What are you doing this very second?

I assume he sings it different? In the original it kinda has a bleating, sad vibe to it. That really adds to the emotion.
It's the drums. There's something missing from the live versions I've listened to. On the record the drums are beyond awesome. The best part of the song, imo. Ominous and beautiful at the same time.

And the strings, the piano, and the break.
Exactly so. And all sounding much better on the studio version, imo. Just exquisite.

Itreminds me of a Beatles song actually.
Using the same chords as Sexy Sadie. Or influenced by it, at least. Haven't listened to Sexy Sadie in decades so I wouldn't know but I've seen a few comments here and there making the same claim. KP def has a Beatles vibe, that's for sure.

Grading until I die. Send help.
I've always wondered about this,so please excuse my curiosity,if you will:
How does it feel to be a teacher?
Having gone through both by this time in life,could you draw a parallel between the ''student'' experience and the ''teacher/tutor'' one,nonetheless? How similar or different would you say that they are,really?
Last but not least,which one of the two would you say that you've enjoyed more,by far?

Last edited:
I would like to help you, but students abilities are useless in this situation 😅
hm,quite the opposite,really(at least in my view)..or at least it depends on the topic that @staywild23 is teaching,i'd say.
also,if i may ask,what do you happen to be studying? are you in highschool or in college/university?
(again,please excuse my curiosity)

Your writing style. How old are you? If you are a teenager, then I can accept it. But if you are an adult grown up, then I'm confused
I'm afraid that I wil start sounding like a broken record,but may I ask you to elaborate,once again?
Could you pinpoint what you find so wrong/irritating/''unacceptable'' about it,even?Furthermore,please be somewhat precise when replying to this message,nonetheless.
I have to admit that you've managed to catch my curiosity,really..

I've always wondered about this,so please excuse my curiosity,if you will:
Not at all! Answering these questions is a nice reprieve from the slog of grading lol.

How does it feel to be a teacher?
Being a teacher is wonderful. I really love it. I'm a college English professor (right now, I primarily first-year composition classes, but I also teach some upper level and creative writing) and I find great joy in helping students (those who care, that is) become stronger writers. It's really enjoyable for me because I believe so much in self-expression, and the empowerment that comes with being able to harness and use language at your will. My favorite part of teaching, though, is connecting with and inspiring students. The tragedy is when someone doesn't actually care about their education at all. That can be very demotivating and hard. I am very passionate, so when I'm met with very low motivation and disinterest it crushes me a little.

Having both by this time in life,could you draw a parallel between the ''student'' experience and the ''teacher/tutor'' one,nonetheless?
I have a lot of experience with both. I graduated high school and then went straight to college. After college, I had 6 years away from education, but then returned for a Master's degree and a PhD (so another 6 years, collectively). In all, 9 years in post-secondary education as a student. Each experience was different. Undergrad was different from graduate school in many ways. In all cases I was a very dedicated student, but I think it wasn't until graduate school when I truly realized how much of a role I play in my own learning, and experience as a student. Who I am in class, how I complete assignments, the effort I put in has a tremendous effect on how much I learn. It can't all come from the teacher. It has to be a 50/50 partnership at the very least.

I've been a teacher now for.... this is my 8th year I believe? I taught through graduate school and am in my full-time professorial role for a third year now. Kind of branching off of what I said above, part of the teacher experience is being very adaptable, and constantly striving to reach students who are different and unpredictable every semester. There are some common characteristics across all college freshman, for example, but your students are obviously individuals, so you just never know what you're going to get. It's a very unpredictable job and you have to be great at improvising to do it well!

How similar or different are they,really?
In the classroom experience itself, it's really not that similar. However, in terms of workload I think students heavily underestimate how all-consuming teaching is. For example, curriculum development, lesson planning, preparing for classes, always trying to push myself to come up with new ways of approaching things and better my teaching takes a ton of creative energy and time. Grading is also a constant battle as a teacher of writing. It's extremely time-consuming to give written feedback on student writing, which I always do. Where a student has one paper to write for a class, I might have 50 to grade. In the end, I put more labor into the class than they do. I rarely considered that as a student.

Last but not least,which one of the two would you say that you've enjoyed more,by far?
Because they are so different, it's hard to answer that. I absolutely love being a student. I wish I could get a second PhD, tbh. I just love studying, reading, learning, researching, all of it. The intellectual stimulation is incredible. I love to push myself and to have professors who care about reading what I write. It's hard to be motivated to continue doing that work without the built-in structure of support you get as a student. On the flip side, being a teacher (especially teaching in undergraduate programs) is not always as intellectually stimulating as I want it to be. I miss being pushed intellectually and feeling my mind forcibly expand. That is not a knock on my students at all, to be clear. They are wonderful. But most of them are 18-20 years old, so I'm about 15 years older than them, with much more life experience and education. It is my job to push them. It rarely goes both ways, in terms of intellectual stimulation that is.

That said, there is a huge satisfaction in being a teacher. As a student your focus is on yourself and your own experience of learning. As a teacher, your focus is on your students. You are joining them in the learning process. You are learning vicariously through them. You also can touch people's lives and lift their spirits and just support them in ways other people maybe never have before. Teaching is very emotionally fulfilling for me. You can quite literally pinpoint ways in which you change another person's life and that is a rare thing to experience in other fields. I also enjoy the fact that I can get to know so much more about the human mind by spending all of my time reading the direct thoughts that come from other people's brains. It's fascinating. I also learn about so many different topics as I read my students' research. I'm curious about almost everything, so it satisfies some of that curiosity. Also, it's just fun to work with younger people. As much as I mentioned above not being as intellectually stimulated, my students are hilarious, and make me feel younger by keeping me connected to the broader culture.

