Unpopular opinions about MJ’s music?

Michael was always innocent. SIM came out history era not dangerous. so i doubt he was talking about that in the song though those lies really hurt it him so i guess.

Pretty sure we can all agree that he was innocent or else we probably wouldn’t be here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KgB;4311675 said:
- The "beggar boy" line in SIM is unfortunate

Anna;4311758 said:
Back in the day when I had doubts that line used to bug me.

By that logic, a specific moment from his ‘HIStory’ promo video teaser can also be seen as unfortunate because of the accusations against him at the time.

I am talking about the video's moment where a little boy utters to him the words ‘Michael, I love you’, and this boy is actually the only person to speak in that video.

These are misguided perceptions, and I agree with Professor Susan Fast who wrote in her book that Michael Jackson clearly did not care about misguided perceptions (regarding both that line from ‘Stranger In Moscow’ and the boy’s words from the ‘HIStory’ promo video teaser).

Re: The Jacksons

I did not ask for what you think. The thread is called "unpopular opinions" and that is mine. You just proved it is unpopular with your comment. I don't care about "commercial value" or whether you think they add anything, that's your opinion. I care about the music and I actually like The Jacksons/Jackson 5, unlike some people here. I have all of Jermaine's solo albums and I wish he hadn't of left the group either. But Jermaine did later return and did 2 albums with the group while still releasing solo albums.

As far as Mike's solo career goes, he didn't have much of one. After Thriller, he released 4 albums in a 27 year period. So being in The Jacksons wouldn't have made much of a difference in him releasing his solo albums. On Motown, in some years, there were multiple albums. So Mike released more albums in a 7 year period on Motown, than the 33 years on CBS/Sony, including The Jacksons albums. Plus there's still over 200 unreleased songs on Motown.

Well, yes....it's an "unpopular opinions" thread, but you can't expect others to not have an opinion about your opinion. LOL This is a discussion board, after all.

I have never heard another single person (other than you) say that they wish Michael had stayed with the Jacksons, or the Jackson 5, OR to say that Michael didn't have much of a solo career. It's not always about the quantity of albums that are churned out by an artist, IMO - in MJ's case, it's about the quality. His global popularity and his sales, even today, are testament to that.

What is the problem with the beggar boy line?

I'd like to know, as well. I cannot see anything wrong with it, at all.

If we're going to start scouring lyrics for something "unfortunate", I'm sure we'll always find something, if we look hard enough. But that's US finding meanings that simply aren't there and weren't there, in Michael's mind, when he wrote the words.

In itself, nothing. It's a lovely line and the song is definitely in my top 5 favorites. But because of that line only, it's not the song I would for example recommend to someone who is on the fence about Michael.

Don't forget the name of the thread

Yeah, this.

I think you are looking too deep into this. It was nothing but a random line about some beggar boy calling his name. Would it bother you if MJ said beggar girl instead of beggar boy?

I said back in the day. I didn't say it bothered me now.

KgB;4311770 said:
Pretty sure we can all agree that he was innocent or else we probably wouldn’t be here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say anything on this forum nowadays without people piling on. It's just sad.

I have a very unpopular opinion and that is HIStory is MJ's greatest album because of how it basically describes his whole life between '93 and '95.

Mikky Dee;4311807 said:
I have never heard another single person (other than you) say that they wish Michael had stayed with the Jacksons, or the Jackson 5, OR to say that Michael didn't have much of a solo career. It's not always about the quantity of albums that are churned out by an artist, IMO - in MJ's case, it's about the quality. His global popularity and his sales, even today, are testament to that.
You must be one of those people that think that sales & popularity automatically means that something is better than another. So in that case McDonald's is the best food in the world. :laughing: How much something sold or how popular it is has to do with a promotional department of a company. If the same exact Thriller album was released on a label like Malaco, it would not have sold much because they do not have the same reach, power, or money as CBS.

