UPDATE Audio Added - ATTENTION ESTATE We want the Bad Tour 1988 on DVD as It WAS!!!! Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible that the Bad Tour in Japan could be released on HD blue ray.

Japan was at that time using HD before most others in the world. And their HD was even better than our current HD. They used more vertical lines.

Janet's RN tour in 1990 was recorded in HD according to Janet.

Care to share a link?

Even the earliest HD cameras started coming out in the mid 90's. The HIStory concert shot on HD was even a prototype.
I'd love to read about this camera that shot Janet's concert. It's possible a concert was shot on film which could translate to HD nicely.

The way it boils down to MJ's concerts on HD is this.

Victory - Blu Ray possible - Shot on film. Several nights were filmed professionally for a failed feature film project. It failed because MJ and his Brothers were both working on it separately and couldn't agree on a release. Some have said that was MJ's plan as he was unhappy with the tour from the start. Full Video from the shows live feed for Monitors also exists.

BAD - Possibly depending on amount of footage for Blu Ray - Segments shot on film, some will tell you full concerts were also shot on film. Who knows, nothing has officially been announced. We do know that some footage was shot on film and HD transfers of that can be made for Blu Ray release. Multiple other concerts were pro-shot for tv viewing and EVERY concert was shot for the screen monitors feed.

Dangerous - Unlikley for Blu Ray - I have never seen any evidence of a film camera shooting any dangerous show. Every release and broadcast of this tour has been 480i video. Film could exist but it has never been released.

HIStory - One show can be made for Blu Ray - I have never seen any evidence of a film camera shooting any HIStory show. Every release and broadcast of this tour has been video. Film could exist but it has never been released. Two shows were shot on early 1080i video cameras, should look nice on blu. The rest of the concerts Broadcast and Live feed footage was normal 480i video.

Care to share a link?

Even the earliest HD cameras started coming out in the mid 90's. The HIStory concert shot on HD was even a prototype.
I'd love to read about this camera that shot Janet's concert. It's possible a concert was shot on film which could translate to HD nicely.

The way it boils down to MJ's concerts on HD is this.

Victory - Blu Ray possible - Shot on film. Several nights were filmed professionally for a failed feature film project. It failed because MJ and his Brothers were both working on it separately and couldn't agree on a release. Some have said that was MJ's plan as he was unhappy with the tour from the start. Full Video from the shows live feed for Monitors also exists.

BAD - Possibly depending on amount of footage for Blu Ray - Segments shot on film, some will tell you full concerts were also shot on film. Who knows, nothing has officially been announced. We do know that some footage was shot on film and HD transfers of that can be made for Blu Ray release. Multiple other concerts were pro-shot for tv viewing and EVERY concert was shot for the screen monitors feed.

Dangerous - Unlikley for Blu Ray - I have never seen any evidence of a film camera shooting any dangerous show. Every release and broadcast of this tour has been 480i video. Film could exist but it has never been released.

HIStory - One show can be made for Blu Ray - I have never seen any evidence of a film camera shooting any HIStory show. Every release and broadcast of this tour has been video. Film could exist but it has never been released. Two shows were shot on early 1080i video cameras, should look nice on blu. The rest of the concerts Broadcast and Live feed footage was normal 480i video.

Even though Japan was recording in HD you'd have to have a HD television to watch the footage of course. So the footage would have been concerted to standard definition but HD became a standard in Japan in long before the 90s. But yes Janet said in an interview that her RN Tour in Japan was recorded in HD and that she was surprised that HD is just catching up now all these years later.

Read below. Our HD lines are 1080 and standard Definition is 480 lines. Look at what Japan was recording in. Their HD was even better than what our HD is today.
[h=3]1980s[/h]Modern HD specifications date to the early 1970s, when Japanese engineers developed the HighVision 1,125-line interlaced TV standard (also called MUSE) that ran at 60 frames per second. The Sony HDVS system was presented at an international meeting of television engineers in Algiers, April of 1981 and Japan's NHK presented its analog HDTV system at Swiss conference in 1983.
The NHK system was standardized in the United States as Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) standard #240M in the early 1990s, but abandoned later on when it was replaced by a DVB analog standard. HighVision video is still usable for HDTV video interchange, but there is almost no equipment around to perform this function. Attempts at shoehorning in HighVision into a 6 MHz broadcast channel were mostly unsuccessful. All attempts at using this format for terrestrial TV transmission were forsaken by the mid-1990s.
The Europeans developed HD-MAC (1,250 lines, 50 Hz) as a video standard; however, it never took off as a terrestrial video transmission format. HD-MAC was never designated for video interchange except by the European Broadcasting Union.
The current high-definition video standards in North America were developed during the course of the advanced television process initiated by the Federal Communications Commission in 1987 at the request of American broadcasters. In essence, the end of the 1980s was a death knell for most analog high definition technologies that had developed up to that time.
[h=3][edit]

