Unpopular opinions about MJ’s music?

I Don't agree with you when it comes to Bad though. I just can't stop loving you, Liberian Girl, Fly Away, I'm So Blue, Scared Of The Moon are some examples of a different writing style from MJ.

From some source I don't remebmer I though the MJ's version of "Fly away" was recorded in 1994. And he didn't write "Scared of the moon", it was written by Buz Kohan (or something like that), same person wrote "You were there" and "Gone too soon".

michael didn't write all his songs. but that doesn't make him less than an artist etc. prince fans like to shove that in mj fans faces.... both artists were great in their own way.

Childhood the song and video should have stayed in the vault. Cringeworthy moment for MJ at the time IMO

Nvm I'm tired and thought we were talking about a different song lmao

Last edited:
while everyone has their own opinions about childhood. i see nothing wrong with it. as someone who suffer with mental health. all michael was trying to do tell his fans and people that he didn't have an childhood. i don't see it no different how other people write song about their culture etc. so what makes michael so different he was childlike. i'm childlike and while some people don't understand me there's people who do. especially now since we live in an different time. i actually feel bad for michael. the 90's was awesome but kind of bad for people who had problems like michael or people like me. i'm not saying michael had any disorders or anything but he did have some mental health problems he did address.

From some source I don't remebmer I though the MJ's version of "Fly away" was recorded in 1994. And he didn't write "Scared of the moon", it was written by Buz Kohan (or something like that), same person wrote "You were there" and "Gone too soon".

MJ co-wrote for "Scared of the moon" with Kohan. Yes, this is not a solo writing.

also i don't see why michael was so different from everyone else. i'm pretty sure everyone watch cartoons, collect comics, go to disneyland etc. eh. i don't get it but hey. he was a big kid at heart.

... watch cartoons, collect comics, go to disneyland etc.

Oh no, not everyone does that.
But that shouldn't make one weird if they do. And nowadays, a lot of grownup are much geekier (more childlike as you mention) in various ways... So that would be easier for public opinion I guess. Yet back then, pointing at someone like him was a way to sell "news"...

I never seen anything wrong with "Childhood".

Oh no, not everyone does that.
But that shouldn't make one weird if they do. And nowadays, a lot of grownup are much geekier (more childlike as you mention) in various ways... So that would be easier for public opinion I guess. Yet back then, pointing at someone like him was a way to sell "news"...

I never seen anything wrong with "Childhood".

what you mean? everyone has something about them that make them childish. i don't care what it is. we all been kids. if not then their parents were different from other parents. like michael said we all products from our childhood. when i was little i was a picky eater. now i'm older and still an picky eater. there was nothing wrong with michael. yes he didn't have an childhood but aside that he was normal human being. he was unique. i go to therapy every two weeks and they said that's perfectly normal.

we all weird in some way. :tongue:

what you mean? everyone has something about them that make them childish. i don't care what it is. we all been kids. if not then their parents were different from other parents. like michael said we all products from our childhood. when i was little i was a picky eater. now i'm older and still an picky eater. there was nothing wrong with michael. yes he didn't have an childhood but aside that he was normal human being. he was unique. i go to therapy every two weeks and they said that's perfectly normal.

we all weird in some way. :tongue:

Believe me, I know that people who got a ****ed-up childhood do not necessarily compensate and don't necessarily get a childish side...
Which does not mean that it's weird when it happens.

If we're all products of our childhood, it's not necessarily parents fault ... maybe it's their parents ... and how many generations should you go back.
I think we're partly products of multiple things: traits we get when we are born, as well as the whole context of our childhood, and parents are just a part of the context. But also I think we continue evolving after childhood.

Not sure about some parts of your message, I think we agree, I was also saying that there was nothing wrong with Michael, but I think he met a lot of wrong people and that may have changed him to some extent.

Last edited:
Childhood the song and video should have stayed in the vault. Cringeworthy moment for MJ at the time IMO

I think Childhood has a very sweet and emotional melody. I don't have much issue with the video, although I haven't seen it in years. But the lyrics of Childhood are pure cringe especially this line "Before you judge me, try hard to love me". Why would people who criticise and judge him harshly love him? That made no sense to me.

"Before you judge me, try hard to love me". Why would people who criticise and judge him harshly love him? That made no sense to me.

It's true that, taken literally, the second part of this line is ineffective.
But there are multiple ways to "read" it... I usually understand it as "Try to understand me before you judge me".

Now it comes from someone who suggests that people should all "love" each other. Probably someone who thinks or wishes that, by default, everyone will first try to be positive to everyone else and try to understand how they really feel ... so he sees no reason to hold a defensive stance ... and then he gets bad surprises and hurts because there are always people who will hate you for all kinds of reasons no matter who you are, or that will use you ... I know because I have that "problem" and based on interviews, I think Michael had the same. From that point of view, that line makes more sense.

I also understand it as "Try to see me as I am before you judge me based on the rumors etc."