So... God, I hope you don't regret asking this question haha. But I wanted to answer honestly and, apparently, thoroughly. Also, you allowed me to procrastinate for another 20 minutes or so, so thank you! 😂

Not at all! Answering these questions is a nice reprieve from the slog of grading lol.

Being a teacher is wonderful. I really love it. I'm a college English professor (right now, I primarily first-year composition classes, but I also teach some upper level and creative writing) and I find great joy in helping students (those who care, that is) become stronger writers. It's really enjoyable for me because I believe so much in self-expression, and the empowerment that comes with being able to harness and use language at your will. My favorite part of teaching, though, is connecting with and inspiring students. The tragedy is when someone doesn't actually care about their education at all. That can be very demotivating and hard. I am very passionate, so when I'm met with very low motivation and disinterest it crushes me a little.

I have a lot of experience with both. I graduated high school and then went straight to college. After college, I had 6 years away from education, but then returned for a Master's degree and a PhD (so another 6 years, collectively). In all, 9 years in post-secondary education as a student. Each experience was different. Undergrad was different from graduate school in many ways. In all cases I was a very dedicated student, but I think it wasn't until graduate school when I truly realized how much of a role I play in my own learning, and experience as a student. Who I am in class, how I complete assignments, the effort I put in has a tremendous effect on how much I learn. It can't all come from the teacher. It has to be a 50/50 partnership at the very least.

I've been a teacher now for.... this is my 8th year I believe? I taught through graduate school and am in my full-time professorial role for a third year now. Kind of branching off of what I said above, part of the teacher experience is being very adaptable, and constantly striving to reach students who are different and unpredictable every semester. There are some common characteristics across all college freshman, for example, but your students are obviously individuals, so you just never know what you're going to get. It's a very unpredictable job and you have to be great at improvising to do it well!

In the classroom experience itself, it's really not that similar. However, in terms of workload I think students heavily underestimate how all-consuming teaching is. For example, curriculum development, lesson planning, preparing for classes, always trying to push myself to come up with new ways of approaching things and better my teaching takes a ton of creative energy and time. Grading is also a constant battle as a teacher of writing. It's extremely time-consuming to give written feedback on student writing, which I always do. Where a student has one paper to write for a class, I might have 50 to grade. In the end, I put more labor into the class than they do. I rarely considered that as a student.

Because they are so different, it's hard to answer that. I absolutely love being a student. I wish I could get a second PhD, tbh. I just love studying, reading, learning, researching, all of it. The intellectual stimulation is incredible. I love to push myself and to have professors who care about reading what I write. It's hard to be motivated to continue doing that work without the built-in structure of support you get as a student. On the flip side, being a teacher (especially teaching in undergraduate programs) is not always as intellectually stimulating as I want it to be. I miss being pushed intellectually and feeling my mind forcibly expand. That is not a knock on my students at all, to be clear. They are wonderful. But most of them are 18-20 years old, so I'm about 15 years older than them, with much more life experience and education. It is my job to push them. It rarely goes both ways, in terms of intellectual stimulation that is.

That said, there is a huge satisfaction in being a teacher. As a student your focus is on yourself and your own experience of learning. As a teacher, your focus is on your students. You are joining them in the learning process. You are learning vicariously through them. You also can touch people's lives and lift their spirits and just support them in ways other people maybe never have before. Teaching is very emotionally fulfilling for me. You can quite literally pinpoint ways in which you change another person's life and that is a rare thing to experience in other fields. I also enjoy the fact that I can get to know so much more about the human mind by spending all of my time reading the direct thoughts that come from other people's brains. It's fascinating. I also learn about so many different topics as I read my students' research. I'm curious about almost everything, so it satisfies some of that curiosity. Also, it's just fun to work with younger people. As much as I mentioned above not being as intellectually stimulated, my students are hilarious, and make me feel younger by keeping me connected to the broader culture.

So... God, I hope you don't regret asking this question haha. But I wanted to answer honestly and, apparently, thoroughly. Also, you allowed me to procrastinate for another 20 minutes or so, so thank you! 😂
Thank you! 🥲
This is exactly what I was looking for,to be honest. I know that my response to this seems rather shallow and not very well thought,but this is because there is so much interesting information to take in,hm..(but this is the best part about it,to be honest).
Nope,quite the opposite,really!Again,thank you! I love this kind of insight and background information,really..I've always wished that I'd have had it before,as I've always found the teachers' position highly fascinating,truth be told!

Thank you! 🥲
This is exactly what I was looking for,to be honest. I know that my response to this seems rather shallow and not very well thought,but this is because there is so much interesting information to take in,hm..(but this is the best part about it,to be honest).
Oh, don't worry about it! I know I wrote a lot to digest :)

Nope,quite the opposite,really!Again,thank you! I love this kind of insight and background information,really..I've always wished that I'd have had it before,as I've always found the teachers' position highly fascinating,truth be told!
You're welcome! I am like you; I like to get insight into experiences through talking to someone who actually does that thing I'm curious about. So I'm happy to talk about it anytime! :)

Back