To those who were around in the 80s: how would you compare the global success of Thriller with the success of the 1997 blockbuster Titanic?

StarlightXX

Proud Member
I grew up as a child in the 90s and knew very well the cultural impact of the 1997 movie Titanic. I thought it was insane to see people lining up for hours at the video store, waiting to get a copy of the VHS, and the publicity was ongoing for longer than any film at the time.

Now I look at Thriller’s success in the 1980s and that looked incredible and outwordly as well, seeing people of all ages and generations idolising Michael. I’m sure it must have been an exciting time to be alive in the 80s. Considering the success was of an album and music video, not a movie, of course the context would be different.

To experience the cultural impact of the Titanic movie in the 90s is comparable to the cultural impact of Thriller in the 80s?

I grew up as a child in the 90s and knew very well the cultural impact of the 1997 movie Titanic. I thought it was insane to see people lining up for hours at the video store, waiting to get a copy of the VHS, and the publicity was ongoing for longer than any film at the time.

Now I look at Thriller’s success in the 1980s and that looked incredible and outwordly as well, seeing people of all ages and generations idolising Michael. I’m sure it must have been an exciting time to be alive in the 80s. Considering the success was of an album and music video, not a movie, of course the context would be different.

To experience the cultural impact of the Titanic movie in the 90s is comparable to the cultural impact of Thriller in the 80s?
You can't really compare the both. One was a motion picture shown in cinemas the other was a long music video (or short film if you will) that you could watch daily on MTV. Thriller and MJ definitely had a much bigger impact on pop culture and the video was first of its kind. Titanic was a highly successful blockbuster like other movies also have been in the past, nothing really avantgarde about it.

Last edited:
You can't really compare the both. One was a motion picture shown in cinemas the other was a long music video (or short film if you will) that you could watch daily on MTV. Thriller and MJ definitely had a much bigger impact on pop culture and the video was first of its kind. Titanic was a highly successful blockbuster like other movies also have been in the past, nothing really avantgarde about it.
It can’t be compared with any album or music video before or after thriller so the OP has to look elsewhere. In movie history there have been several game changers like Jaws, Star Wars, ET, Jurassic Park or Titanic.

I think in terms of pure hype Thriller‘s success was perfectly comparable with any of these movies in terms of cultural and historical impact.

OK maybe Nirvana’s Nevermind had a similar impact. I remember even my Eurodance and techno loving sister buying a Grunge album which was an insane thought at the time lol

But in general with music it is not one particular record that makes waves it is usually an artist as a whole like Elvis’ rise to worldwide megastardom in 1956, The Beatles in 1963. I can’t really say how big the impact of more recent megastars was like Justin Bieber, Beyonce or now Taylor Swift. I guess only time will tell.

Good gravy, no.

There is absolutely no way that Michaels impact on the music industry and pop culture in general in the 1980's can be compared to a film release.

Titanic was pretty much just a phenominal movie based on true events. Those true events were fascinating to everyone due to the mystery of it all.

Thriller-mania was more like an ongoing holiday that lasted a good 2-3 years or so. Especially in the big city where I lived. Vendor stands on every corner were selling Thriller posters and T-shirts and playing the music from Thriller, every day. To me, it felt somewhat like Christmas, with a 'festive' vibe to it. Just like how radio stations all play Christmas songs for the weeks prior to Christmas then after Christmas it all stops. With Thriller, radio stations played the music non-stop for weeks, months, years on end and the T-shirts and posters were everywhere for quite a while. I imagine it was the most investment any company ever made in promotion of an album. And phenominally, there wasn't ever a Thriller tour! Just the short films which in themselves, was also a new phenomena, thanks to MJ's breakthrough with MTV. That made Thrillermania live even longer than it probably would have. Overall, it was quite a fascinating thing indeed.

I'd say you can't compare. It was a different time. Those without MTV (in the UK, that was nearly everyone) actually had a hard time watching Thriller. You'd probably see a 10-second clip and that was it. It was very rare. I was a kid in the early 80s and I just about knew the Beat It video from TOTP (which was a show that was on TV once a week for 30 mins).

I was born in 1980, and didn't first hear any of Michael's music until I was 8 years old (my uncle had a cassette tape of some songs). I loved it back then, and that early experience definitely set the stage, for my being the remaining fan I am now. But because I was so young at the time, I couldn't comprehend the global impact - it was totally lost on me. I don't think I even learned about the Jackson 5 until I was 10 or so, and even now I've only heard a few of the group's songs.

I was a teen in the 90 s and My neighbour had a book of leonardo decaprio articles and I asked her to pull out her teen magazine pile. when I left 2 MJ posters were on her wall and Leo went in the trash. after one month she was able to make 3 clip books for MJ And is still his fan. yes, I may have told her leonarndo decaprio is antisemitic, but I didn’t really need that argument to win.

Last edited:
I was a teen in the 90 s and My neighbour had a book of leonardo decaprio articles and I asked her to pull out her teen magazine pile. when I left 2 MJ posters were on her wall and Leo went in the trash. after one month she was able to make 3 clip books for MJ And is still his fan. yes, I may have told her leonarndo decaprio is antisemitic, but I didn’t really need that argument to win.
He isn’t antisemitic. He actually has quite good values, from what I’ve seen.

Edit: Grammar.

Last edited:
He isn’t antisemitic. He actually have quite good values, from what I’ve seen.

Yeah, I did a quick Google search on the phrase "Leonardo DiCaprio antisemitic", and one of the articles that came up detailed how at a certain point, he was dating (and possibly even considering marrying) a high-profile Jewish model.

He isn’t antisemitic. He actually has quite good values, from what I’ve seen.

Edit: Grammar.
Yeah, I did a quick Google search on the phrase "Leonardo DiCaprio antisemitic", and one of the articles that came up detailed how at a certain point, he was dating (and possibly even considering marrying) a high-profile Jewish model.

like you guys really know how to take the fun out of everything.
we were 14 and I was trying to get her to ditch Leo and go MJ and it worked.

Back