What a Lovely Way To Go - discussion

Fuzball

Proud Member

The piano chords at the beginning that are recurring throughout the song sound familliar to me.

Since I've heard this song for the first time, I felt like I heard those chords before somewhere - but haven't found an answer yet. My gut says it has to be a Burt Bacharach composition. Anyone having an idea which song it might be? @DuranDuran maybe?

Sounds like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John and Imagine by John Lennon

I love the powerful vocals and the resilience in the lyrics

Oh, what a lovely way to go
Never let your feelings show
He was gettin' it down (yeah)
Talkin' in threes (Hi)
Hurtin' my mind, but my power was to feel

I am very interested in listening to the 2010 reworked version by Mark Ronson. This is one of those songs that could definitely do with some rework. In its current state, it sounds like a song that Michael sung while he and his siblings were doing chores around the house.

It very much seems to come from a “jam session” and it feels like it never really was intended to be used for anything. Nothing more than an on the spot creation.

I could also be completely wrong 😑

Agreed and although the Estate says it's from Thriller, I still think it's from mid 70's and a possible idea for The Jacksons self titled album

I am very interested in listening to the 2010 reworked version by Mark Ronson. This is one of those songs that could definitely do with some rework. In its current state, it sounds like a song that Michael sung while he and his siblings were doing chores around the house.
The 2010 rework is definitely circulating among collectors. There’s a chance one day it could leak in full. Judging by the snippet we have, it sounds like it’s more of a restoration than a rework, sort of like the approach they took for the Bad 25 tracks. Sounds like Mark Robson only re-recorded a few instruments and fixed the timing. It would’ve been great on Thriller 40, but alas the estate chose otherwise. Mark did state himself that it wasn’t 100% finished and he didn’t really know what else to do to it, but he was competing with much stronger tracks in consideration for the Michael album. It would’ve sounded out of place if it were included.

The piano chords at the beginning that are recurring throughout the song sound familiar to me.

Since I've heard this song for the first time, I felt like I heard those chords before somewhere - but haven't found an answer yet. My gut says it has to be a Burt Bacharach composition. Does anyone have an idea which song it might be? @DuranDuran maybe
"What a Lovely Way To Go" definitely has "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John and "Arthurs Theme" by Christopher Cross-type vibes with the piano, syncopation, and possibly some similar chords. However, you might also be recalling Michael humming the melody during the 93 Mexico Deposition in which he says he had written the song before "Off the Wall." Video:

Last edited:
Judging by the snippet we have, it sounds like it’s more of a restoration than a rework, sort of like the approach they took for the Bad 25 tracks. Sounds like Mark Robson only re-recorded a few instruments and fixed the timing.
It's a reinstrumentation/overdubbed. It's given a drum beat for starters so that makes a large difference. Extra strings and other things. It's more like Much Too Soon or Love Never Felt So Good, the acoustic demo and piano demo versus the fully instrumental versions.

Easily in the top three worst songs MJ had any involvement in. Even as a demo, it’s simply below mediocre in my opinion.
Petty sure Matt Forger (?) recently confirmed that it wasn't even considered for Thriller.
In fairness, how are we defining “considered”? I’m sure it didn’t reach Westlake, but I’d argue it’s entirely possible MJ did some touch-ups at Hayvenhurst, had it listed in some notes, etc. I wish the estate would expand more on that front, but that’s wishful thinking.

It took 30-40 years for us to hear some of the songs listed on the deposition... just how many more years will it take for us to hear the rest lol. I bet we're missing out on a lot of gems given on what we have heard from the list so far.
Maybe we will hear some more songs when we are in the retirement home.

It took 30-40 years for us to hear some of the songs listed on the deposition... just how many more years will it take for us to hear the rest lol. I bet we're missing out on a lot of gems given on what we have heard from the list so far.
I was already thinking about what a tortue it must have been like for him to produce so many great songs that no one had heard before.

Last edited:
Brancas as mortal as the rest of us. Unless he's been infusing virgin blood with olive leaf

Easily in the top three worst songs MJ had any involvement in. Even as a demo, it’s simply below mediocre in my opinion.

In fairness, how are we defining “considered”? I’m sure it didn’t reach Westlake, but I’d argue it’s entirely possible MJ did some touch-ups at Hayvenhurst, had it listed in some notes, etc. I wish the estate would expand more on that front, but that’s wishful thinking.
I don't think this demo went beyond what we hear on the released version and I definitely don't believe it was considered for Thriller and even with all the demos and outtakes we have from Thriller, this song doesn't compare to any of them

Back