allow the kitten to nurse, which the kitten very much wants to do, she teaches the kitten how to cope with that frustration. Kittens who do not learn this lesson may develop behavioral problems.

Weaning is not simply a matter of getting a kitten to eat solid food. It's an important time when the kitten begins to assert its independence from its mother. This needs to be a gradual process.
"For the most part, my babies still nurse at 9 and 10 weeks, and sometime beyond," says Rosi Carroll of Bengals by RoJon. "I have never had a customer call me up after picking up one of my kittens, complaining about the kitten meowing for its mother. They settle right in to their new environment."
It's also common for too-young kittens to eat poorly and have litterbox problems. Many kittens at age six to eight weeks aren't consistently using the litterbox. I have found that my own kittens can take up to ten weeks to have litterbox habits down pat. And diarrhea can accompany the changes in diet and stress that come with a new home. Diarrhea can be life-threatening to a small kitten; severe dehydration and rapid weight loss is a serious problem when one has so little body mass to start.

The kitten socialization phase starts at about four weeks of age and can continue until up to fourteen weeks old. Kittens learn to explore their world through this period, under the comforting guidance of their mother. Between nine and fourteen weeks old, they learn from their mother and siblings how to interact with other cats. They learn how to recognize and interpret cat body language. Quite literally, a cat who misses out on this important social step may not learn how to "talk" to other cats.

It's also during this time when the kitten needs to be exposed to variety of people in a positive way so that it doesn't become afraid of different types of people. Improper early socialization is why some cats seem to be afraid of men, or of people with glasses, or other odd quirks.

Kittens need the time with their mothers and siblings to learn important life lessons - lessons that will make them happy, healthy, confident kittens. "I have seen kittens taken from their mother too young become cloth chewers and neurotic," says June Abbott Colwell of Velpaws Siamese. "[Kittens] not only need to be with their mothers, but also with their siblings. They learn proper acceptable play behavior from both mother and siblings. Kittens taken away too young are not as tolerant or as sure of themselves as older kittens."

There is a long article about it,here it is
http://www.breedlist.com/faq/young.html

Stockholms catshelter, blue and yellow section.The yellow section is the place for ferals and other not so social cats.The doors are open and the cats find security in each other, they get use to humans.
The results are good.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H_nH4mBkOmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

first day in the shelter for Bollen,it´s in march
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ThQFIjRFNjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bollen in June
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6vmaUNBRfZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YEAR OF THE CAT
Written by Shaid
Thursday, 20 October 2011 15:12

If you follow the Vietnamese calendar, you would know that this year, 2011 is the Year of the Cat.
According to the Vietnamese, the Cat symbolizes patience, gentleness, kindness and talent. Apparently, the Cat is also a smooth talker. Imagining this in my mind, I could see how Cats would indeed be talented, smooth talkers. They would make you believe anything, and at the same time, strangely, make you feel good about it. They would blame the family dog for the houseplant that had been chewed or, because it was in the way, simply knocked to the floor. They would blame the trail of hair on the counter, strangely leading to a roasted turkey, on a sudden wind that whirled and spun through the kitchen {the rare Kitchen Tornado}. They would point their paw to the youngest in the household, when you found the shredded roll of toilet paper unspun from its holder, laying all over the bathroom floor. Yes, the Cat has its ways.

Strangely enough, the Cat did not make it into the Chinese calendar. The Rat did though. How could this happen, we Cat lovers wonder? {No offense rat lovers.} And then it becomes clear; the rats must have tricked the Cats, and indeed Ratty did just that. According to legend, the Rat told the Cat the wrong time for the Chinese calendar auditions and the Cat, figuring she had some time, took a little nap. Yes&#8230; the Cat slept in, missing the audition and, ultimately, the Rat took her spot. I&#8217;m sure the Rat did not celebrate too long once the Cat woke and discovered Ratty&#8217;s treachery. {Again, apologies rat lovers.}

Everyone who has a Cat knows that you really don&#8217;t own them; you are simply their staff. You feed them when they tell you, you pat them when they let you and you vacuum, scoop, wipe and mop up after them. And as Cat Lovers, isn&#8217;t it the perfect relationship?... It absolutely is.