[/h]

Yes I am aware that HD in some form existed before the mid 90's, but was it a broadcast standard? And did they actually shoot everything over in Japan on this format? If so, hopefully the video from the Bad tour in japan used this format.

Rumors are surfacing again.

Here a french MJ information site reporting upcoming project for 2012: http://mjdatabank.com/memo/news/2011/septembre/20110930_billboard.htm
  • DVD release of the Bad Tour
  • Bad 25th in a similar way than Thriller 25th
  • An album of unreleased songs.

They refer to an interview article from Howard Weitzman on Billboard.
But when you read the article on Billboard.com, they do not mention the Bad Tour DVD at all (http://www.billboard.com/#/news/michael-jackson-s-immortal-won-t-be-his-1005382752.story)

Quote from Billboard : The 25th anniversary of the "Bad" album in 2012 may be commemorated with a special package similar to 2008's "Thriller 25," while another set of unreleased material to follow 2010's "Michael" collection is also being considered.

Wait and see :smilerolleyes:

Even though Japan was recording in HD you'd have to have a HD television to watch the footage of course. So the footage would have been concerted to standard definition but HD became a standard in Japan in long before the 90s. But yes Janet said in an interview that her RN Tour in Japan was recorded in HD and that she was surprised that HD is just catching up now all these years later.

[h=3][edit]

[/h]

forgive my ignorance, but what this janet tokyo 1990 show/video shot in HD then converted? looks very SD to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqqOmfFIKw

at least munich 1997, regardless of how it's broadcast, has far more detail than say, bucharest 1992.

does anyone recall the opening random crowd shots at the start of the "another part of me" video? there were definitely film shots of wembley as you could see the 'london' sign and security helpers wearing wembley t-shirts (some were blue, some were maroon)

Rumors are surfacing again.

Here a french MJ information site reporting upcoming project for 2012: http://mjdatabank.com/memo/news/2011/septembre/20110930_billboard.htm
  • DVD release of the Bad Tour
  • Bad 25th in a similar way than Thriller 25th
  • An album of unreleased songs.

They refer to an interview article from Howard Weitzman on Billboard.
But when you read the article on Billboard.com, they do not mention the Bad Tour DVD at all (http://www.billboard.com/#/news/michael-jackson-s-immortal-won-t-be-his-1005382752.story)

Quote from Billboard : The 25th anniversary of the "Bad" album in 2012 may be commemorated with a special package similar to 2008's "Thriller 25," while another set of unreleased material to follow 2010's "Michael" collection is also being considered.

Wait and see :smilerolleyes:

So long as the Bad Tour DVD gets released I don't care wether its with Bad 25 or seperately instead of just getting a Thriller 25 rehash.

I hope they will come with an official statement soon, would be so amazing if they do.

I really hope that Bad Tour 1988 dvd comes. It would be extremely disappointing for all fans if it doesn't. Does Estate know that we want Bad Tour dvd?

Last edited:
If they will release YOKOHAMA I will NOT be buying it. - That would be the first MJ product I will NOT want to buy! - The disappointment would be to much to bear!

If they do not make a great BAD Tour release I will be hugely disappointet!

BAD Wembley, L.A. or MSG - ANYTHING BUT YOKOHAMA and OSAKA -we all have those!

I don't think it will be Yokohama, the estate must be aware that's it's been out there for awhile?...I'm not too picky on which show they use, I do hope it's one from the second leg though :)

They should release the Bad 25 anniversary edition with the DVD and release the DVD and Bluray seperately with the Live CD.

TRUE!!

BAD released on BLU-RAY and as a Live CD would be great! - But NOT a concert from '87!

It needs to be concert from 1988 because I want to see Dirty Diana, Smooth Criminal, The Way You
Make Me Feel and Man in the Mirror. They could show it in cinemas worldwide and then release it on
dvd.

it needs to be concert from 1988 because i want to see dirty diana, smooth criminal, the way you
make me feel and man in the mirror. They could show it in cinemas worldwide and then release it on
dvd.

this !!!