Drake has more hits than anyone else in the USA, so does that mean his music is better than Miles Davis? Miles has no hit singles, but his career lasted many decades. Vanilla Ice's To The Extreme album sold more than any album by The Jacksons/J5, Stevie Wonder, Dolly Parton, Aretha Franklin, and many other artists. So the music of Vanilla Ice must be superior to those other artists.
Beyoncé, Kanye West, & Jay-Z has won more Grammys than Mike, The Beatles, Madonna, Aretha Franklin, etc. Sooner or later, Beyoncé might have more Grammys than anyone else in history. She already has more nominations than any other female artist. Milli Vanilli won a Grammy too. People who only care about how much a record sold get upset about stuff like the Eagles Greatest Hits being said to be the biggest selling album. I don't care about that, it has nothing to do with the music on the records. It's statistics. Music is not sports, there are no winners or losers determined by how fast they run or how many points they got. It's not a competition like that. Just because one record sold more than the other does not mean the less popular record is bad or less quality.

Can't say anything on this forum nowadays without people piling on. It's just sad.

Not just here but in every other MJ fan forum people are used to behaving like that. Which is weird, but ok.

Mjjpikagurl;4311823 said:
I have a very unpopular opinion and that is HIStory is MJ's greatest album because of how it basically describes his whole life between '93 and '95.

I probably agree with this. The songwriting is flawless, it has some of his best ever songs and it’s probably his most meaningful music. It’s what I go back to the most.

Plus I love all the promotion from the era with the statue. I used to have a cardboard cutout a store gave me in my front room. It was huge!

mj_frenzy;4311806 said:
By that logic, a specific moment from his ‘HIStory’ promo video teaser can also be seen as unfortunate because of the accusations against him at the time.
Yep. But this thread is about his music, so let's not get into that.

dam2040;4311830 said:
I probably agree with this. The songwriting is flawless, it has some of his best ever songs and it’s probably his most meaningful music. It’s what I go back to the most.

Plus I love all the promotion from the era with the statue. I used to have a cardboard cutout a store gave me in my front room. It was huge!

The HIStory album is just so underrated. From the reviews that I have read it really sounded like that the critics wanted another "Thriller" or "Bad" album. Don't get me wrong, I love those albums but I feel like that would have been the wrong type of album for MJ to record at that time.

I'd have to agree that "Off the Wall" is my least favorite of his adult albums, but that's not saying that it's bad. It's the one I listen to the least. If I had to choose my favorite, I'd say Dangerous.

I don't agree Off the Wall is his least best adult album (I prefer that to "worst" as there is no such thing as a Worst Michael Jackson album, they are all masterpieces and a testament to his talent and appeal) to me thats Blood on the Dancefloor as its just 5 new songs (Okay 3 of them are brilliant, 1 is good and 1 is basically a filler - Superfly sister), on it are basically 8 unlistenable mixes.

OFTW is a great album and has no filler, all the songs gel and vibe, yes it sounds dated because its from 1979 - by 1979 standards its miles ahead of everyone else. I even like Girlfriend, because despite the mediocre songcraft, Michael sings it well and its on the right side of cute.

As for Invincible, yes there's a few lesser cuts there - but also many highlights. The other thing about Invincible is his voice which just soars. In addition to all his dancing and showmanship along with songcraft, we can forget that he was one of the very best singers of all time and gems like Speechless, Break of Dawn, Heaven can wait, Butterlies and Whatever Happens, Michaels voice is aaarrrgggggg!!!

One unpopular opinion I have is I can't really listen to Thriller anymore as it was just so overplayed. Don't get me wrong Billie Jean and Beat it yes and even separate songs sans Thriller the song. But the whole album is a chore. I will either listen to single cuts or maybe the lesser known songs like Lady in my Life and Baby be mine as both cuts never got the exposure the rest did.

Also that I consider The way you make me feel, his best ever song and I have caught so much flak for that. I just love it, such a quintessential MJ song that has everything, all the noises, awesome dancing, a enjoyable pop melody, great beats and Michael is all over it.

I agree. Thriller is overrated. it's one of my favorite albums and his best album of all time. but it is overrated.

I think what he achieved with the album is why it is the biggest album of all time, the marketing, the image crafting and control, the videos etc. But it's not my favorite. I would never go out of my way to hear the title track or Beat It. I love Baby Be Mine and WBSS, of course Billie Jean I have heard just too many times to really enjoy it now. I understand the importance and sonic quality of the album. It is superb. But its always gonna be Dangerous for me as my go to album. The ballads are at their most sugary, the beats as hard as ever and his voice is just perfection the whole way through. There really isn't a weak song on it.

rumandraisin;4312735 said:
The ballads are at their most sugary. There really isn't a weak song on it.

