Was the YouTube version of the Blood On The Dance Floor music video released physically?

The MJJ Library

7even's HIStory Corner
From what I've heard and seen, the Blood On The Dance Floor remix music video has been on DVDs and music services but the YouTube version never has, why is that?

Maybe so people will buy the product and not just watch it on YouTube for free..kinda..? I dunno 🤷‍♀️

Ohhhhhhhh (that’s why I put the ‘I dunno’ at the end of sentence because I was just taking a guess :] Maybe they did it again. I dunno
I was referring to the remix version of the video, the YouTube one never got any physical release

The 'Blood On The Dance Floor' music video (the original version with several previously unseen scenes) was released physically because it was included on the 'Number Ones' DVD (2003).

But it is very strange that the song was not released as a single in the USA, although as a single it achieved success globally.

Nope. Only the Refugee Camp Mix...
That's right. I got mixed up.

A "Refugee Camp Mix" of "Blood on the Dance Floor" appeared on Jackson's video collection, HIStory on Film, Volume II and Michael Jackson's Vision. The original song would later appear on the Number Ones DVD, which contained previously unreleased scenes.[1] Furthermore, Paterson recorded an unreleased, alternate version of the music video, shot with an 8 mm camera. Writer David Noh, described it as, "grainy, overexposed, and sexy as ****". According to Paterson, "Michael loved it, but Sony hated it and refused to release it".

Paterson recorded an unreleased, alternate version of the music video, shot with an 8 mm camera. Writer David Noh, described it as, "grainy, overexposed, and sexy as ****". According to Paterson, "Michael loved it, but Sony hated it and refused to release it".
This version was eventually released as the music video for the Tony Moran Switchblade Remix:

That's right. I got mixed up.

A "Refugee Camp Mix" of "Blood on the Dance Floor" appeared on Jackson's video collection, HIStory on Film, Volume II and Michael Jackson's Vision. The original song would later appear on the Number Ones DVD, which contained previously unreleased scenes.[1] Furthermore, Paterson recorded an unreleased, alternate version of the music video, shot with an 8 mm camera. Writer David Noh, described it as, "grainy, overexposed, and sexy as ****". According to Paterson, "Michael loved it, but Sony hated it and refused to release it".
This explains why Sony hasn't put it on YouTube

It was released physically on the DVD side of the Blood On The Dancefloor Visionary video single. These were limited edition singles released in 2006. https://www.discogs.com/release/762284-Michael-Jackson-Blood-On-The-Dance-Floor
Can confirm that it's the Number Ones version on the Visionary single. The Youtube/TV edit hasnt been released.

Edit - for clarity, different shots were used for the DVD releases. MJ rubs his hands up and down Susie's legs in the TV edit during the first bridge.

I've got the version on Number Ones. It's not one of my favourite videos, nothing really happens. Didn't really know there were significant differences. Strange that some releases only have the Refugee Remix.

Very strange that the Visionary single didn't include both versions. When you're paying $8 for one song, you expect them to go to town with the content, and not short-change you with just one version.

I've got the version on Number Ones. It's not one of my favourite videos, nothing really happens. Didn't really know there were significant differences. Strange that some releases only have the Refugee Remix.

Very strange that the Visionary single didn't include both versions. When you're paying $8 for one song, you expect them to go to town with the content, and not short-change you with just one version.
When the Visionary singles were released they were released as collector's edition. That was the point. It was a weekly thing. They were £5 a single in the UK and you weren't paying for "one song" you were paying for a collector's item. Each single contained two songs and a music video on at the time revolutionary media in that it was CD one side, DVD the other.

When the Visionary singles were released they were released as collector's edition. That was the point. It was a weekly thing
"Collectors edition" doesn't mean anything, lol. Don't get carried away with hype. They were DVD singles. Nothing more, nothing less.

They were £5 a single in the UK
Exactly. I bought a couple of them at release. At the time, most singles were £1.99.

Each single contained two songs and a music video on at the time revolutionary media in that it was CD one side, DVD the other.
Yeah, and a DVD can hold like 10 hours of high quality audio (ie 192 kHz/24-bit), or 3-4 hours of video. Instead, most of the MJ ones contained 48 kHz audio, missing most of the original B-sides, and... 4 minutes of video. Gulp. What a waste of disc space.

Bad only had one short video, instead of the whole thing. TDCAU only had one video instead of two. Black or White was in stereo instead of surround. You didn't get the EO version of Another Part of Me. You didn't get the behind the scenes stuff for In The Closet. I could go on.

You were supposed to be buying the best version of Billie Jean ever released. People expected a no-holds-barred release. Instead they got a skimpy load of crap.

