WE LOST THE G.O.A.T

Sony acted terribly, no question. But Michael was no saint.
At the end of the day, stick it those schmoes. Those record label lackeys didn't care one way or the other; he's dead now so they don't have to worry about how much he ruined everything. As long as they've gotten a piece.

I'm not expecting anything special, just curious. This is my first CD of music at all
@hope Pretty interesting that it should be Michael's artistry that caused you to get a physical copy of music.
What are your first thoughts about owning a physical item of music ? I am pretty intrigued

@hope Pretty interesting that it should be Michael's artistry that caused you to get a physical copy of music.
What are your first thoughts about owning a physical item of music ? I am pretty intrigued
Let me try to explain. Michael's work makes me listen to a lot more music than before. His songs don't bore me, give me emotions, they are complex, it's interesting to listen to the details. I felt that there are differences in the sound of different digital formats And I was curious how it would be on CD, I really didn't listen to anything on them. First there were cassettes, then radio, then digital.

I decided to start with Invincible because it's a very special album for me.

Let me try to explain. Michael's work makes me listen to a lot more music than before. His songs don't bore me, give me emotions, they are complex, it's interesting to listen to the details. I felt that there are differences in the sound of different digital formats And I was curious how it would be on CD, I really didn't listen to anything on them. First there were cassettes, then radio, then digital.

I decided to start with Invincible because it's a very special album for me.
Got it. I think that is really cool. The artwork and booklet and i guess reading the credits , must be another bonus too?

It is worth saying that Mottola has more critics than just MJ.

Off set, Carey’s circumstances were more troubling. She was dealing with the stress brought on by two breakups: her 1998 divorce from hypercontrolling Sony Music Entertainment chief Tommy Mottola, followed by her 2001 split with singer Luis Miguel. When Carey left Motola after four tumultuous years of marriage, she signed a reported $80 million contract with Virgin Records. Her first album under that deal was the Glitter soundtrack, a blend of originals and covers that matched the movie’s clubby early-’80s setting. While working on the lead single “Loverboy,” Carey and producer Clark Kent incorporated a sample of Yellow Magic Orchestra’s 1978 electronic jam “Firecracker.” Mottola learned of their interpolation and rushed the sample to Sony darling Jennifer Lopez — “thievery,” Carey called it. And because Carey had recorded a duet with Ja Rule, Mottola recruited producer Irv Gotti to set up a collaboration between the rapper and Lopez. Out of that came their megapopular “I’m Real” remix, which was released ahead of “Loverboy,” effectively forcing Carey to remove the sample. Without the kicky “Firecracker” beat, “Loverboy” turned fairly bland. After endlessly catchy hits like “Honey,” “My All,” and “Heartbreaker,” “Loverboy” paled.

...Every juicy story has a villain, and Mottola’s infantile duplicity led to — among other things — Carey and Lopez’s alleged feud. The New York Post in particular had a field day. “The blow that sent Mariah Carey to the hospital in July with a nervous breakdown was learning that Jennifer Lopez had ‘stolen’ part of her song ‘Loverboy,’” the paper reported, to the extent that the aforementioned sentence constitutes reporting. “A source said, ‘It literally drove her crazy.’” In The Meaning of Mariah, Carey said Mottola sought to “sabotage” Glitter as revenge for their breakup and her Sony departure. (Gotti corroborated Mottola’s crooked ways during a 2017 Desus & Mero interview.) “Tommy and his cronies went as far as taking promotional items, like my stand-up advertisements, out of the record stores,” Carey wrote. “Loverboy” managed to peak at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 despite weak radio play, buoyed by Virgin’s decision to discount the CD single to 49 cents. But it didn’t make a huge dent on MTV.

Here's the video of Motolla being thrown under the bus.

Is this more info about pop stars than people care to hear about? Maybe. But if you've got comments about it anyway, maybe they can be based on the truth instead of whatever you think to say off the top of your head.

This article talks more about what happened to Carey. Sadly it just locked itself up behind a paywall. Oh well.

If nothing else, both things can be true: MJ was in a bad place around this time, as one would be after a series of pretty horrible events, but he wasn't taking the break he needed. And also Motolla is a horrible dirty suit who used and abused artists and deserves investigation and exposure.

MJ didn't want to give up, so he was struggling for Unbreakable for TWO YEARS! He even hired a director Brad Ranther. But in the last moment Sony ruined everything. I just can't understand - why? Why this supid company didn't let him to create appropriate video, when he was plannig to do it on his OWN money?
Michael Jackson never planned to produce the 'Unbreakable' music video with his own money.

The singer (during that period) did not even have enough own money to finance the making of his 'Invincible' album, let alone a costly music video.
Then in History era, it was Smile song, that was planned to be a single with videoclip, and was canceled (because of stupid Sony ))) but a few Smile singles were released somehow. And in Invincible case, songs were in such shame treatment, that it eventually led to fatal consequences...
The 'Smile' project (music video, single) was cancelled by the Charlie Chaplin Estate, not by Sony.

According to press reports, the Charlie Chaplin Estate did not want the Tramp character to be given a different interpretation.

Sony did not seem to have a problem with that project, as evidenced by the fact that 'Smile' promo singles began to get a release by the record company and also by the fact that the singer started shooting that music video under the supervision of Sony.

Michael Jackson never planned to produce the 'Unbreakable' music video with his own money.

The singer (during that period) did not even have enough own money to finance the making of his 'Invincible' album, let alone a costly music video.
The book "Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson" officially confirmed he planned to produce video clip for Unbreakable with his own money:
"In March 2002, Michael decided to self-finance the music video for Unbreakable, directed by Brett Ratner, whom he met in January. But Sony said that Michael decided not to bother with the video and canceled all Invincible promotions, including the alleged singles Butterflies (commercial in the United States), Unbreakable, Threatened and the release of the song Heaven Can Wait on the airwaves. An appearance at the 44th Annual Grammy Awards in February 2002 was also cancelled. At the end of March, just five months after the release of Invincible, Sony removed it from its list of "international priority" projects. The album was Michael's first adult album where none of his singles could reach number one in the United States, Europe or the UK."

The book "Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson" officially confirmed he planned to produce video clip for Unbreakable with his own money:
"In March 2002, Michael decided to self-finance the music video for Unbreakable, directed by Brett Ratner, whom he met in January. But Sony said that Michael decided not to bother with the video and canceled all Invincible promotions, including the alleged singles Butterflies (commercial in the United States), Unbreakable, Threatened and the release of the song Heaven Can Wait on the airwaves. An appearance at the 44th Annual Grammy Awards in February 2002 was also cancelled. At the end of March, just five months after the release of Invincible, Sony removed it from its list of "international priority" projects. The album was Michael's first adult album where none of his singles could reach number one in the United States, Europe or the UK."
Despite what Mike Smallcombe claims about that, Michael Jackson was in no financial position to self-finance with millions the production of that music video.

The singer (during that period) was deeply in debt and near to bankruptcy.

More specifically, his debt in 2002 reached the 285 million dollars, as revealed by an expert witness who testified in Superior Court in Santa Maria.

Also, John Randy Taraborrelli confirmed the singer's huge financial troubles at the time (for example, owing Sony hundreds of millions in advances, loans and other money).

#WE LOST THE G.O.A.T.
YDQHVcRuk6c.jpg
Fan poster, showing how Unbreakable video could look like. I'm not really good in Photoshoop, but tried to make it as realistic as possible.

Last edited:
Back