Victory: Despite it having the best cover art of all Jackson records...

I love the victory album. That's the only vinyl album I have of any of the Jacksons. The only song I don't like is Be Not Always. I love hearing the other brothers on the album, they all sound really good!

i love the album, love the diversity of all the brothers. the only jackson vinyl i own by the brothers too

I used to have this album in a cassette format! :) Torture and State of Shock are my favourites. I recently heard the version of State of Shock with Freddie Mercury and I like it a bit better than the one with Mick Jagger. I do not like the video for Torture though the song is great. Watching/listening to those on YouTube brought back good memories.

Be not always is definitely my favourite, i just love the lyrics and how honest they are. Only the Jacksons could pull this off.

Victory is a bad album. Be not always and State of Shock are the only songs truly worth listening to. :)

Last edited:
well, i think it is their weakest album overall (not including 2300 Jackson Street which i've never heard) but has a few great songs on it.

Be Not Always is absolutely beautiful, one of the most underrated Michael's compositions imo. One More Chance is my next favourite and i also like Torture and Wait (ad-libs on the latter are just out of this world)

funny that i first fell in love with Janet's cover of One More Chance in 1995 (it was on album Remixed - cassette and vinyl version) and had no idea that it was originally composed and sung by Randy until i got and listened to Victory only 2-3 years ago for the 1st time, and Randy's version sounded somewhat 'flat' to me compared to Janet's, as if some instruments were lacking lol. keyboards sound very soft on there, i mean it's beautiful and more raw but i think i still prefer Janet's cover. the vocals are very similar but she (or Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis) added some jazzy flavour to it in instrumental part. but of course credit for composing goes to Randy, and i also appreciate the fact that he's playing most of instruments on his version of the song.

i'm rather unimpressed by the other half of the album, including Michael's often praised song State Of Shock.

State of Shock and Be Not Always are the highlights for me. In fact, I think State of Shock is one of the best songs The Jacksons ever did. Although, I really do wish they'd ended up doing it with Freddie Mercury instead of Mick Jagger.
oh yeeeaaaah!

I love that album. I have it on a cassette tape. I'm hoping that someday they re-release it with bonus tracks like they did with Destiny and Triumph.
That would be amazin

That is my favorite Jacksons album. I am listening to it right now. Right now it is the song The Hurt. I just love that song just like I love all of the other songs off of that album. Torture is one of my most favorite Jacksons song. OMG do I love Michael's voice in that song. That is to me probably one of the best Jacksons songs ever.
OoooOOOoooh, don't get me started on Michael in that song!!!! :wub:
Funnily enough, I had never really listened to that song! I would just listen to the songs I knew from Victory.

AND THEN.....

I listened to it!! lol. I fell in loooove with MJ's voice in that song. He just sounds amazing on it

Before this album was released I had a Right On! or Rock N Soul magazine (I don't exactly remember.) Anyway they (the mag, not the Jacksons) were talking about the album and said around 30 songs were recorded for it. They mentioned some of the titles. Several of them didn't wind up being on the album. The only one I can think of now was called "Lola" or something like that. I just remember it was a name. I think it was supposed to be performed by Jackie.

Well, I love the animated artwork of The Jackson Bros. :lol:
They look good even in cartoon form. And it's ALL of them!
album-victory.jpg

But really, this is one I dont listen to too often.
But I, (being the fan that I am :D) have a couple on
there that I absolutely adore: Torture and uhmmm....:scratch:.
Well, just Torture. But I still can relate to BNA simply because
of MJ's portrayal of the song. Beautiful.

But Michaels vocals on this track are irresistable!
Yes! Thats what I said! ^_^
I had to listen to TORTURE on YT while I was making this post
and I was amazed at just how dam good he sounds on there! Lol!

I cant really spot a "live" MJ stand-in in the video, 'cept for the
one running up the steps in silhouette and of course the wax
figure at the end.

Randy looking the fly-est on the album cover.
And ooOoo, Michael's shoes & glove are glowing!

"It was on a street so evil.
So bad that even hell disowned it.
Every single step was trouble.
For the fool who stumble on it."

Whoooo! Jermaine tore this song up!

But Michael.... :wub:

"Every little thing you find here.
Is simply for the thrill you're after.
(The vision of the lyrics and the "feel" of his voice on this part....I looooove!!) :wub:
Loneliness or hearts of fire.
I am here to serve all masters."

OMGawl! Off the chain!

MIchael was on fire with just his few parts on the song and no
'real appearance in the video.

Can't nobody "WHOOHOO" like MJ!
Not to mentinon his iconic and legendary "Hee Hee's"! :D
They just seem to stand out.
The vid being 5 plus minutes, (unlike my post :ph34r:) is too long
for MJ NOT to be in it. *sigh*

Body and Torture are the ones I like. I don't hate the album but I like the pre Thriller sound of Michael and the Jacksons best.

Back