Last edited:
The 'Blood On The Dance Floor' music video (the original version with several previously unseen scenes) was released physically because it was included on the 'Number Ones' DVD (2003).

But it is very strange that the song was not released as a single in the USA, although as a single it achieved success globally.

"Blood on the Dance Floor" was released as a single in the US. It just flopped because the song didn't appeal to an American audience.

"Collectors edition" doesn't mean anything, lol. Don't get carried away with hype. They were DVD singles. Nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly. I bought a couple of them at release. At the time, most singles were £1.99.

Yeah, and a DVD can hold like 10 hours of high quality audio (ie 192 kHz/24-bit), or 3-4 hours of video. Instead, most of the MJ ones contained 48 kHz audio, missing most of the original B-sides, and... 4 minutes of video. Gulp. What a waste of disc space.

Bad only had one short video, instead of the whole thing. TDCAU only had one video instead of two. Black or White was in stereo instead of surround. You didn't get the EO version of Another Part of Me. You didn't get the behind the scenes stuff for In The Closet. I could go on.

You were supposed to be buying the best version of Billie Jean ever released. People expected a no-holds-barred release. Instead they got a skimpy load of crap.
It definitely was collector's edition hence special box with sticker as first release with Thriller.

🙄Typical Internet MJ fan not happy no matter what you get. Least you can't pin it on the estate this time!

"Blood on the Dance Floor" was released as a single in the US.
Yes.
It just flopped because the song didn't appeal to an American audience.
It flopped apparently because it was not promoted as a single there.

Michael Jackson himself even stated that people in America would find it if they really wanted it.

It definitely was collector's edition hence special box with sticker as first release with Thriller.
Yeah, but again, the phrase "Collector's Edition" literally does not mean anything. It's definitely not a synonym for "really shitty edition", and yet that's what we got.

Typical Internet MJ fan not happy no matter what you get.
It was always seen as a poor product. It's not good enough to charge 2.5x the going rate for a single that's literally worse than the previous version. Again, $8 per song, or $160 for all of them. That's why none of them made the top 10, and some didn't even make the top 30 (actually, in Australia it was even worse: none made the top 50, and some didn't even make the top 80)! At that point, being produced in "limited" numbers doesn't matter, because most of them were left on the shelf anyway.

And yeah, quality matters. It could have been a unique showcase for a great new format, instead Dualdisc died out. We coulda had all the original B-sides and remixes, but we didn't. We coulda had great sound quality, but we didn't. We coulda had all the different versions of each video, but we didn't. We coulda had all the previously-available documentaries, but we didn't. It was Sony's last chance to get MJ to record an audio commentary for each video, and they failed, and now the chance is lost forever. That's why nobody cared about Visionary.

Last edited:
instead Dualdisc died out.
It didn't catch on because it didn't work well. Just like when the record labels briefly released CDs that couldn't be copied, which made some folks computers crash just by playing it. They weren't even trying to burn copies or upload it to file sharing sites.

It didn't catch on because it didn't work well.
It actually did work great, and had huge potential. It was a good format.

But it's never gonna work with the price Sony tried with Visionary - adjusted for inflation, it's $12 per song. And each single was actually inferior to the original single. There was literally no reason to buy it. And that's why nobody did.

In the last 2 years, I've been filling in holes in my MJ collection - specifically buying old CD singles for TWYMMF, Black or White, In The Closet, Who Is It, Jam, Remember The Time, Scream, Earth Song and You Are Not Alone. In every case, I sought out used copies of the original CD singles, not the Visionary version. Mostly because there are more remixes.

Scream is actually an interesting one - they could have included the acceptance speech when the video won the Grammy Award. Instead, guess what happened... They didn't even release the actual video!!

Last edited:
That's why none of them made the top 10

And yeah, quality matters. It could have been a unique showcase for a great new format, instead Dualdisc died out. We coulda had all the original B-sides and remixes, but we didn't. We coulda had great sound quality, but we didn't. We coulda had all the different versions of each video, but we didn't. We coulda had all the previously-available documentaries, but we didn't. It was Sony's last chance to get MJ to record an audio commentary for each video, and they failed, and now the chance is lost forever. That's why nobody cared about Visionary.
Re-releases of the singles were never going to crack the top 10....unsure why anybody thought this.

Also you really think any of what you said was an actual viable release at the time? Michael had checked out at this point, he owed Sony a set amount of releases and he was checking them off a list. There wasn't any creativity going into anything.

I don't know anyone who has ever said "gee really wish I had an audio commentary of every Michael Jackson music video" 🤨

Back