So, if you are in need of a great relationship, are willing to add to your family {Cats thrive in multi Cat households and do especially well when there is a canine member}, are loving and reliable, come and see us.

We are SHAID.
They need YOU.

"The Utah state Senate gave thumbs up to a feral cat management bill that cat lovers can applaud. SB 57 sponsored by Sen. Dennis Stowell, (R-Parowan) provides for the humane management of feral cats through Trap, Neuter and Return (TNR). Best Friends Animal Society worked with Sen. Stowell on the bill, which passed 20 to 7.

Under current laws, county shelters are required to hold feral cats for three days before euthanizing them. Stowell's proposal would bypass the three-day holding period and allow feral cats to be immediately eligible for a TNR program.

SB 57 sets up standards for feral cat colonies. Individuals can register to manage feral cats -- trap, spay/neuter and vaccinate -- before releasing them to their original areas. Cats will be ear-tagged to keep track of their colony numbers and to assure that they will not accidentally be euthanized if recaptured.

SB 257 is now on its way to the governor for final signature.

HB 210, the bill which would have allowed the humane shooting of an animal in an unincorporated area of a county if the shooter "has a reasonable belief" the animal is feral, never came up for a vote."

http://www.examiner.com/cats-in-nat...-tnr-feral-cat-bill-bill-to-shoot-ferals-dies

The Vacuum Effect: Why Catch and Kill Doesn&#8217;t Work
Removing cats from an area by killing or relocating them is not only cruel&#8212;it&#8217;s pointless. Animal control agencies and city governments have blindly perpetuated this futile approach for decades.
But scientific research, years of failed attempts, and evidence from animal control personnel prove that catch and kill doesn&#8217;t permanently clear an area of cats.
Scientific evidence indicates that removing feral cat populations only opens up the habitat to an influx of new cats, either from neighboring territories or born from survivors.
Each time cats are removed, the population will rebound through a natural phenomenon known as the &#8220;vacuum effect,&#8221; drawing the community into a costly, endless cycle of trapping and killing.
Years of failed catch and kill policies prove this method&#8217;s ineffectiveness.

Animal control officers all over the country have observed the ineffectiveness of lethal methods firsthand through years of misguided policy.
Joan Brown, President and CEO of the Humane League of Lancaster County (PA), says that her organization made the switch to Trap-Neuter-Return when they started to realize that they were never making any headway with catch and kill.
I finally went to the board and said, &#8216;Where in our mission statement does it say euthanize? Because all we&#8217;re doing is taking [feral cats] in to euthanize them&#8230;we&#8217;re not only doing an inhumane thing, we&#8217;re actually contributing to the problem, creating a vacuum effect that will just be filled again&#8212;and probably at a faster rate than when we started,&#8217;&#8221; says Brown.

Brown says that they noticed it was a never-ending and growing problem, draining their resources and their morale: &#8220;At the very least, we were standing still. That was clear, and it seemed as if we were running forward, but actually moving backward.&#8221;

Other animal control and shelter organizations nationwide have also taken a stand after acknowledging the failed results of their catch and kill efforts. Maricopa County, Arizona&#8217;s animal control website says, &#8220;We have over 20 years of documented proof that traditional ways of dealing with feral cats don't work. The catch and kill method of population control (trap a cat, bring it to a shelter, ask that the cat be euthanized), has not reduced the number of feral cats. The cat may be gone, but now there is room for another cat to move in&#8230;So, catch and kill actually makes the problem worse.&#8221;7 And the Humane Society of Ochocos (Oregon) agrees: &#8220;&#8230;[W]e know now, that more than 30 years of trapping and killing cats has done nothing to reduce the feral cat population.&#8221;8

