To Catlovers

In a statement on May 2 2021 , Barbara Creecy, the minster of South Africa’s Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, acknowledged the “view that the captive lion breeding industry did not contribute to conservation and was doing damage to South Africa’s conservation and tourism reputation.”
With this announcement, the government will stop issuing permits to breed, keep, hunt, or interact with captive lions and is revoking current breeding permits.

Wildlife Aid
Please join us today as we remember not only the human sacrifice of wars and conflict but also the countless animal sacrifices that go alongside them.
Animals have always played a part in human conflict. As of November 2018, 70 animals have received the 'Dickin Medal' for gallantry, including 32 pigeons, 31 dogs, 5 horses and one cat.
Over 16 million animals fought alongside man in WWI with 9 million of these tragically never making it back home. 100,000 of these were homing pigeons, tasked with carrying crucial messages across enemy lines; a task in which they had a 95% success rate where others failed.
Their jobs helped troops relay their positions and tactics to higher command and played a vital role in making WWI and WWII how we remember them today. It seems a shame with their noble pedigree that some still consider them ‘vermin’, today…

Adorable Paws

There are dozens of kittens all over here. It's like kitten street. Hungry, poor and unhealthy kittens. Adult cats here are not neutered. Because people here think that spaying cats is a sin. Despite this opinion, they do not feed cats and kittens. They do not make an effort to treat them. It seems that these people did not fully grasp the meaning of the word sin. What do you think? Is it a sin to neuter adult cats? Or is it a sin to starve kittens? Is it a sin to ignore sick cats in need of help? #kittenrescue #catrescue #adorablepaws This is not where I live. I reported the sick kittens you watched in the video to the municipal veterinarians. As a result of long efforts, I had the sick kittens treated by the municipal veterinarians. I submitted a detailed report and petition to the municipality on sterilization. But I don't know if I will be successful. The important thing is not a change in management, but a change in mentality. The important thing is to eliminate ignorance. Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil. – Plato – There is no darkness, but ignorance. – William Shakespeare – Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. – Martin Luther King, Jr. – Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace. – Dalai Lama –

Ioannis don´t speak much English that´s why Adriana-who worked at the shelter for several months-help him with voice overs in the videos.

New law passes to help protect cats in Manatee County​

BRADENTON, Fla. (WWSB) - Cats in Manatee County neighborhoods now have some legal protection, thanks to the County Commission.

On Tuesday, commissioners approved a new ordinance that prevents the killing of feral cats. The changes are a result of a Manatee County woman’s loss and efforts to save other cats from the same fate.

Melody Sweetman Carpenter takes care of the cats in her Bradenton neighborhood. To her surprise, one year ago, one of her favorite furry friends, Lucee, went missing.
“We had four kitten who were at my house and two were a couple of houses down the road,” she said. “We had been taking care of them for about year and half. We had them trapped and neutered and then returned. We had their rabies vaccinations.”
“One of the neighbors decided she didn’t want one of the cats in her yard,” said Carpenter. “So, she took it upon herself to have a professional trapper and removed.”
Carpenter never saw Lucee again. She was devastated.

She reached out to local law enforcement but was told what happened was completely legal.
“She called me and said by law, the neighbor was able to do that,” said Carpenter. “Anybody can do that. If a cat gets in your yard and you don’t want it in your yard, you can call and get it removed. It can be euthanized. Or, they can remove it to another place. They can pretty much do what they want with it, as long as it is done humanely.”

When Carpenter learned that wasn’t the case with other animals, she knew something had to be done.
“If a bat, various birds, deer or bobcat gets on your property, you are not allowed to trap those,” said Carpenter. “But, you are allowed to trap these cats.”
For the past year, she has been contacting local and state lawmakers and working with Manatee County Animal Services.
Her hard work paid off.

“We made some changes to the ordinances,” said Sarah Brown, division chief with Manatee County Animal Services. “Now if you trap a cat, you can only trap it for the purpose of trap, neuter and return. You can bring them to your local humane society or animal services. We’ll make sure they get a rabies vaccine; an ear tip and they will be sterilized. Really, the only way to reduce that population is sterilization of the cat.”
Brown said now that the ordinance is passed, they’ll be working to educate the community.

“We are going to do our part to educate pest control companies and trappers to make sure we are keeping cats in our community safe and to make sure everyone is in compliance of our ordinance,” said Brown.

The new ordinance is named in honor of Lucee, the cat who was taken from Carpenter’s neighborhood.
It stands for “Let’s Unite Cats Everywhere Endlessly.”
“Animals don’t have a voice and now we are their voice,” said Carpenter. “It takes a village and now I feel like we are getting the village together.” If anyone violates this new law, they will receive a minimum of a $500 fine.
Manatee County Animal Services is now taking donation to help feral cats.

All TNR-cats don´t stay in their colony their whole life, some of them find their own family
Cole and Marmalade

There’s another ginger in the house! … Bond as been a visitor for a couple of years meow, we think the catnip we grow in the backyard is what made him stick around and then of course I fed him in the mornings before I set off to feed my other feral colonies… We TNR’d him (Trap Neuter Return) and we slowly gained his trust and he got super friendly! … We didn’t want to bring him inside while Cole was sick (didn’t want Cole to be stressed even in the slightest) and as many of you know we’re currently renovating a house so figured we’d wait until we moved, but then we had to say goodbye to Cole in October and it got cold here in Florida. Even though we put Bond on the porch at night so he was safe and he had heated shelters, we decided to take the leap now since renovations on the house are going to take a long time, we can integrate him into the gang here first and then when we move they can all explore the new space together! A new house and a “new” cat isn’t how I thought we were going to be starting the year, but we think Cole is keeping us busy and it was meant to be, so welcome to the family Goldenballz Bond!

Cats are curious, they can rip you to shreds while you're petting them and it doesn't make you love them any less

Back