Was the YouTube version of the Blood On The Dance Floor music video released physically?

it's just a marketing term.
All music genres are marketing terms mostly made up by record labels. The labels are the ones selling the records. The term "rhythm & blues" exists because one of the founders of Atlantic Records did not like the previous term for music by Black artists which was "race music". "Country & Western" was originally called "hillbilly". Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin did not call their music "heavy metal", it was rock magazines years later. Miles Davis & Nina Simone have said that the word "jazz" is racist. Nina called it "Black classical music". "Rock n roll" was Black American slang for sex, long before the music was called that. Technically, the music "rock n roll" was originally just R&B by white artists, same as the later "blue eyed soul" & "white reggae". Elvis Presley's music & singing style was no different from Jackie Wilson & Roy Hamilton. But Jackie & Roy were labeled R&B or "soul" and Elvis is "The King Of Rock n Roll". At one time there was an "easy listening" radio format/chart, which was later changed to "adult contemporary". If you look at Billboard magazine since it began in the 1800s, the same charts were called different things thoughout the years.

Anyway I've never gone into a record store and seen a section called "dance music". In some stores I have seen a "techno", "club music", or a "house music" section. I've never seen a "Hot 100" record section either.. Hot 100 is not a music genre, it's a radio format (Top 40).

[...] Anyway I've never gone into a record store and seen a section called "dance music". [...]
Tbf, HMV in the UK used to have a section called 'Dance'. I think now it's 'Dance & Electronic' but it definitely used to be just dance. Although I agree most terms are made up by the record industry - or sometimes the music press.

The term is "Hip hop soul"

lol let's not be silly

It wasn't as successful because of the scandal in 1993 and subsequent payoff in 1994, obvs
More like the continuing steady decline and diminish of physical media sales. Though obviously certain sectors stopped listening to MJ, or better still, kept listening, ironically. Like so many seem to today.

Hmm, where to start?!

All music genres are marketing terms mostly made up by record labels.
Basically, the point of giving music any label is so that other people know what you're talking about. If nobody has heard of it, you've missed the point, as with "new jack swing". You've just gotta trust me on this - it's not a thing.

"white reggae".
Um, never heard of it. Sounds like nonsense. Again: just stick to the dozen mainstream genres. That is, you're gonna have to if you want people to understand you.

Anyway I've never gone into a record store and seen a section called "dance music".
That sounds like a you problem.

Dance music is one of the biggest genres. In fact, record stores in the UK only had about 4 genres (pop, dance, rock and classical/soundtrack). Very similar in France. It was only the bigger stores that started to further categorise (metal, rap, perhaps punk or opera).

Once you get to more than about 10 genres, you've over-categorised, and it starts to get silly. The LAST thing a record store wants to do is bamboozle customers with complicated jargon, because if people can't find what they want, they'll just walk out.

Hot 100 is not a music genre,
Nobody ever said it was.

Last edited:
Basically, the point of giving music any label is so that other people know what you're talking about. If nobody has heard of it, you've missed the point, as with "new jack swing". You've just gotta trust me on this - it's not a thing.
It's a fusion genre. It was an aesthetic like the "Minneapolis Sound", and the Beatles classic style. Of course people have heard of it.

Once you get to more than about 10 genres, you've over-categorised, and it starts to get silly.
There is way more than 10 genres, sub-genres, etc.

It's a fusion genre. It was an aesthetic like the "Minneapolis Sound"
Nobody knows this stuff. When I think of Minneapolis, the only thing I can think of is In Utero. And I'm positive you're not talking about that.

Again, when you start to talk about "fusion" you lose people.

Don't complicate things. If an album is dance music, it's important to refer to it as dance music.

Yeah, read the wiki link I posted above.

The MP3 format, including Winamp extensions, defines 191 genres. Nearly two hundred!

And "new jack swing" isn't one of them.

Because it's not a genre.

According to that poster all of these are the same exact thing:

gospel, folk, polka, avant-garde, new age, easy listening, Kahiko, jazz, showtunes, hard rock, zydeco, Gregorian chants, soft rock, hip hop, rockabilly, bluegrass, disco, rave, blues, opera, Tejano, salsa, classical, funk, merengue, barbershop quartet, bossa nova, flamenco, Hawaiian traditional music, Indian traditional music, Bollywood, free jazz, noise music, shōmyō, afrobeat, dancehall, calypso, go-go, etc.