The National Animal Control Association amended its feral cat policy in 2008 to be more supportive of Trap-Neuter-Return, in part because, as then president Mark Kumpf put it, &#8220;t&#8217;s recognizing that in some cases, certain jurisdictions and communities are more interested in maintaining a stable cat population than they are in simply bailing the ocean with a thimble.&#8221;

He continues: &#8220;What we&#8217;re saying is the old standard isn&#8217;t good enough anymore. As we&#8217;ve seen before, there&#8217;s no department that I&#8217;m aware of that has enough money in their budget to simply practice the old capture and euthanize policy; nature just keeps having more kittens.&#8221; 9

If catch and kill had any long-term effect on cat populations, animal control officers nationwide&#8212;and their leadership organizations&#8212;would have observed it by now. Instead, they are reading the writing on the wall and switching to the method that works.

Trap-Neuter-Return is the responsible, humane method of care for feral cats.

Trap-Neuter-Return stabilizes feral cat populations. The cats are humanely trapped, vaccinated, and neutered, so no more kittens will be born. They are then returned to their original location to live out their lives in their outdoor home. Not only is Trap-Neuter-Return the humane option for feral cats, it also improves cats&#8217; lives by relieving them of the stresses of mating and pregnancy. In the end, unlike catch and kill, TNR works.

It&#8217;s time to stop the killing.

Cities and shelters across America have experienced great success with Trap-Neuter-Return&#8212;it is now official policy for feral cats in Washington, DC, Baltimore, and Chicago. It&#8217;s time to learn from past mistakes and move forward instead of going around in circles&#8212;it&#8217;s time to stop fighting the endless battle of catch and kill and protect cats&#8217; lives.

http://www.alleycat.org/Page.aspx?pid=926

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Sweden it´s not that common to trap and euthanize, instead the cats are shot where there are.
Some manage to escape and when it gets calm again they come back, more kittens are born and after some years it´s time to kill again.
They don´t even care if there are catmothers with little babies hidden somewhere.
If the kittens are lucky they are saved by animalfriends.
But we are doing what we can to stop the killing.
We work with TNR in some places,take in ferals in foster care but it takes time to find people who accept and want to work with ferals.

Male cats can take care of orphaned kittens.
I´ve met several neutered male cats who has been really good with kittens.
I adopted a feral kitten, 5 months old, when my old cats -one female,one male,-were 13 years.
My female cat wasn´t pleased, she wasn´t fighting but she told the kitten it wasn´t welcome.
When the male cat mewed it sounded like hello little friend ,you are welcome.
Ronja, the kitten loved the male cat as long as he lived and thanks t him it was easy to make her tame against me.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IeBUJeunKZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AIyWoVlqY4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can you die of a broken heart?
The grey and white cat at 2:42 first abandoned,got new hme and then she was abandoned again.
Maybe she wasn´t used to be outdoors and not used to live with oter cats,
The world became so scary for her
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e9NPf4bXH94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It doesn´t matter if you are black or white, or black and white
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1KP8j52T_6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I think it´s been 3 years since a few private persons began to help this colony.
Now all the cats have been helped, 35 cats have been spayed/neutered,got vaccin, ID-marks
We don´t have free spay/neuter clinics in Sweden, if you are lucky the veterinarians can give you a special price.
In this case we had fundraisings in a stray catforum.

Is it heaven for cats
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A2l51Bulg3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or Hell
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3CiaB77Axgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I don´t know the truth but I have some questions
Do they vaccinate all cats regulary,do they see all cats every day,even the ferals?
(I had a feral cat who lived with my son and me for 6 weeks before I told him about her , he had no idea about her.Ferals can be really good to hide.)
Cats can be dominant and prevent other low ranking cats to come and get food,are they sure every cat gets food?
Aren´t all cats spayed or neutered?
Do all cat get veterinarian care when it´s needed?
If a cat is very sick or seriously injured ,it`s suffering ,will never recover despite treatments do a veterinarian euthanize them or do they have to suffer until they die of themselves?

Back