Unreleased Songs Info

^^ 10 songs weren't recorded by Michael/will.i.am. 10 weren't even written.

Michael and will.i.am apparently came up with eight song "concepts" (i.e., lyrics, melodies). The recurring rumor regarding them is that three were finished vocally and one is about 75% completed, though that hasn't been officially confirmed as of yet.

"Miss You" is almost certainly one of them.

With Will.i.am we know 3 completed songs... the rest could be at any stage of production..

You know what would be interesting.. on topic but slightly not... If someone could take the Peter Pan song Michael sings in that interview, drown out any background sound and compose a song with that...

You know what would be interesting.. on topic but slightly not... If someone could take the Peter Pan song Michael sings in that interview, drown out any background sound and compose a song with that...

Is that what he was singing? I had no idea haha.

i'll have to get that Making Michael book myself, seems like an interesting read

Which book gives a better and more accurate insight on Michael's music career? Making Michael or Man in the Music by Joe Vogel?

^^ Making Michael. 100%.

The only positive that Man in the Music has over MM is that it is organized by album, and then broken down by individual song. MM is written as a biography, spanning chunks of years rather than specific material.

Nonetheless, MM has far more knowledge and insight.

Wasn't there a bit of backlash from the fans when Making Michael was published - I had been paying attention to it but then was put off by that and then didn't purchase.

I have been reading the reviews from fans recently though and it's made me quite keen to get it again.

Wasn't there a bit of backlash from the fans when Making Michael was published - I had been paying attention to it but then was put off by that and then didn't purchase.

I have been reading the reviews from fans recently though and it's made me quite keen to get it again.

Yeah some people on here assumed it was a hate book because it said things they didn't want to hear.

^^ That's exactly it.

Making Michael is written largely with the use of direct, complete quotes, so it's as if the collaborators are telling the story rather than the author. 90% to 95% of what is said is highly positive or takes lighthearted jabs at Michael - for example, there are a few funny stories about his poor driving skills. Nothing rude, just joking around, and it reads beautifully.

There are a few stories, however, that paint Michael in a less-than-positive light. Brad Buxer, for example, speaks on the Stranger in Moscow credits, and while he doesn't seem to mind that he wasn't credited, it's very obvious that he should have been.

Midway through the book, there's a section that speaks specifically about Michael's songwriting process (i.e., vocally dictating what he wanted to hear to a studio musician and/or having them play randomly until he heard something he liked). Bill Bottrell and Matt Forger said that the music that resulted from this process was of Michael's creation, and that they were simply the source through which it was produced.

Two other collaborators (I can't recall who right now), however, said that his process borders on songwriting, and there were times when a guitarist/pianist who came up with the chord progression in the final song was not credited and should have been.

It's a very unbiased book. Everything is presented honestly, through the mouths of the people who were there, and doesn't shy away from people saying, "Michael was wrong with this" or "Michael shouldn't have done that".

Don't let it deter you though. As I said, well over 90% of the book is immensely positive and a great read.

The book is brilliant and it treats the reader like an adult; it dosent pander to the usual romantic-sugar-coated line that Michael was always a perfect angel, but reveals him to be "normal" in the sense that he was capable of being a little devious from time to time, and a little backhanded when he didn't click with certain people he attempted to work with. I think it was Puff Daddy that said "He never told you, he just had a look on his face and you knew." I actually came away from the book with a far greater appreciation of how hard he worked and how incredible his team were.

He's finally presented with the same reverence and respect that the likes of The Beatles have always been afforded. And it's a richer experience for the fact.

Also, timeline in which everything happened is invaluable and fills in the continuity to the whole jigsaw puzzle that is the music videos albums and everything you'ed want to know. This book is for the serious fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one that was put off in the beginning. I read an excerpt of the first few pages and loved it. But then he gave a few interviews that didn't come across so great. In particular the Buxer story and that's ONLY because it was a 3rd version of the story.

But reading Aazzaabb's posts as he read the book made me really want to get it. I'm dying to read it now.

I'm one that was put off in the beginning. I read an excerpt of the first few pages and loved it. But then he gave a few interviews that didn't come across so great. In particular the Buxer story and that's ONLY because it was a 3rd version of the story.

But reading Aazzaabb's posts as he read the book made me really want to get it. I'm dying to read it now.
I've read tons of biographies and autobiographies over the years and anything on MJ always lacked depth (even Moonwalk was disappointing in terms of any real insight, although when I read the new edition in 2010 with the foreword and afterword from Berry Gordy I enjoy the book and thought it had a certain charm after all) But MJ "biographies" always tend to lean towards tabloid and/or there filled with errors. I did like Vogal's book for what it was but Making Michael feels like a genuine achievement in terms of MJ books. I can only speak for myself of course.

Back