I guess people go to a Renaissance Faire and expect to hear Dixieland or go to church to hear grunge. 😂

When people have to write a research paper for school, they all go to Wiki and copy what is there. Before the internet, people didn't know anything because Wiki didn't exist yet. :ROFLMAO:
But did you read the list? It's the same as the list you'll find in Winamp, iTunes or other MP3 player.

Again, they spent years researching and debating it, and went for the top ~200 most known genres. They included almost everything you just listed. But no "new jack swing". Because that's just invented by one record producer who wanted to distinguish himself by trying to create a brand...

Like, the Grammy people don't acknowledge it. The RDS people don't acknowledge it. The people actually selling music don't acknowledge it. Have you never wondered why that is?

Last edited:
Like, the Grammy people don't acknowledge it. The RDS people don't acknowledge it. The people actually selling music don't acknowledge it. Have you never wondered why that is?
I'm sure if you actually read Billboard magazine, you'll find mentions of New Jack Swing and all kinds of other music. Billboard does not only have music charts, it has articles about music industry people and not just the performers either. Even Rolling Stone magazine mentions NJS. The Grammys? They have little or no categories for non-western based music. I guess all of the different ethic music all over the world does not exist because the Grammys say so. The Grammy TV broadcast only show the mainstream popular artists, the majority of the awards for other categories are given off-camera. The Grammys has an entire separate awards show Latin Grammys for Spanish music artists in the USA.

Since you want to claim Wiki, then what is this?

Sigh. Why is communicating with you so fucking difficult? Sorry man, we're way off topic, and half the time I don't even know what you're asking. I'm out.

Come back to me if you can find something that doesn't mention Riley, Jimmy Jam or Terry Lewis, lol.

Because that's just invented by one record producer who wanted to distinguish himself by trying to create a brand...
"One" producer, and also Jam and Lewis and Bernard Belle. And literally everyone making R&B in the 80s & 90s.

If you're just ignorant of it, please just figure out how to say so.

And if swingbeat is on that list, your point is moot. Check for Swingbeat.
Nobody knows this stuff. When I think of Minneapolis, the only thing I can think of is In Utero.
If you don't think of Vintage Prince you actually don't know much of anything.

Look at the following.

None of these have any trace of the so-called "new jack swing". Because it's not a real genre, it's just a marketing term.
Here are some Grammy Award categories for New Jack Swing:
Best Male R&B Vocal Performance
Best R&B Song
Best R&B Album
R&B Performance
Engineered Album Non-Class
ical

But no "new jack swing". Because that's just invented by one record producer who wanted to distinguish himself by trying to create a brand...
Except again, it was coined by a journalist in 1987. Stop making nonsense up, please.

"One" producer, and also Jam and Lewis and Bernard Belle. And literally everyone making R&B in the 80s & 90s.
So it's R&B... It's just R&B... Those people were making R&B. That's why everybody calls it R&B...

And if swingbeat is on that list, your point is moot. Check for Swingbeat.
I didn't check. Did you?

*Checks*

No, it's not.

If you don't think of Vintage Prince you actually don't know much of anything.
Was this some sort of knowledge check? Smh. Again, you're complicating the conversation for no reason.

Here are some Grammy Award categories for New Jack Swing:
Best Male R&B Vocal Performance
Best R&B Song
Best R&B Album
R&B Performance
So... you mean... R&B? I just feel like we're going round in circles for no reason. My time is too valuable for this.

Again... I'm out.

So it's R&B... It's just R&B... Those people were making R&B. That's why everybody calls it R&B...

I didn't check. Did you?

*Checks*

No, it's not.

Was this some sort of knowledge check? Smh. Again, you're complicating the conversation for no reason.

So... you mean... R&B? I just feel like we're going round in circles for no reason. My time is too valuable for this.

Again... I'm out.
New Jack Swings qualities as R&B, R&B does not qualify as New Jack Swing. Same for hip hop. It's not hard to fathom.

Hip hop originated in the late 70s and it was mainly called disco rap back then; the term hip hop wasn't widespread until the mid 80s.

So why exactly does hip hop deserve to be considered a genre any more than new jack swing does when it preceded it by less than a decade? @R1chard sit down lil bro

Back