To be honest any live performance of MJ on DVD/BD will be greatly appreciated..........

I say that, because the high sales it would achieve should prompt them (Estate + Sony) to release loads more...........and hopefully the Bad World Tour.....

Of course it must always be fully remastered (both audio & visual), because MJ must always be enjoyed in the best possible way!!!!!!

To be honest any live performance of MJ on DVD/BD will be greatly appreciated..........

I say that, because the high sales it would achieve should prompt them (Estate + Sony) to release loads more...........and hopefully the Bad World Tour.....

Of course it must always be fully remastered (both audio & visual), because MJ must always be enjoyed in the best possible way!!!!!!

If they released Yokohama I would not appreciate it - not on bit. I have that one and I have seen it 100s of times. - It is even released in Denmark, I have no idea how that can be legal, but I can go to any music store and buy BAD tour Yokohama in Denmark - it has even been on the official music DVD chart for several weeks!

If they released Yokohama I would not appreciate it - not on bit. I have that one and I have seen it 100s of times. - It is even released in Denmark, I have no idea how that can be legal, but I can go to any music store and buy BAD tour Yokohama in Denmark - it has even been on the official music DVD chart for several weeks!

Hmmmm it's not estate's fault that you illegally got access to the Yokohama show.

well to be 100% fair yokahama has been telivised.. SO Sony should know that it has been seen

The only reason I don't want Yokohama is because it's not really a BAD show IMO. It looks more like a solo victory tour show with some changes and too little songs from the BAD album.
Please give us a show from '88 on dvd AND blu-ray!

I think only way to get it is email branca and ask for this 88 second leg wembley and explain dont release YOKOHOMA its already out !
hihi

anybody knows how to contact them (email)?

Personally, I would like to have a double disc set that includes both 1st and 2nd legs of the Bad World Tour......

......both legs were soo different, and there are different songs with different performances!!!!!

I always wondered how outlets like play can continue to sell that concert. It's apparently a really poor product but I guess somebody got the rights because the mj estate could shut them down otherwise.

I always wondered how outlets like play can continue to sell that concert. It's apparently a really poor product but I guess somebody got the rights because the mj estate could shut them down otherwise.

In Denamrk it has sold very good actually. - It has been on the official Danish Music DVD chart for many weeks.
But it cna be bought in any musik store etc. - so for memefan to say I got it illegally is simply not correct - and a very serious accusation actually! Not fair.
BUT - SONY and The Estate should know that this is officially released and has been for many years - so if they also release Yokohama, even in good quality and with some extra material - it would be a disaster! - Personally I would NOT buy it, which would make it the first official MJ prioduct I will not support.

They need to release a concert noone has seen before. Otherwise it will not sell well and be a fiasco! - And if they release Yokohama they will piss off the fans again, and that would NOT be a wise thing to do considering the fact that many are still very upset with "Michael" - what they need now is to do MJ justice and make a spectacular release.

A BAD Tour BOX-set for the fans would be amazing! - 3 or 4 different BAD concerts and a hell lot of bonus material, rehearsal footage etc. - that would make all fans go crazy and that would also make fans more friendly towards SONY and future projects! - They saw how much damage angry fans can do to a release with Michael - they do not need that to happen again!

Do they have full concerts in great quality like Man in the Mirror performance in the beginning of Moonwalker. I hope that quality is like in that Man in the Mirror performance and Another Part of Me music video. That would be awesome.

I do hope its gonna come out in 2012 but i think they going to dissapoint us =(

To be honest it would just be a stupid move by estate if they release yokohama.

A: They are aware about the demand for a 1988 concert (regardless what we think they are not stupid), and really, after the Michael stuff that happend, excuse my language they should be D***riding the fans to a 100%

B: It inculdes Michael Biggest hits, Smooth Criminal, TWYMMF, Dirty Diana, Bad, MITM. It would just be plain odd if they choose to not release this..

C: Princess Diana went to one of these concerts and these concerts broke world reccords and ended up in the guiness book of world reccords. It makes me fuuurious when i think about the fact that they are just sitting on these footages like its not a big thing. Its a huge thing! And if its true that the estate only cares about the money then release it! This is a goldmine, imagine how well they could promote this!?

Comeone Estate, do it right this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back