Yep... Like Heal The World, everytime I hear it somewhere (cause I don´t listen to it at home on purpose) my teeth wants to jump out of my mouth....
So for me the weak points are HTW and CLHGA :)

After watching a few victory tour clips on youtube. i agree with DuranDuran. maybe michael should of stay with his brothers. i'm not saying his solo tours are bad (no pun) or anything. but i do see a differences between him with his brothers and him solo.

i know him and his brothers didn't have a good relationship.

The HIStory album is just so underrated. From the reviews that I have read it really sounded like that the critics wanted another "Thriller" or "Bad" album. Don't get me wrong, I love those albums but I feel like that would have been the wrong type of album for MJ to record at that time.

I agree. Not only does the HIStory album have stuff that was new, but it also had stuff from OTW, Thriller, and Bad. I love the content that the HIStory album contained.

I think Burn This Disco Out is the weakest track on Off The Wall.

I agree. Not only does the HIStory album have stuff that was new, but it also had stuff from OTW, Thriller, and Bad. I love the content that the HIStory album contained.

to real history was suppose to be a solo album. the only reason old songs was together because sony want it him to do an greatest hits album.

mj_frenzy;4310388 said:
I would say that Michael Jackson should have never included on that album his ‘Gone Too Soon’ cover song, simply because that album was his most creative album (at least, up to that point) meaning that cover songs should have had no place in it.
I love GTS. I would have preferred he drop the over-acted SOOML from the setlist and replace it with GTS.

analogue;4310391 said:
Butterflies is overrated within the fandom
To be honest, I think some people only like songs that are singles. Since Invincible had so few singles, people don't know what to like, so they gravitate towards the one that had a remix.

SmoothCriminal1995;4310672 said:
The high points like, Break Of Dawn, You Rock My World and Whatever Happens are classics but a large majority of the album is filler compared with the rest of Michael's discography
As others have said, everything from Dangerous onwards is very long. You could have 16 songs on Invincible, or 12 great songs...

Smooth72;4311472 said:
Invincible is over produced and should have had more real instrumentation.
You've made me remember that I would have really liked to see an MTV Unplugged performance. No dancing. No magic tricks. Just Michael sitting on a chair playing piano or guitar for 90 mins, perhaps with just 2 or 3 other musicians onstage.

There’s only one truly perfect album in existence, and it’s Thriller. Even though it’s not my favorite MJ album, I wouldn’t change a single second on it. All of MJ’s other albums have at least one song that I could do without. But Thriller is flawless.

R1chard;4316941 said:
I love GTS. I would have preferred he drop the over-acted SOOML from the setlist and replace it with GTS.

‘Gone Too Soon’ being in the setlist would have made the BAD and Dangerous concerts a rather sad (if not depressing) experience for the audiences that attended them.

‘She's Out Of My Life’ (even though it was over-acted) was a better choice for his concerts.

R1chard;4316941 said:
As others have said, everything from Dangerous onwards is very long. You could have 16 songs on Invincible, or 12 great songs...

Rodney Jerkins revealed that it was solely Michael Jackson’s idea for the ‘Invincible’ album to be so long apparently because the singer felt that this album would be his last studio album (which proved to be true).

In fact, most criticism about that album has to do the album’s pace which drags out with all those many mid-tempo songs/ballads.

R1chard;4316941 said:
You've made me remember that I would have really liked to see an MTV Unplugged performance. No dancing. No magic tricks. Just Michael sitting on a chair playing piano or guitar for 90 mins, perhaps with just 2 or 3 other musicians onstage.

But it is a well-known fact that Michael Jackson could not play any musical instruments at all (including guitar, or piano).

He only posed few times with a guitar, or a piano but this was just for the sake of the photo shoots themselves.

Also, in the ‘I'll Be There’ Pepsi Commercial he does not actually play the piano (he only pretends to play it).

While gone to soon is a nice and also sad song. i agree. i mean i know it was dedicated to his friend ryan while who die from aids but at sametime it doesn't fit the setlist in my opinion. i had no problem of the song being on the dangerous album.

Back