I can often be picky and "unsatisfied" about lyrics, even those from excellent songwriters including MJ... but songs should be given a certain degree of freedom.

This one is very minor flaw, I think.

Last edited:
Wow - Childhood is truly beautiful and one of MJs most introspective songs. You can tell it really came from his heart.

Surprised to read that!

i think michael surround himself with the wrong people. his mother said she told her children how to love but she forgot to tell them about the world. she didn't prepare them and that's why the kids struggled mostly michael. michael and his brothers and sisters stories are so sad. alot child stars tend to always have bad lives.

i'm not putting all the blame on michael mom but his father. i know different time but she should of said something. i'm so sorry the kids had to go though that.

Last edited:
Maxym;4318146 said:

Yes that is correct I forgot about Buz Kohan being the writer for that song. Fly away was recorded for the Bad album and was later given to Rebbie for her album in 98 :)

Can’t believe what I’m reading about childhood. It’s one of his most beautiful, heartfelt songs imo. It could have been on a soundtrack for a Disney movie.

Blue Gangster and Don't Be Messin' Round are just okay songs.
Butterflies is overrated within the fandom

I actually don't like Butterflies. I don't think it's meant to be a "male" song, to be honest.
MJ's vocals help to sell it, but the song itself is not up to his usual standard, IMO.

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Michael should have stopped having rappers guest star on his albums after Dangerous.

This makes me laugh. I have a love-hate relationship with the "rappers on the album" concept. Sometimes I'm feeling it and sometimes I'm not. I don't think they add much value, in any of the songs, really. It might have been interesting to hear Michael do the rap verses himself, actually.

I think the childhood film is really embarrassing and following the 1993 stuff was a mistake.

analogue;4310394 said:
Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Michael should have stopped having rappers guest star on his albums after Dangerous.

Mikky Dee;4318216 said:
This makes me laugh. I have a love-hate relationship with the "rappers on the album" concept. Sometimes I'm feeling it and sometimes I'm not. I don't think they add much value, in any of the songs, really. It might have been interesting to hear Michael do the rap verses himself, actually.

Commercially, it made sense.

Although the "rappers on the album" concept does not add much value in his songs, yet this concept had some commercial purposes and benefits for Michael Jackson.

He did that as a way for him to broaden his audience, especially by attracting more (and younger) listeners, but also he did that so as to attract fans of the specific rappers.

For instance, with Heavy D’s rap section (‘Jam’ song), or, with The Notorious B.I.G.’s rap sections (‘This Time Around’, ‘Unbreakable’), Michael Jackson attracted more (and younger) listeners, but also fans of these rappers (this is known as crossover music).

Heavy D and The Notorious B.I.G. commercially were both very successful rappers at that time, and Michael Jackson took advantage of that.

Aside the commercial aspect, a rap section (performed by a guest rapper) in his songs also acts as a bridge in the song (and it also allows the song to breathe for a while).

rumandraisin;4318220 said:
I think the childhood film is really embarrassing and following the 1993 stuff was a mistake.

Couldn’t disagree more. After 1993 the only thing he should’ve done was stop the sleepovers.

The creative side of Childhood and everything around it is fine.

I think the problem with Invincible's guest rappers was the fact that they were featured on three tracks that came one after the other. If those three tracks were spread out throughout the album then maybe the guest rappers on Invincible wouldn't have felt too overkill.

Blue Gangster and Don't Be Messin' Round are just okay songs.

Regarding "Don't be messin' round", I don't even consider it as a finished song... more like a background track demo. Haven't listened to it for a while.

I actually don't like Butterflies. I don't think it's meant to be a "male" song, to be honest.
MJ's vocals help to sell it, but the song itself is not up to his usual standard, IMO.

Yes, agreed! I think it's just an OK song, but at some point it got me thinking... how did that Mariah Carey song lost its way in here? (And that impression did not come from title similarities.)

Regarding This Time Around, I just learned recently that it has a famous tenor singer at the same time as the rapper. It's just so burried in the mix that I never really noticed.

Last edited:
I think the problem with Invincible's guest rappers was the fact that they were featured on three tracks that came one after the other. If those three tracks were spread out throughout the album then maybe the guest rappers on Invincible wouldn't have felt too overkill.

I love invincible but the opening 3 feel the same with their structure.

dam2040;4318224 said:
Couldn’t disagree more. After 1993 the only thing he should’ve done was stop the sleepovers.

The creative side of Childhood and everything around it is fine.

same. he should of let the parents come with their kids if they wanted to sleepover Neverland. which he did. anyway we'll going off topic.

in my opinion butterflies is a great song. it's one of my favorite MJ songs. yes i do agree it is overrated in the fandom but so is invincible for many reasons. butterflies seem like unsex song. i think an man or women can sing it. but since michael singing it i see him singing to an female. some michael songs it really up to you to figure out if he haven't told the story behind it.

Back